Forced 2-2-2 Will Set This Game On Fire

It’s 100% your opinion. If all you play is DPS or Tank or Support, all it means is you enjoy playing that role. That’s it.

No, it’s not. I can go into a game, right now, start as Hanzo and finish the game as Mercy, if I want. That makes the statement true, not false.

That’s a toxic player base problem, not a “free to play what you want” problem.

Same can be said in our current system without Forced roles. You want 2-2-2, take it upon yourself to do it. Use LFG, invite some friends to play with you, etc. Don’t force the rest of us to play that way, just because you won’t take the steps to play the game you want to play.

Yup, absolutely they are selfish. The people who want Forced 2-2-2 are just as selfish, if not more than people who main heroes and/or roles. If you want a 2-2-2 Comp, then put the work in. As I said, use LFG, invite some irl friends, ask on the OW Facebook page, whatever. If you want something specific out of this game, you need to be willing to put in the work for it. Not force the rest of us to play that way, because you have a “my way or the highway” mentality

Me too. And I agree.

2 Likes

Honestly, this is almost never a choice made to “have fun”. Rather, it usually feels like a group consent to losing and flipping off the rest of the team, while “practicing” a less-played hero.

Thats the reason i rather have someone who has 100+ hours on dps play on dps!

I dont want my sr to get tanked by a surge of “noobs” who were forced to play healer or tank just so they can get into the actual game.

If we really want to go in a way what forces people into certain roles this is the only way i would accept it:

1. Stage 1, your team gathers and votes the number of heals, dps and tanks to have in the run. If your team votes 3 heals in the first round that means you are locked into 3 heal compositions.

2. Stage 2, after voting compositions the system randomly bans 1 hero from each role so no one can play those heroes.

3. Stage 3, after that everybody is randomly assigned to a role and can choose whatever hero is left to use.

LOL use LFG that’s a good one! The garbage system no one uses that actually nets you more losses than wins? I’ll have to pass on that.

Still a problem though, isn’t it? It’s a catch 22. Play what you want as long as it’s not x, y, or z because they aren’t meta, or play x, y, or z and get autobanned because of our toxic playerbase and abused report system.

You: “Technically you can play what you want :upside_down_face:

Swapping heroes is not part of the 2/2/2 argument. You queue up for a role so that you don’t have teams of 5 dps. Hero swapping is never leaving the game.

Fair enough. For the record, I meant this more as a QP thing. If you see 5 DPS, don’t try and tank or Support (unless you want to). Just grab a DPS too, assume you will lose, and just goof around/have fun with it.

I do the same thing in No Limits. I saw 5 people picked Tracer, so I picked her too. Figured we were going to lose, but I just did my best and had some fun with her kit.

In short, people need to take this game a lot less seriously. At least in Arcade and QP. If you’re going to pop a blood vessel because you didn’t win, maybe this isn’t the game for you.

Now, I will say, if you are getting 5 DPS in Comp, that is a problem. But, I have already stated I wouldn’t be opposed to Forced roles or something similar in Comp. But leave QP and Arcade alone. Not everyone wants your Forced role stuff. Its definitely not why I got into OW.

1 Like

I am 100% is dis-agreement with this. 2-2-2 is the only way forward for a team based game lik eoverwatch

This, again, is a player base issue, for the most part. LFG is fine, in theory. Its not my fault people didn’t use it right and the game puts you up against 6 stacks because of it. Thats a problem to take up with your fellow players and the devs.

This doesn’t mean you force 2-2-2 on everyone just because you’re not having the OW experience you want. You need to take it upon yourself to change that.

I didn’t say it wasn’t. But Forced roles won’t solve it. You’ll still get Winston players when you need a Rein, Hanzo when you need a Repear, Mercy when you need a Zen, whatever. (I’m just randomly throwing out Hero names, so don’t read too much into the heroes I’m “picking” for the point).

What I’m trying to say here is: Forced roles won’t change toxic players or magically make them play the game exactly the way you want. All it will do is drive away decent (Flex) players, like myself, who are opposed to this system.

Yes, it is. I just talked about this in another comment of mine. Let me find it.

Fritz said this:

Not really, there’s enough counterplay in each respective role. You can counter Pharah by playing Ana/Baptiste/DVa for example not just by switching to Ashe

I said this in reply:

Yes, but let’s say I’m Rein and we have a D.Va. But, that D.Va isn’t good enough to counter. Being D.Va is already picked, I can’t choose her. And because I’m locked into Tank, I can’t pick Ashe either. And, if our DPS players can’t or won’t play Ashe either, we’re just SOL in Forced 2-2-2.

At least, in the current system, I can switch to Ashe if need be. Or Lucio or Hanzo or whatever the situation calls for. Its why being able to switch heroes (even across roles) is important to OW. Forced 2-2-2 will kill all that. The only way Forced 2-2-2 will work is if: every player is equally skilled with every hero in the game, or at least in their role and that they will always be willing to switch to what’s needed.

Sorry to say, but OW will never be that game. Forced 2-2-2 or not. Because not every person will be that kind of player. It’s a fantasy/pipe dream to think otherwise.

2 Likes

So I’m selfish for not wanting to play reinhardt for my team? I never played him outside of fully stoned qp games… Let’s go low dia reinhardt carry is here. What do you mean, I have a shield?

1 Like

There is a time and place for sure. Sometimes it is fun to yolo and role a dps squad into a “proper team comp” just to try and squeeze out a win against the odds. However, most of the time in QP it doesn’t have that vibe. It’ll usually go something like 4 back to back dps locks, an off-tank, and someone filling a main or 2nd support… and then after everyone starts to trickle in the support and off-tank will switch to DPS to stop paddling against the current.

We need a place to go, like comp, where we don’t have SR to be gained or lost, like off-season comp. A place where we can have role que and wait longer for higher quality games. I wish it could be QP, but it just isn’t that. QP is the unofficial do-whatever sandbox mode with soft objectives. LFG in its current iteration still pairs and pits you up against other 6-stacks. What we need is something where you can queue up for specific role as a solo player, and be placed into a 2/2/2 game with other solo/duo etc. players who queued for their specific roles. It’d be like the 1 in 5 or 6 QP games where everyone naturally picks a solid 2/2/2 comp and works as a team towards the objective (they usually go better than the 4+dps instalock games).

I honestly see what you are saying, but I don’t think implementing 2-2-2 would impact the game as much as you are making it out to.

Say for instance Overwatch adopts the same matchmaking system League of Legends has where you pick your preferred and a secondary flex role so you would queue up as (dps pref, healer flex). If you get matched in the dps role, it would work best if you were allowed to swap between dps or healer should your team need it with only 2 of each role being allowed in a match.

It’s Blizzard’s job to ease players’ frustration from their game’s formula if they wish to see it have a long life. Currently people are not happy with the balance, matchmaking, and overall slow pace the game seems to be moving at. If Blizzard doesn’t address these issues, the game will slowly fade. With how much money they spent on the OWL, they definitely are wanting Overwatch to be a long-term project and the voices of their players are just as important as OWL viewership.

Honestly, any consequence of implementing a role queue, or role limit are better then status quo.

I’m so tired of playing games where no one wants to cooperate. Most of the time they are just stumps, and on top of a crap game, people want to get toxic because no one wants to solo heal.

Dps queue times be damed. Learn off tank if you want to play faster.

2 Likes

2-2-2 type queue at this point is another Damage stereotype. People are going to love when I only play Brigitte or Hammond and their Damage is only Symmetra and Torb( At this point the community deserves punishment).

1 Like

Well, another thread like mine mentioned Role options. Like, you can go into QP and then select Standard (the way it is now) or something like “Pick a role” where you queue as DPS, and it will put you in a game with a 2-2-2 and make sure you get 2 Supports and 2 Tanks.

Let me be clear here:

I’m all for the option of 2-2-2 and things of the nature

What I am NOT okay with is OW going Forced 2-2-2 as the only way to play. I am NOT okay with a “deal with it or leave” mentality that some of these Forced role people have.

I’m all for the option of role queuing. I’m not for it being the only way to play OW.

I hope that makes my stance on this quite clear. Thanks :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Forced 2-2-2 won’t make people cooperate all of a sudden.

You’ll have your genji main tired of waiting for a game queueing as healer and then playing dps zen or your reaper playing hog flanker.

You’ll have people playing brigitte and zen, d.va and hog, torb and reaper… cooperation will still be a problem, but now the flex players that can adapt and change roles during matches are screwed.

If I’m playing tank and there’s a pharah and our dps can’t play a hitscan I can switch to soldier to deal with her… or maybe our Ana can play Ashe and then our dps goes healer. This happened a lot of times in my matches, but now you’re forced to have your symm main playing DPS and not switching

1 Like

Yup. I have made every one of these points, somewhere, in this thread.

Honestly, I think people are so desperate for any change to OW (and it’s Meta) that they will try anything. Desperation doesn’t breed a good game, folks.

And, while I don’t think a Role Q option is a bad idea (like selection screen on QP. someone has picture ideas in another thread like this). I’m all for that.

I’m good with options. But, Forced 2-2-2 across all of OW, will be a cancer on this game.

3 Likes

And the fun part is that, at least in my experience playing from high platinum to low master on 3 accounts (ps4) and maining different roles in each one of them, I always have 2-2-2 comps in the majority of my matches.

At least for me it wouldn’t change much at the start of the match, it would only ruin those who want to win and can change roles during a match to adapt to what the other team has.

Now, if people are complaining about OWL, I believe a hero ban should work better than forced 2-2-2 to the spectacle

1 Like

it depends, it is more generally enjoyable than the games where someone sticks with a hero they are doing terrible at because they believe in 222 so much

they know that forced 1 4 1 wasnt much fun for them, thats an entirely different situation

i have never observed such a correlational, i dont belive it exists, some of the most coordinated games where none stranded compensations like 1 mccree 2 tanks asn 3 healers

you dont think, being able to point at the enamies that have flanked round the back and noone else has noticed woudl help? you dont think being able to point to the door you want to attack the point from would help? you dont think being able to point to a location and say “come here for healing” would help?

what is it you think coordination is?

1 Like

Oh you mean like what EVERYONE has been dealing with in games with +1 more DPS when we only have a solo zen healing or a +1 Genji into a Moira/Winston/Brig defense? How we have no shield tank vs a Rein comp and the response is “Well then you do it” when you’re already in a key support role and/or a need counter for other areas of the team?
Selfish, mostly DPS players, have been holding teams hostage since day one of release.

Yes 2-2-2 comes with problems.
The biggest one we load into maps 100% blind. Support on KOTH players but DPS on Assault would no longer be an option.
Yet other than that? These utopian flex comps that people keep pitching in threads of this nature, they are not really happening in game.

Most of the games are +1 more DPS and or +1 sniper hero you don’t need. Next to no one wants to play tank, most of all main tank and few want to run the level of support needed for a team comp. The few who might commit odds are did not want the role and even if they did they now suffer being the don’t have a 2nd support or a 2nd tank vs a better team comp.
Teams where no one can play tank or it’s all support mains who can’t play anything else at all.

my point is that while 2-2-2 carries with it issues, maybe after 3 years it’s time for a huge shake up?

a mic and call outs.
A complicated ping system is near pointless in a game like Overwatch that is fought in tunnel like maps where teams just fight and hold choke points. There isn’t anything to ping, being you can see it all on the map.
There are tactics, but you need a mic to do them.

I don’t necessarily view this as a bad thing. Encouraging people to branch out and try new roles is a perk of a role queue. Right now that Hanzo player would just stubbornly stick as Hanzo and not pay attention to the group composition.

Ideally they should have a flex role option. You could still get the Hanzo player above picking flex and then just insta-locking Hanzo anyway, but if it’s forced 2-2-2, then it could be circumvented by blocking him from doing so if the group already has 2 DPS in it. Like once two people pick DPS, the option to pick DPS characters is just blocked for the flex players.

Overall, I want forced 2-2-2 because it would make the game easier to balance for the developers and enforce meta diversity. You would never be able to have something like goats happen ever again.