Forced 2-2-2 Will Set This Game On Fire

And you’d never have them touch DPS again…

ITT too many people who don’t understand the power of choice vs forced systems

You force 2/2/2 you harm the game more than you think it will make it better

You also are trying to attack the largest portion of the player base

This is beyond stupid and completely short sighted

Also two posts up a guy commented on how it effects flex players who would be the most damaged by such a change

1 Like

I disagree. You can always have separate ladder for each role.

Well, Blizz has for better or worse bet the farm on OWL, so if GOATs is killing OWL something has to change there or the whole game could be in jeopardy.

What peturbs me the most in the interview with Stylosa is that Jeff seems resigned and in effect tacitly supporting a “meta” at any time as being “good for the game” when in reality its not. What is most desirable that has kind of been written off is making as many characters viable as possible to provide as many alternatives of play and counter-play as there can be. You can’t do this when you “fix” certain characters kits to change very little and must create very hard counters to deal with them.

I still say, character bans would do so much to help from giving players agency to making people experiment more to providing real data to Blizz on what might help characters and specific combinations…

I think character ban could work for OWL, but not on ladder

A meta is inevitable, especially in pro play. What matters is how much and how rigidly what’s played at that level filters down. Normally it hasn’t much, but GOATS has been exceptional in just how much has.

Fix the ladder, let the pros sort themselves out.

To be fair, you don’t have to be an arsonist to set your failed business on fire. I mean, it helps, but it is not required.

1 Like

If you’re a DPS one trick, but I’d rather have you sitting in a two hour long queue than throwing my match by picking 4th DPS TBH

Role Queue would lock roles so that Hanzo main wouldn’t be able to pick Hanzo if he queued as Support.

Not really, there’s enough counterplay in each respective role. You can counter Pharah by playing Ana/Baptiste/DVa for example not just by switching to Ashe

1 Like

2-2-2 role queue will most likely lock you into the role your queuing for. So people can’t game the system for faster queue times. You wouldn’t be locked into a hero but just the category.

Pretty much the only people 2-2-2 queue would screw over is DPS mains/ones tricks. Everyone else would be fine. So the people who can’t bother to play anything but DPS would need to adapt or enjoy those 30-40 min queue times.

If they implement 2-2-2 I know immediately the number of people playing tank would jump up. Cause the DPS mains/one tricks will probably play the DPS tanks like Roadhog and Hammond. Cause we know they can’t be caught dead playing gasp a healer. Cause that would mean they have no skill and all that nonsense they tell themselves.

World of Warcraft 2.0

DPS = 90 minute queue times
Tanks = Instapop
Healers = little longer than instapop

Might just be me, but Kaplan said queue times would be a minimum of 13 minutes for DPS.

In 1250 hrs, 67% have been spent on tank and support. I’m not waiting 15+ minute queues to play a 10 minute match. I and many other flex players would quit.

4 Likes

Why not? What makes ladder any different?

DPS mains will just pick DPS, flex players will ultimately leave if they never get to DPS. The only real positive is there is guaranteed 1 tank and 1 healer

2 Likes

Ironic, as a lot of players, such as yourself, have told them that, in other games. It’s why they are here, because OW gives them the freedom to play the way they want. If every game plays with a Forced system, where are those who don’t want that supposed to go?

Of course, because it doesn’t affect you, you don’t care. Honestly, people say DPS Mains are the selfish ones, but who’s the selfish one in this scenario? Honestly, it sounds like elitist, “my way or the highway” gamers like you are the problem, not them.

Sorry, mate. Just calling it as I see it

Exactly, there are plenty of games with Forced systems. If you want a game like that, go play it. Leave OW the way it is. The freedom it gives you is why people like me are here and spend money on every event.

That sounds like a dictatorship to me. A very “my way or the highway” mentality, as I said. If you a specific Comp, say 2-2-2, there is a LFG for that, or ask your friends to play this way. Don’t force that system on the rest of us, just because you* want it.

*For the record, I’m not say you, you. I mean the general “you”.

And not everyone wants “serious”. Some people want to be casual and just have fun. Which is how this game has always come off. The FPS for the casual player.

Now, if you want Forced 2-2-2 in Comp to help make your game all “it’s Comp, so we gotta take it super serious”, then be my guest. But Forced 2-2-2 across all of OW is a bad idea.

Even if they keep Arcade, as is, in Forced 2-2-2, that will still be a problem. Because Arcade is flawed in its design. It only has 5 slots and limited rotation. So, if it becomes the only place without Forced 2-2-2, it’s going to need more slots or a better rotation schedule, so we don’t end up with 2 Eliminations (like today) or 3 Mystery modes (like during LNY) taking up many of the 5 slots.

If Arcade will end up the sole place for those who don’t want Forced 2-2-2, like myself, it will need an overhaul. Or people will leave OW and the game will suffer. If you tell these people to just “deal with Forced roles or leave”, they will leave and it’ll kill the player base.

Heck, even splitting up the player base between Arcade and not Arcade will be a bad idea for the health of the game. But, it will be better than people leaving entirely.

I do find all this ironic though. They said they don’t want to add more Arcade slots because it will split up the player base too much. But, that’s exactly what Forced 2-2-2 will do. I just hope they’re ready to reap what they sow when it happens. Don’t come whining to me if Forced 2-2-2 kills the game, because those who don’t want it, just up and leave, or go to only playing a handful of modes in Arcade instead of QP or Comp.

Good point. But, if you’re already an arsonist, at least you know what you’re doing. Lol.

This was exactly my point. If a Hanzo Main queues as Support (and plans on playing Mercy) in order to get into a game faster (if Support queue times are shorter). Then, you now have a DPS main playing a Support they don’t know how to play, in your game.

This will happen in Forced 2-2-2. You’ll get the role you “need”, but not the player you need. At least, in this current system, you could end with a Flex, like me, who originally picked Hanzo (because I wanted to play him), but will happily switch if we need a decent Support (which I can also play).

Forced 2-2-2 will kill that ability. You’ll have to hope that people are queuing up for what they are good at playing, and not what will just get them into a match faster. And, I guarantee you, if DPS queues are too long, you will get that Hanzo main as Mercy, that just uses the pistol all game, so they can get into a game faster and play something like a DPS. It will be a nightmare for everyone.

Yes, but let’s say I’m Rein and we have a D.Va. But, that D.Va isn’t good enough to counter. Being D.Va is already picked, I can’t choose her. And because I’m locked into Tank, I can’t pick Ashe either. And, if our DPS players can’t or won’t play Ashe either, we’re just SOL in Forced 2-2-2.

At least, in the current system, I can switch to Ashe if need be. Or Lucio or Hanzo or whatever the situation calls for. Its why being able to switch heroes (even across roles) is important to OW. Forced 2-2-2 will kill all that. The only way Forced 2-2-2 will work is if: every player is equally skilled with every hero in the game, or at least in their role and that they will always be willing to switch to what’s needed.

Sorry to say, but OW will never be that game. Forced 2-2-2 or not. Because not every person will be that kind of player. It’s a fantasy/pipe dream to think otherwise.

I clarified this point, earlier in this comment, with my reply to Fritz. Please read that. Thanks.

Exactly. I Flex too. And, if Forced 2-2-2 is implemented, I will quit. Or, move completely to Arcade, if that doesnt have Forced 2-2-2

As I said earlier though, if Arcade will be the only place without this Forced role stuff, they are going to need to fix it with more slots/game modes and/or a better rotation system. We can’t have 2 Eliminations (that’s what’s in Arcade right now) or 3 Mystery modes (happened during LNY) with only 5 slots in Arcade. Especially, if that’s where the people who don’t want Forced roles will go to play.

Yup.

3 Likes

Or a realistic sceniario he will play below avarage making the teams with him lose repeatedly ruining the fun for many others just because someone thought its selfish that he doesnt let go of dps.

1 Like

Its 100% fact if you have 100 hourd on dps and 2 on support your selfish

This is 100% a false statement.

Overwatch gives the ILLUSION of being able to play what you want. In reality, you either play meta heroes or get flamed. It’s not a wholesome, you can play whoever you want type of game. You play the few heroes that are meta or you face the backlash of your teammates and potentially get banned from the automated report system because you exercised your “freedom to play what you want”.

Role queue would not kill this game. The same argument was made when League of Legends started using role queue. The game is so much better compared to the garbage matchmaker it used to have.

Same thing will happen to Overwatch. No one will miss the 5 dps instalocks. No one will miss the “our dps is bad because we got all healer mains on this team”. Grab a friend who plays tank/heals and queue with them as dps. Simple.

Same. 67% of my 1250 hours are spent on tanks and supports that I don’t really enjoy playing. I will quit so fast if I have to wait longer than matches are just because I finally want a chance to play DPS

2 Likes

Because you are not selfish for wanting someone to switch off the hero they have the most experience with just so you can play in that role?

I mostly play tanks or support and honestly i rather have a junkrat with 200 hours and a soldier with 100 hours on my side than someone who has been forced off from their mains just to fill in a role. Those simply never work.

3 Likes

The only way you can put the selfish bit on me is the fact that “I” want “you” to not play quad dps while “I” have already provided a great main/off tank. …“I” think putting "your"want to play a god awful instagib hero is much worse than my thoughts on how little freedom i really want anyone who can negatively effect my sr to have.