[Feedback Thread Continued] Mercy Updates - Jan 30, 2018

I’m too lazy to search the old forums but Jeff did say they will not revert Mercy.

I don’t think either was a good model for res, tbh. I think this one is about as close as we can get as far as balance goes.

I wish they would remove it entirely and give her a new, interesting and powerful proactive ability. I just don’t think that res is a healthy mechanic for the game.

2 Likes

she used to be balanced but then they did a bunch of stuff to her and now she is trash

1 Like

I agree she is very balanced now, but I find mass rez to be super cool because it was soo cool saving your team, and people would thank you and Mercy would actually be able to have POTG. It was fun, not saying right now she isnt fun but it was definitely more fun than now.

7 Likes

its not rewarding anymore

8 Likes

Mercy 1.0 was played only for the rez value. The new one is played as a flying healing wand to sustain damage instead of rez. A bit boring imo.
Bring back from the dead an ally is just OP, just imagine back in the day bringing back 5 of them who died from a Graviton + eblade. One ult that counters two instantly. But she was too vulnerable before the QoL changes (when rezzing she was invulnerable plus GA resetted to help her to survive).
The rework removed all her QoL changes and even with that, it was proved that was a must pick in almost every match for sustaining damage + rezzes.

When Mercy is put in a state worth playing by the players who used to love playing her.

They also said they were not going to add Deathmatch and uh… Look around.

Unless literally any other ultimate is in the equation.

… You argument for Mercy’s ultimate being powerful is that “she can fly”.

Pharah can do that all the time. How then, by that logic, is Pharah not brokenly overpowered?

No need to focus down the Mercy; just kill her allies on the ground. 60 HPS won’t save anyone from normal focus-fire, what do you think will happen if we throw ultimates into that situation?

26 Likes

Mercy want their res back - undoing the work of other people’s ultimates, but also don’t want others to be able to counter their ultimate…

It’s not like you’re forced to fly with valk up. It just gives you another axis to escape on and you don’t need to rely on teammates for movement during it.

Well call me no one then since I like it. No more hiding and waiting for my team to wipe for a 5ish man rez or seeing which Mercy gets their ult first/the better ult for a massive undo button.

I just miss Mercy shouting “Heroes never die!”

“I will watch over you!” just doesn’t sound as impactful as the old voice line.

7 Likes

Oh look, an opportunity to copy/paste an old quote…

""Resurrect has no counterplay."
Yes, it does. There are five ways to do so:

1. Kill the Mercy first. There are five heroes designed to move past a team’s frontline to kill their healers, three of which are in every game with how popular dive compositions are. They all have mobility options that allow them to pursue Mercy when she uses GA, and the one that is more limited in doing so has the ability to disable GA entirely. A common counterargument to this is “But Mercy heals when you stop damaging her, and she keeps zipping away from me with GA.” Mercy heals at a rate of 20 health/second, after a 1 second delay from not taking damage. If you deal half of her health in damage before she flies to a target, she needs 6 seconds to recover back to full health. You have plenty of time to attack her again. Hell, have a DVa shoot at her from across the map to disable her healing if that’s what floats your boat.

For reference, Lucio has a healing rate of 12.1875/second on himself without a cooldown upon taking damage, along with an ability that increases his self-healing to 35.1/second for 3 seconds. And yet, nobody seems to complain about him.

Another counterargument to option #1 is “But her team protects her.” First, you’d be surprised at how many teams hardly protect their Mercy at all, second, this leads me into option #2.

1. Let’s say Mercy flies to her team who protects her and drives off the flanker. Guess where Mercy is now? She’s in the middle of her team. You know those ultimates you were planning on using to wipe said team? Use them. If Mercy is close enough for her team to protect her, she is also likely in range of:
  • Rocket Barrage.
  • Tactical Visor.
  • Dragonblade.
  • EMP.
  • Earthshatter.
  • Blizzard.
  • Self-destruct.
  • Graviton Surge.
  • Deadeye.
  • Supercharger.
  • Configuration: Tank.
  • Death Blossom.
  • Dragonstrike.
  • Meteor Strike.
    Use those team-wiping ultimates you have saved, as chances are you will kill her in the process.
  1. If options 1 and 2 don’t work for you, just save one or two ultimates for the post-resurrection teamfight. You have the positioning advantage, the first shot, and have a few seconds to prepare once Resurrect has been used. A single well-placed ultimate can completely negate a full-team resurrection.

2. Stagger the enemy team’s deaths in space and/or time. Resurrect becomes useless if Mercy’s teammates’ deaths are staggered.

3. If you fail to accomplish any of the four options listed above, you can shutdown the Mercy while she is flying in to rez. This is the hardest of the four to accomplish, yet it is not impossible. While flying in to rez, I have been:

• Sniped by Widowmaker.
  • Hacked or EMPed by Sombra.
  • Killed by Junkrat when he fired once then threw his Concussion Mine at me.
  • Hooked and killed by Roadhog.
  • Slept by Ana, and then jumped on by the enemy team.
  • Killed by a Nano-Visor that was still active (partially my fault).
  • Stunned/FTHed by McCree.
  • Killed by Tracer + Discord Orb.
  • Killed by Soldier:76 + Discord Orb.
  • Taken focus fire and then finished off by a Reinhardt, who I had to fly past in order to get within rez range.
  • Accidentally sniped or Scattered by Hanzo.
  • Accidentally charged by Reinhardt.
  • Pulled by Orisa’s Halt ability which canceled my GA, and then killed while it was still on cooldown.
  • Mowed down by a damage-boosted Bastion."

The most effective way to use Valkyrie is always to fly as high and as distant from the fight as possible while still being able to slap a beam on one of your teammates. Then you sit their in your glorified spectator mode and either:

• Watch your team walk over the enemy’s team because they have increased survivability and the opposing team doesn’t have any ults of their own.

Or:

• Watch your team get mowed down because the enemy team had one ultimate of their own and/or chooses to focus a single ally down rather than spreading damage out across 5 targets.

It’s not about how counter-able Mercy’s ultimate is at this point, it’s about how there is literally no way to improve the utilization of Valkyrie beyond holding the spacebar and M1/M2. Most ultimates in the game pull the player in; Valkyrie allows the player to put weights on two keys and have a snack while they watch the fight from 30 meters away.

18 Likes

I didn’t say anything about res having no counter play. I have been saying that resurrect is a terrible mechanic for a game like Overwatch. Kills need to matter and having a hero that can undo them is not engaging or fun.

Mercy, with any version of res before current patch, is a cancerous hero who does not belong in the game, imo.

I’m not going to argue the point here anymore. There are many changes they can make for her to make her as fun and engaging as you mercy mains all want, just please, don’t let it be resurrect.

2 Likes

I’m still hoping for it to come back, too.

6 Likes

Old Mercy was actually no fun to play with or against. Hell, I love playing support and I hated playing Mercy because

A) It was boring (and still is imo)
B) Hiding isn’t a mechanic that should have been influenced in an team based FPS
C) It was SEVERELY powerful in that you were basically fighting an 11v6
D) It wasn’t any fun to play against because it just felt so punishing and unrewarding to have all of your work undone by one character hiding in a corner waiting for you to give her PoTG

2 Likes

As soon as they fix Mercy’s ult

3 Likes

You clearly seem biased if you’re out there in a mercy thread calling mercy cancerous and saying she doesn’t belong in this game. If she was put in this game, it’s because she belongs there.

Now the same could be said about res. In a game with so many potential team-killing ults, why not have one ult that brings teammates back? All it needed was counterplay during the ult like lucio (kill him before he casts it.) not a rework that turned her into an op monster then nerfed her to boredom.

Also, what isn’t fun for you can be fun for another person. Sure I don’t like when Mercy reses my picks but when I get resed, or when I pull off a res? Hell YEAH I’ll take it. There are many sides to the game. Next thing we’ll argue is healers make kills harder to get so let’s remove those too.

Anyway, saying res and mercy don’t belong in a game that is specifically created to be different from the rest seems like a poor argument, if not completely biased.

You don’t have to like mercy. We are all entitled to our likes and dislikes. Just don’t assume ow should be a certain way when it was designed with diversity and uniqueness in mind.

9 Likes

I am not saying mercy does not belong in the game. I am saying resurrect does not belong in the game, in my opinion.

1 Like

I’m glad you groaned when overtime was about to end and you were going to be defeated, but your Mercy rezzed your team and gave you a second chance it winning. I too like losing. /s

Mercy was an extremely passive hero, so it was boring to most. That was the beauty of her, glad you could share an opinion.

I agree hiding was bad, but to say it should not be influenced in a team based FPS is just contradictory. DPS hide all of the time to gets ult off, plenty of heroes leave the fight just to get the maximum effect out of their ult.

Firstly, this is suggesting that Mercys always got a 5-man-rez. Something that I think I only got once or twice in my 3 seasons playing Mercy. 11v6 is a lie. But even then, pickrates and meta reports from back then heavily suggest that it wasn’t “SEVERELY powerful”. She was confined to the lower ranks, it wasn’t all that powerful, exaggerating helps nobody.

I’m glad while you were killing the enemy team nobody thought, “Huh, where is Mercy, she has a resurrection ult and all”. Furthermore, what is fun to play against? What enemy ults triggers you to jump out of your seat with joy? Nothing, because they are the enemy, they aren’t supposed to be fun to play against because they are the one big factor that is working towards your loss. It’s human nature to dislike loss.

12 Likes

My bad then, I misunderstood. Although I argued in favor of res being in the game too in my previous reply.

1 Like

They could just make it so that her ultimate starts decaying slowly after a certain amount of time not doing something, eg 7-10 seconds to stop the hide and res myth which hardly happened and instead of invulnerability give her like 300 added shield health which means she can be taken out by most instakill ultimates like Dva Bomb and junk tire or at least be gunned down quickly. There, problem solved, I really didn’t see the need for a rework in the first place.

2 Likes