[Feedback Thread Continued] Mercy Updates - Jan 30, 2018

Thats the thing; there were counters to minimizing Rezes value, but no way to negate it’s value.

All abilities have counters, and they have ways to outright negate it except Rez which only had counters and no way to outright negate it other than “kill Mercy first” which not only is it not a real counter to Rez, it also in many cases was a matter of how slippery was the Mercy trying to get the Rez off.

I had successfully juked tripple solo ults between soul globes and popped Rez and killed an enemy tank with my peashooter while invincible before finally dying. I was REALLY slippery, but I never once had to consider where the target was that I was Rezing because once that effect started there was zero way for the enemy to negate that value that I just created. They could rekill the person, but thats one less thing they are doing to whittle down the rest of my team. They have to regain the previously gained value of a pick by getting that pick again, assuming they could get the pick right when invulnerability wore off. If the Rez could be negated before it completed I’d have had to be significantly more considerate of where I popped that. Much like Junkrat’s Tire, you have to be sure you can get the tire in range and det, otherwise it gets shot down and it’s value negated. If there is a D.Va, you don’t go popping a bunch of the DPS ults until she’s demeched so she can’t just nom it and negate the value. If you’re Zen and about to Trance, you make sure the enemy Ana isn’t going to anti-heal nade your team. If you D.Va bomb, Rein can charge it away, Hog can hook it behind a barrier, or you can block it with a barrier, Zarya bubbles, or Lucio Barrier. ETC. But again, Rez had nothing like this and it is again the one and only single ability to do this.

The best thing is to put valkyria on the E (with greatly reduced effects) the res in ulti with a maximum of 3 targets and a maximum range of action and LoS. Instant cast and invulnerability for mercy.
We do not say nonsense, the res can not have cast, it’s ridiculous it’s frustrating it’s not funny. Mercy is mobility, you can not cast the ress, is one of the reasons why here we write that now it is not fun.
I doubt that the blizzard is going to do another rework in mercy, but at least in the short term put instantaneously on the ulti with only one charge. At least the ultimate would make sense.
The problem if only created because the ress was put as a skill, and so to balance it have made mercy a pole, frustrating to play it. The only solution is to remove the ress as a skill.
Blizzard we are entitled to an answer after all these days, what do you want to do with mercy? If you leave it like that, your icon hero dies: it’s not funny, main mercy do not care if it’s OP or not, but if it’s funny or not.

2 Likes

Resurrects value isn’t from the resurrect itself. Its from winning the team fight, objective etc.

If you kill all the people Mercy resurrected you not only cause the ultimate to have had no value. You actually cause it to have negative value. Your team not only wins the team fight and objective. But, they also get more time to cap, defend etc. Mercys team has to wait for the full respawn time + however long they were already dead for to effectively respawn.

Plus most of the time you get free ult charge from the Mercy resurrecting. There is a reason that in higher tiers of play Mercy saw less and less playtime in her original state. Resurrect is over valued by many. Having your team die is not good. That is time the enemy team can start capping an objective, get into a better position and heal up to full. Mercys team is at a disadvantage when they get resurrected. If the team opposing that Mercy isn’t prepared to deal with a resurrection then they wasted that valuable time they had to prepare.

1 Like

So, instant cast of Transcendence has no counter once you press “Q”.
Sombra’s Ult, once “Q” is pressed has no counter.
Doomfist’s Ult, you can’t even find him after he presses “Q” till he lands.

All of THOSE have value, and no counters once “Q” is pressed. So why is it such a big deal?
Actually there ARE ways to counter Mercy, IF DPS would just do it:

1. Kill the Mercy before Ult. I can’t tell you how many times I was Solo-Ulted just before they used other Ults to kill the rest of the team. Much less “Flash-Bang” and 3 shot, Widowmaker/Hanzo head shot, Genji slashed, etc.
  2. Save an Ult in case Mercy has Rez to kill everyone again. Had this one, coming back from spawn and found my team dead after enemy team used 3 Ults, pulled a PERFECT 5 man Rez, which by the way are rare. Dang Tracer threw in her Pulse Bomb and turned my 5 man Rez into a Team Kill for the Tracer, as well as a PoG for her.

Don’t tell me there were no counters for Mercy 1.5, because there were. You just had to plan for it. An since she is not the ONLY hero who has no counters once “Q” is pressed, why is it she is the ONLY one who has her Ultimate taken away?
“For Balance?” Yeah, right… Try more of “Mercy is a no skill character, why does she have a game changing Ultimate” said by DPS mains.
I am so tired of hearing “Mercy ONLY Rezed after her team died and pulled a “Hide and Rez”” I NEVER played “Hide and Rez”, though I would get out of the way of an Ult or stop where I was so that IF they were after me I would be the only one taken out. NOW, I have to “Hide TO Rez”, wasn’t that the reason for the Rework?
Yes, yes it was.
That and the SR problem, that they fixed with the Rework. I have been Hacked when I needed to use Rez, preventing it and allowing enemy team to take point as well. While you plan does have merit, I bet they won’t even take an original version and play it on a separate server, not PTR, to test it out themselves. Much less take the current version and play with it and see how un-fun and useless Mercy has actually become in comparison.
8, count them 8 separate Mega-threads and they STILL will not answer us except in a post that had nothing to do with Mercy…
I have really given up on the game in general because of all this nonsense…

18 Likes

Honestly, I’m tired of these mega threads that are useless. They only put it to give us the feeling that we are important to them. We are writing the same things for days. What does Blizzard think of doing in the near future? This is the question, otherwise why do we write? Just to let off steam? Is there a possibility, reading our feedback, that they change current mercy?
Mercy now sucks, it’s not funny.
We do not want OP mercy, we want it fun.

9 Likes

Clearly will take more than 3 months

1 Like

They have the staff to work in parallel. If they want to do it …

I don’t think they want… her kit it too “Basic” for the pro - plays… your absolutely right. They don’t care and i wonder if they read half of the posts in this thread

Question is why they even tried to bring Mercy in pro play. She was rarely ever used in higher tiers, which choose Ana instead.

2 Likes

Good quastion!!! Maybe Blizzard can asnwer this one

well, they failed here also

More like they succeeded beyond expectations, and had to nerf her to current state. Still, I wonder who got bright idea of bringing simple hero, without damage dealing potential (unlike other supports) into pro games.

1 Like

I wouldn´t say that. I like the Idea to make a hero capable for every skill-level. They did it best with reinhardt so far: he is easy to learn, but his max skill level is one of the highest in the game I would say (mechanical skill). Mercys skill-curve is at the moment the flattest of the whole game in my opinion. That was the reason to introduce valk, to stretch this skill-curve. But they failed miserably!

But all in all, I would not doom this idea. I hope they will do something with reaper too in the future

“Viable at every skill level” and “balanced” exclude each other. You can make hero viable on all skill levels, but that hero will be overpowered on lower tiers of competitive. If you make hero balanced, that hero is no longer viable either at lower or higher tiers.

Mercy before rework was non-viable at higher tiers, where players were better at aiming and could stop her before mass resurrect was used. After rework, even pro players had problems with stopping her flight between teammates, bringing them back.

That’s issue with support heroes: they can be extremely powerful, if enemy team is uncoordinated(Moira falls into this category), but lose their power when going into higher tiers.

Opposite is example of Ana: she is viable at higher tiers, but uncoordinated team can’t use her, so she isn’t option at lower tiers.

still, you have to explain why it works with reinhardt then. And roadhog is also not in the worst place now, despite he is also a “one star hero”. Or look at Soldier, who is maybe the best example!
Mercy 2.0 is just a “worst case scenario”, not a proof that it is not possible. It IS possible, but it needs a lot of hard work.

Of course there are harder heroes who are “useless” at lower levels, but there the “star system” in terms of difficulty makes totally sense.

Every Hero Shoould Be VIable IN ALL TIERS!!! Every hero deserves to be in OWL

2 Likes

Thats what I am saying, I don´t know the purpose to banish mercy in the lower tiers…
After all, it destroys the discussion that valk needs “no real skill” even more

With heroes having different difficulty, it’s unlikely. And some heroes rely on enemy team being uncoordinated. Torbjorn can be trouble, if enemy team can’t get to his turret, but quickly neutralized otherwise.

This just tramples down Nano boost, which gives 50% damage reduction and 50% damage increase to one target for 8 seconds. It would not be fair to basically be able to provide the same (minus 20% boost) for twice the duration for potentially a whole team.

You can’t heal while damage resistance is active, it’s added so team isn’t instantly eliminated when you switch off healing.

Nano boost deserves a buff though, since Orisa gets 50% damage resistance as ability.