"Every player equally equipped"

It’s not just an FPS cap. If we are talking hardware bans that means Blizz has to go through and determine what is the “acceptable” hardware. That means the thousands of people that play with thousands of unique hardware setups have to now go out and purchase new things to meet these requirements. This is why hardware bans are silly. If it’s a software ban it’s a simple as uninstalling whatever you installed which costs a grand total of 0 dollars and probably all of 20 seconds to remove.

If after this you still can’t see why hardware band are silly then I feel you are just trolling.

Listen buddy - they don’t have to ban anyone’s hardware. Simply limiting the advantages they give such as with a 60 FPS lock would do the same job. Why would anyone need to go out and purchase new anything?

You know what? I like that idea. Might actually have a reason to put my foot pedal to use. What software are you using to map the pedals? Or can you just map them like regular keys in game? And you have three separate pedals?

That’s actually pretty smart using a mouse button for your abilities so you don’t have to take your hands off the movement keys. So for example, I imagine you’ve remapped your E key (ability 2) to one of your mouse buttons? Are you consistently able to hit the correct mouse buttons? I’d struggle if I had to remember 7 mouse buttons.

No it is not.
The only thing this programs are accessing is the output on your screen.
They are not modifying anything from Overwatch nor accessing the address space of Overwatch while it is running, and they are also not accessing the network stream to extract any data (which hopefully is encrypted anyway, so would be pointless)

That´s also why they are technically not violating Blizzard´s EULA, besides the vague definition of gaining any advantage which could be everything and nothing. The same way you could argue a graphics driver that allows you to change the output to make things better visible for you is giving you an advantage.

That´s also why they are warning people instead of simply banning them, because if they would do that for enough people they would sue blizzard, and their vague TOS would never hold on court.

The big problem with this that blizzard tells user what kind of software they are allowed to use on their computers.

It is my computer, I have paid for it, I have paid for the software that runs on it, and nobody in the world has any right to prohibit me to run any software on my hardware, as long as the software itself is not illegal.

1 Like

Hmm what about keyboard and mouse on console. That’s way worse

Well if blizzard dont want you to run a program along side their game and they have preventative measures to do so. I’m afraid thats how its going to be. Its all in there in their T&Cs.

Im personally not against this software/program for the record even though I wont use it.

oh so you say that everyone with hardware better than minimal requirements for OW and mouse and keyboard better than office tech should be banned? Maybe you should be banned if you play not on CRT monitor, because some player may have 4k 144hz lcd monitor?

You’re misinformed. Data mining is prohibited. EULA 1 C. vi.

Data Mining: Use any unauthorized process or software that intercepts, collects, reads, or “mines” information generated or stored by the Platform; provided, however, that Blizzard may, at its sole and absolute discretion, allow the use of certain third-party user interfaces.

You’re also wrong, read the EULA but scroll down to 1.C.vi.

Also, they’re not saying anything about what software you are allowed to run, they’re saying what software can interact with their IP.

(and yes, Pursuit injects code into the Overwatch process in order to capture the gameplay, the OBS GameCapture plugin works by hooking Direct3D)

Technically, people could run Visor and Pursuit on another computer. You input the video feed to the secondary computer. And if Pursuit and visor can just look at the screen. Their picture captures and prompts could be displayed on the other PC. Person just looks to their right for prompts. Because both programs are just eyeballs looking at the video image. So unless they ban capture programs like OBS. People will get around this. Because they’re not using the game itself.

The difference in 144hz monitors are significantly noticeable when transitioning from a 60hz one. Don’t spread misinformation please.

Yes, but Blizzard make their stance on that clear. Presumably it’s outside of their control or they’d prevent it.

three foot pedals that default to numbers 7, 8, and 9 so no software was needed.

I never have problems with the buttons on my mouse. I use the left side of the wheel for abilities, and the right side for quick chat messages such as needing healing and thanks. Trust me it is really easy to get used to it. The only character i sometimes have issues with is widowmaker since my zoom is a side button and the poison mine is one button above. Sometimes when firing i will accidentally launch a mine.

I live in EU and we have consumer protection laws that make any EULAs invalid the way they are presented nowadays (the small text on the package saying you have to agree to the EULA if you wanna use the software is not enough to make a valid contract)

The thing is they are not interacting in any way with their IP.
You could in theory stream your gameplay instead of twitch to the visor/pursuit-servers and get the same results.

Oh wow someone is salty. Don’t worry that 500 dollar monitor is worth every penny, and you’ll get out of mediocre plat any day now.

They don’t invalidate EULAs, but a court can decide that some part of one is unreasonable.

And yes, they interact with it by capturing the screen and extracting information.

You may argue that Blizzard should allow this, but there really is no argument about if it’s violating the EULA right now.

EULAs are not per se invalid, but they have to be part of the purchase contract.
The purchase contract happens the moment you give money to the cashier and take the box that says Overwatch on the logo with you.
For the EULA to be valid, the cashier would need to give you the EULA to read and sign in this moment, which never happens.
Everything that happens after the purchase contract is done (e.g. at home when you are installing the software) and was not part of the original purchase contract is invalid.

BTW: It is somewhat different if you buy the game online in their battle.net store.
If you buy software online, you usually get the EULA before/as part of your decision to buy something. In this case the EULA is generally valid, because it is part of the purchase contract.

This is it, they are interacting with the screen, or more accurate with the video memory. The screen/video memory is not part of Blizzards IP

2 Likes

That seems more like the user than the game and Devs. Our did you expect the Devs limit the game to those only with certain specs? The game provides everything the player needs to play the game and do good with it. The rest is the player to do.

Yes please. Tomorrow if possible. After Blizzard changed the tick rate by removing the throttling, the game didn’t change at all for me. Living in Anchorage Alaska I still get shot behind walls, I still have to aim off center at enemy players, and my abilities get overwritten by favor the shooter BS all the time. What did change was those who whined about it became “better players” over night.

The main argument was “I pay super lots of money for my internet and I shouldn’t be forced to play at 25 RTT.” Well, I pay $175.00 a month for 115 average latency. You cannot get better internet here. While I lived in Phoenix Arizona I paid $30.00 a month for the same speed and 30 latency to Blizzard servers. Sorry but I feel the throttling of tick rate was the very definition of “Every player equally equipped”.

Thing is, the EULA is for access to the platform, and you agree to it when creating a Blizzard account, not when buying a game.

Everything on the screen is Blizzards IP. You don’t seem to understand the subject really.