"Every player equally equipped"

It’s not our fault you’re using outdated tech. Should we all use potato PCs as well? And all play on colorblind mode? And forbid remapping? Just so everything is fair, you know.

1 Like

If we’re going to make it fair to the lowest common denominator, why don’t we go the whole nine yards and remove sound from the game?

1 Like

I certainly don’t believe we should, no - but that’s the path Blizzard would have to go down if they actually believed that the foundation of competition is a level playing field.

1 Like

Honestly if a game capped everything at 60fps it wouldn’t last very long on PC. Many players have spent the money to get the better frames, and have better monitors/video cards.

As stated many times in the past, the difference in 60fps and 120/144 etc is vast, and to go from a fluid feeling experience to a jittery screen tearing mess would literally be a nail in the coffin of most games.

Thinking from Blizzard’s point of view they’d probably want to look at what the majority of players are using - 1080p and 60hz seems to be the most common standard - and go from there. But you’re right, they could also have a never ending road of making it fair to the lowest common denominator, which I agree would be ridiculous.

It is not our fault you are not using the internet to find guides and software that can make you better in playing the game faster, FOR FREE.

2 Likes

Of course it would not.

But it still is hypocritical from blizzard not allowing software to help to get you better in the game (i am not talking about software that is playing the game for you, which obviously is cheating), but allow hardware that can make you play the game better.

Nah, if they want a level playing field they just need to state the level of hardware the game’s balanced for and hard-cap things like FPS and field of vision to not go beyond a certain value.

If they said the game is balanced around having two free cores available at minimum 2.7ghz, a 1070ti or equivalent, and a 1920x1080 16:9 monitor at 100hz (example - I know OW runs fine on less), then anyone who doesn’t have that or better simply doesn’t want to play competitively. It’s still balanced, though.

Heh, we sure have come a long way from the old “the human eye cannot process any difference over 60 FPS.” :sweat_smile: It’d be nice if they just balanced everything around 144 and said as much so we know what hardware to use.

1 Like

Argument of availability along with allowability based on Blizz (by extension Microsoft and Sony) TOS and EULA or just their word. Among other distinctions. That second part should’ve been assumed.

For example pro controllers fall under both, similar to surround sound headsets, 144hz monitors and internet speed.

M/KB for console falls under accessibility but it isn’t allowable by Blizz.

In this case the software (and hack software) also falls under accessibility, but directly violates the allowability. And unlike M/KB Blizz apparently can track this and are actively trying to suppress it.

That being said, I fall under the banner of “players wouldn’t be using this if something similar was already available”, I truly think think Visor and the P one were a breakthrough and that Blizzard despite trying to pass Overwatch off as a serious competitive title or at least one the caters to the competitive side of players, has not done enough to follow through on that objective.

don’t be dumb, there’s reasonable limits here, you can’t ban people with the right hardware from using it. Your field of view is still the same. But at a competitive level, all of them are on 144hz and fibre, so they ARE equally equipped.

Every single Overwatch player uses 144hz and fibre optic?

You can’t ban hardware (or maybe you can, with certain benchmarking software, prevent people with certain hardware playing the game) but you can limit the advantages better hardware gives you.

no, you can’t. stop being dumb. the ideal is for everyone to have both 144hz and fibre optic. I should have said everyone at the pro level does at all those tournaments. The rest, favour the shooter helps flatten the playing field a bit, but you can’t expect them to make the game worse for people who play at 144hz fibre the way it’s meant to be enjoyed.

The ideal is 144hz? Is it? Did Blizzard release an official statement saying this? I must’ve missed it. From what I’ve heard the OWL pros use 240hz.

144 makes no difference on game-play. It just looks nicer.
However 1080p to 4k helps widow and mcree aim alot.

1 Like

Whatever the case its assessing data from Overwatch games and by allowing anything to do that it leaves room for hacking tools to be piggy backing the program.

That and its not a liscenced product. Why would blizzard want another company making a quick buck from their product?

Because none of those literally feed you in game stats regarding the game to modify your behavior in game?

What are you going to say next, that playing in a stable household where I’m not being disrupted or removed from the game every few seconds (eg: Brothers) is an unfair advantage?

Or that diet is now an advantage because I am not nutrient starved and can think better and have better reflexes and muscles?

3 Likes

I have 4 mbps ,constantly lagg and get kicked before a game has even loaded.

If you were being constantly distracted by brothers, that would put you at a disadvantage yes. It wouldn’t be in Blizzard’s power to do anything about that - unless you’re a pro player and get invited to play at their LAN tournaments.

If your diet helps you play better, then again it wouldn’t be in Blizzard’s power to control that. Unless again, you were a pro player who for example consumed performance enhancing drugs or steroids, and they invited you to play in person at their tournaments. Then they could (as already happens at sporting events like the Olympics) bar you from playing if any traces were found in your blood. This would be at their discretion, if it were deemed to give you an unfair advantage.

The advantage you get from a 144hz monitor is in Blizzard’s power to prevent.

Certainly in some dystopian future like an episode of Black Mirror, Blizzard would have the ability to remove every single advantage a player could have other than their own raw talent.

Other games have a form of FPS cap. Not sure if Overwatch has it as I haven’t really dug into it but it is not something they will do because again Blizzard enforces against third party software as that is the easiest thing to manage as opposed to trying to manage thousands of different hardware configurations for the playerbase. [quote=“PlayerOne-21993, post:161, topic:213409, full:true”]

No, every 144Hz monitor can display at 60Hz just fine.
The game even offers the possibility to set the refresh rate you want.

Just as they don´t allow to set proper FOV for 21:9 they simply could disallow higher refresh rates then 60Hz.
[/quote]

I’m aware of this however I was using an example of why hardware ban is ridiculous using one of the examples the OP used.

Not sure I understand this. Why would a 60 FPS cap require them to manage thousands of hardware configurations?