Error starting match - March 13, 2020

Yeah, this absolutely needs to be a thing. Not every Overwatch player is going to be on the forum and see these messages/tech responses.

1 Like

Lost 3 games due to this - first time thought it was on my end. Didn’t even join the game just lost SR and was suspended. Played again - same. Played another 30 minute later and it happened again but MID game. Thanks for the warning / heads up

Playing on Xbox One and I just had 2 of the last 5 games just fail to start at the menu. No crashing or anything, just looks like it about to load into a match, then the queue timer disappears and nothing happens. Been doubled-banned now for 30 minutes. Huge SR losses. I might start crying at any moment. Please let me know if there’s anything you can do about this and maybe you could find it in your giant heart to revert those SR loses as well :confused:

Playing on Xbox One and I just had 2 of the last 5 games just fail to start at the menu. No crashing or anything, just looks like it about to load into a match, then the queue timer disappears and nothing happens. Been doubled-banned now for 30 minutes. Huge SR losses. I might start crying at any moment. Please let me know if there’s anything you can do about this and maybe you could find it in your giant heart to revert those SR loses as well

It is impossible to revert Skill Rating points deducted. However this really is not too big of a deal and here is why. Your actual hidden matchmaking rating is not really affected. So once the issue is corrected and there are no more disconnections, it is relatively easy to gain back the SR from your future games. This is because you will most likely gain more when you win and lose less when you lose until your hidden MMR and skill rating are back in actual alignment.

That being said, be sure to play SEVERAL games of quick play before attempting to play Competitive. What is more important is that you do not get suspended for the entire season from Competitive Play by leaving too many games.

Now I know why I dropped an endorsement level after trying to start a QP Classic match a few times.

I’m sorry its important that the game itself is messing up, and we should be GRATEFUL its not bnaning us for the entirety of the season?

3 Likes

Our of the last 15 game join attempts, most of which were Arcade, only like 3 were successful. Still very broken.

Find a way to differentiate when the disconnection is on blizzards end. Loosing 100 sr and telling people it’s ok because it’s not that hard to just climb up again is absurd.

1 Like

Wow this has actually been going on for 6 hours yet blizzard just keeps letting people lose sr with no warning on the title screen

I was just kicked from the game in general. Lost connection to server. Found this thread on investigation to see if anyone else was having problems. Wow, Blizzard. It’s you guys who are messing up and you tell your players that it’s basically their fault for wanting to play your broken game? This is why I don’t play this stupid game seriously anymore… Y’all’s customer service is awful and you treat the players like crap. Don’t tell people that it’s easy to gain SR again. Fix the game. Give them back their SR and compensate them for their unjustified bans. This is how you lose players. This is poor business. It’s been hours since the first report. Good to know that you still can’t fix it. I’m going back to play Paladins. At least their servers are more stable than this crap…

Wait, let me get this straight. You plan to NOT compensate players for issues that are on YOUR end? Or, at bare minimum, NOT removing unjustified suspensions?

You realize this is how people end up uninstalling right? I don’t even play comp but you’re about to invoke a major PR sh*tstorm if you don’t change this.

Based on the data from what I have seen. This is not on Blizzard’s end, but most likely a network hub between certain end users and the game server.

There is a lot more to how online games work, that is why a starting Competitive Penalty is very small. See this topic for details:

Right now, the new current problem (after Drakuloth sign off) seems to be network hub related. So this not really on Blizzard, nor is it on the end users, but something between. Again this might be something Blizzard can work on but right now it is more important for players to avoid Competitive if they are disconnecting frequently.

The disconnect isn’t the player’s fault though, the very least they could do is lift the suspension penalty. Or even LET PLAYERS KNOW ON THE TITLE SCREEN that this is happening so people don’t risk this happening to them because they are unaware.

“sucks but oh well” isn’t exactly an appropriate response to this. Leaver penalties are still being accrued. What happens to the players trying multiple times and inadvertently end up with season bans?

1 Like

There is no practical way to sort through who is having a legitimate technical malfunction.

Right now, not everyone is disconnecting, and based on the number of reports throughout the night, I am more leaning toward its a hub that affects certain ISPs (right now I have reports from Comcast and Spectrum users and they seem to be players who typically connect U.S. Central datacenter, though I do not have enough results to be conclusive). I myself have been playing Competitive constantly tonight and I have yet to disconnect. (I use CenturyLink and connect to the U.S. Central datacenter)

Disconnections are frustrating I know, but really the best thing to do is simply avoid Competitive Play until whatever is out there fixes itself up. I have been paying attention all night though as a forum MVP there is little I can do from my end at this late hour. However I have every reason to believe this issue will resolve eventually.

I’m on Spectrum in the Southeast but haven’t had any issues reaching ORD (Central) at all this evening (since reports started coming in). But it’s possible another region with Spectrum is experiencing it due to a peering partner.

Its affecting all game modes, and most players have no idea this is happening. Multiple people confirming its happening on console, myself included, several hours on and still no notification in game to say “hey this might be a thing happening so careful queuing for comp as ‘xyz’ might happen”. Its just simple customer service.

1 Like

They don’t put notifications in the game client, they put them on their twitter account or on the news feed on the website/launcher. Plus, we’re way outside their office hours right now, so we likely won’t see alerts in those places for now either.

Also, regardless of the hour, MVPs don’t have any power to remedy things like this. In these cases, the support staff (employees) would be handling any communication or solutions.

The average player doesn’t check the OW twitter like that and reports started coming in at 830pm EST, 530pm for Blizzard. Yes, its a Friday but there was ample time to put up an alert. Now we potentially face a full weekend of unsuspecting players accidentally getting suspended and losing SR because they didn’t know what was going on.

3 Likes