Dps complaining about long Q times are the ones that made Role Q necessary

I gotta agree with OP on this one. They made their bed now time to lie in it.

I enjoy tanking and healing. Though my play time diminished month after month due to how many games were swamped with unreasonable team compositions. I remain, while many others who I knew and are friends of mine, left the game, as far as I can tell forever (they are still grey in my friends list).

It felt real damn special to solo tank or solo heal. So special I stopped playing the game regularly. My tolerance for idiocy was becoming strained to its maximum capacity.

How is creating an equal statement discrimination?

I was told play the game the way it is or leave.
Now I am saying play the game the way it is or leave.

Before role queue it was okay to tell a tank or support player this. Now it sacrilege to say the same thing to a DPS player.

That isn’t unique to role queue. It happened since the inception of the game.

3 Likes

Just make tanks/supports actual bots then bam you’ve got plenty of extra dps spots for humans

What exactly you deem an unreasonable team comp? Because in my opinion having at least 1 tank and 1 healer is as reasonable comp as 2/2/2 that can win you the game, but I’m not saying it should be the only comp available. Flexing is also being punished now, while one tricking is being encouraged.

I still don’t understand this, being a solo healer has it’s benefits (like faster ult charge, also I know a ton of healers that love solo healing), and being a solo tank isn’t as bad as you guys make it out to be, I’ve solo tanked and won a ton of matches too, it’s not about being the solo healer/tank it’s about how much synergy and teamwork there is.

First off, the discrimination part is targeted towards you saying tanks and healers only. I personally never had any issue with tanks/supports before, I always thank my heals whenever they heal me. In my opinion it was never ok to tell them anything, since you were free to choose, if a person keeps spamming we need a tank, they could grab one themselves. But now that this is no longer possible toxicity is way up simply because of it.

While leavers always existed, the issue is steadily increasing and not only is nothing done about it, you now also have the luxury to do so. Having 3 SRs (2 of which most people won’t even care about) means if they get a bad match as any of the 2 off roles, they can just leave and requeue for a new one, with little to no punishment, since their main SR is safe and sound. Whereas before, if you left your comp matches you lose SR on the one and only SR, so if you kept doing that, you’ll keep dropping.

1 Like

my 2 cents about rolequeue;

I love the idea of Role Queue but the reality is that it’s a broken system for people who want to have faster queues, as a support main i love the system, but if i ever want to dabble into playing tank or dps, i run into dps players who pick zen and moira and refuse to ever heal their team, saying their ‘dps is a great feature’.
I for one am sick and tired of seeing people refuse to heal.
Just because my mechanical skill isn’t great enough to be placed in diamond or above as a dps(as support i have no issues whatsoever staying above diamond). What should I do about this, naturally speaking they should be decaying SR like heated butter, sure, but i get to decay with them aswell , I’m on a bigger swing than before- while i’m getting punished by this behavior even though i am improving a lot. This thing started showing up in WoW with daily dungeon queues since release, but in that game it became manageable by gear , having 5 dps plow through dungeons, this won’t be the case in a skill based FPS .
You also don’t have the possibility to take the role from them to change a loss to a win like you used to be able to do pre-role queue.
I get the part where personal SR in individual roles is to make the game more fair, but at the same time it’s putting a lot of restrictions on group progress if things like this happen, i am more than willing to swap off of my dps spot to play support if thats the only way to solve the issue at hand.
Either way, i don’t think personal SR in individual role is by any means representative of your actual skill anymore because of issues like this.

2 Likes

I agree with Jeff Kaplan. Solo tanking and healing is an unreasonable way to play the game.

I will refer you to the same quote from Jeff Kaplan above.

Anecdotal.

Wouldn’t know. I would assume the same penalty exists now as before. Leave too many matches and you cannot play competitive at all in any role. Leave enough times and you will have to purchase a new account to play competitive mode. I don’t leave, ever, so I wouldn’t know the punishment system they have in place now for leavers.

Well said, I’ve also had a ton of games lately where the healer straight up ignores to throw me a heal even tho I’m right in front of them. And I agree with you, role SR seemed nice on paper, but it’s pretty clear at this point that it’s doing more harm than good for the entire game and especially competitive. Game is less competitive than before just by SR standards alone.

1 Like

I guess you’re the guy that spams ‘It’s just qp, relax’ (aka this crappy comp is fine let’s get stomped, it’s so fun) aren’t you?

I mean, it’s just quick-play though.

I bet you’re one of those who use in real life examples for a game meant for entertainment purposes. (like waiting in a mcdonals queue, uwu)

An incorrect guess. I don’t play QP.

I like Jeff too, but what he said can go both ways, if you kill their healer/tank they have to regroup, and this still exists even now as any comp lol. And you straight up ignored my claim that I don’t think 1/4/1 should be the only comp available, as well as the teamwork part. It is a team effort to help your teammates and win the game. As for 1/4/1 I said it’s viable, not the only viable option, just like 2/2/2 is not the only viable option.

Besides that entire claim means nothing, if they for example went and locked the game in 1/4/1, isn’t it still “fair” as it is now under 2/2/2? You get to fight another 1/4/1 team, and let’s not forget that even under 2/2/2 they already had plans on having to rebalance the entire games, which could also be done in the case of 1/4/1. If they went by role request alone seeing as dps is the most popular one, they would have opted for the 1/4/1 option, or at the very least 1/3/2, and then just balance tanks (and healers if 1/4/1).

I’ll still like to point out I’m not saying they should have went and locked us into 1/4/1.

How is it anecdotal? If any role underperforms now you just take the big fat L. If you tell people to grab something else outside your role, they might:

1. Not listen to you
  2. Get tilted and start throwing/feeding
  3. Tell you to queue up for that role if you want that hero
  4. Tell you they aren’t good at playing that hero (which might be a lie for all you know)

Whereas before you didn’t have to command others to pick that hero and you could pick it yourself. And while some people would have switched off to throw (this also is increased now), most people flexed to win, this is a fact. It was pretty obvious when a person was trying their best, and when they were just tilted.

I already explained how it’s not the same penalty, you lose SR on your off role, you main role is safe and sound. And just to clarify I don’t leave matches ever, not QP, not competitive, not arcade. But I can assure you that Blizzard is not punishing leavers and throwers, since I’ve reported a ton of them (while also avoiding them), and I’ve got no message saying that an action has been taken against them, which I constantly get whenever I report toxic people.

No … it isn’t.

If you’re in a theme park and one ride is massively more popular than the other rides to the point you’re waiting 20 minutes, does that make it the theme park owners fault you’re waiting 20 minutes? No. It’s the peoples fault who have collectively decided they all want to go on that one specific ride and therefor decided to wait in line for that specific ride.

Having more Tank and Support heroes will not address the issue.

Most people who queue for DPS don’t do it simply because theres more heroes to pick. They do it because they enjoy shooting and killing stuff. Thats the reason a lot of them bought the game. Tanks and healers don’t get as much “fun” as actually shooting other players.

In what way? The fact they have to now have a little bit of patience and wait for a fair match instead of spoiling the game for everyone else with 4 and 5 DPS comps.

Ok.

And how balanced and fair was ‘said’ match before the changes? Dps heroes left - right ‘n’ center? That was all I ever seen and I’ve played since beta. That used to wind me up. All I wanted was a fair and balanced team to help eachother win together, but no. DPS everywhere.

I’m a zarya main but if my queue times were as long as the DPS queues I still wouldn’t be bothered because in the end, when I eventually get a match. It would be a BALANCED team. We’d have DPS, We’d have Support and We’d have Tanks.

If people are so self-entitled they are not willing to wait for a fair match then go play something else. Absolutely zero sympathy from me.

Their loss at the end of the day. They bought the game, blizzard has their money. Makes no odds to them if they quit.

1 Like

I’m honestly still trying to figure out why people have a problem with them seeing an easier way to balance the game without having to consider 100+ different things. Like, do we WANT them to struggle putting the game in a good place? Shouldn’t this be a good thing that they can balance the game easier?

Would you tell your local store clerk “oh you couldn’t do your job under the most difficult circumstances therefore you suck at your job”? Are we really doing this?

1 Like

Well, the difference is that nobody told Blizzard upfront how Overwatch should’ve been. They pretty much brought it upon themselves.

It’s like someone decides to build a massive theme park with hundreds of attractions. Then he opens it, but over the course of the following years, it becomes clear that he can’t keep all attractions properly maintained, so he decides to break half of them down. The customers won’t like that to put it lightly. Kind of the same is happening with Overwatch.

Maybe Blizzard should’ve been more thoughtful about the game that they actually wanted to make before they released it. Having a game with a clear identity and target audience from the get-go is much healthier in the long run than a game that tries to attract as many possible players at launch and then continuously keeps alienating parts of its playerbase afterwards.

1 Like

I played all three roles. I never told anyone to switch to support/tank. Everyone played how they wanted. Please, remind me again, why should I wait for 10 minutes to play a single match as DPS?

5 Likes

In your analogy they took steps to avoid a law suit as the result of letting people people ride poorly maintained attractions and risk injury. The equivalent here would be an even more severe loss of revenue for blizzard due to player dissatisfaction, they took steps to ensure that players stay invested in the game.

Not sure if you were paying attention prior to 222, but there were a lot of people saying they were ready to walk away from OW. But they weren’t the main concern, its the ones that left silently that freaked them out. Wouldn’t have made this change if those number weren’t high.

1 Like

This is a bit different. All of these DPS players were here before the Restriction of 222. Up until very recently, there could be up to 6 on a team, now there can only be two. The DPS players didn’t make that decision, the developers did

To try and use your theme park example, it’s like the owner of the theme park allowed up to 12 people on a roller coaster, at a time, for three years, and then all of a sudden, they restricted it to 4.

So, the people that were used to riding this roller coaster, in areasonable amount of time, have had their wait times doubled or even tripled or worse. And thats a problem.

Now, some people say to them:

“Well, you could always go on another ride.”

But, that doesn’t fix the problem. Going on the teacups doesn’t fix you wanting to ride the roller coaster. And, instead of picking another ride, what people will do is go to a different theme park or do some other activity (leave/quit the game). And, that can be bad for business. Especially, when your business relies on how many people are paying attention to it, at any given time.

Losing players in a PVP base game is detrimental to its success. So, unless the devs find a solution, to this problem, it will bite them in the butt, in the long term.

You and I both know that pretty much every major AAA company is making money off of more than just the initial purchase of their game, these days. If people stop playing OverWatch, that means they stop buying loot boxes, that means they stop watching owl, etc. It’s a domino effect.

3 Likes

I tried qpc as a dps main.
Switched back to role Q qp.
Hehe

Dps players: our queue time is too long please lower it

Dps players: well queue time was shorter but barely anyone plays support so queue time is even longer

Dps players: it’s the fault of 2/2/2

Dps players: revert 2/2/2

And then we back with the forced 5 dps comp who yet can’t win even if they’re running around 5 dps.

1 Like

I am not arguing the viability of compositions. I am saying, my opinion, I did not like to tank or support solo, and I did not like to solo heal a double tank comp be the solo tank in a double heal comp or anything in between. I did not say that games cannot be won with a comp outside of 2/2/2. I simply agree with Jeff when he said we all shouldn’t have to.

anecdotal

adjective

an·​ec·​dot·​al | \ ˌa-nik-ˈdō-tᵊl

\

Definition of anecdotal

1 : based on or consisting of reports or observations of usually unscientific observers

anecdotal evidence
health benefits that may be more anecdotal than factual

It is anecdotal because it is your personal observation, not an observation by Blizzard or an observation we can all relate to.

Not anecdotal;

1. Reinhardt has a large hit box.
  2. Blizzard implemented role queue.

anecdotal;

1. Pizza is round.
  2. Flowers smell nice.

Early on when Blizzard said they would generate a message if action was taken, I believe but could be wrong, it came with the addendum that you would not receive a message 100% of the time.

Even so, I am sure if you leave enough you will be banned from comp. I would never know myself.