Do people actually want Bastion viable?

I was wrong about bastion health.

He doesn’t survive anything.

1 Like

You’re asking for sentry to be his ult ?
Why ? That’s his ENTIRE thing!

1 Like

Actually he has a negative winrate even in bronze.
The more you know.

Yes, that’d be Terr saying that but he’s not here…

1 Like

I’d love to see bastion being more of a “zone-tank” than a dps. Not sure if bastion mains would like that, but if I imagine him losing his self-heal for something like… a channeled 30-50% damage-reduction while splitting his weapon into a low spread and very high spread part would be awesome.
So he would be able to shoot pharah’s and do an average damage like… a soldier for example, but he would also have a massiv spread part which then would make him great for area denial.

Edit: to clarify, you allways shoot the low spread and high spread weapons parts simultaniously, it’s not about switching between a primary and alternate fire.

Make his tank mode a third normal transformation mode.
Give it a bit less damage.

Give him 25% ironclad.

Give his recon mode a bit more movement speed / a movement abillity.

Together with his 50% damage falloff (instead of 75%) he will do a lot better.

Give him a new ult.
Let him transform into a heli with the same flying as mercy ult.
Let the heli use his sentry gun.

1 Like

So I assume that most people here will find this horribly OP in some way just because it’s Bastion, but here’s a proposed rework for Bastion. It puts a weaker version of Tank mode on E, and balances out his other modes accordingly… Most notably, Ironclad as a passive is gone, and it’s now combined with repair. So he only gets the damage resistance while repairing. Some damage in Sentry mode has been given back as well to compensate, but not as much as he had before.

Tank on E
  • General changes
    • Being stunned during a transformation now instantly completes the transformation
  • Configuration Recon
    • Reload time reduced to 1.5 seconds (Formerly 2 seconds)
  • Configuration Sentry
    • Headshots added (1.5x multiplier instead of 2x)
    • Bloom added to weapon
      • Initial accuracy of 1.25°, bloom starts after 0.3 seconds of continuous fire
      • Reaches a maximum of 2° after 0.3 seconds of additional continuous fire
    • Ammo reduced to 200
    • Reload time increased to 2.5 seconds (Formerly 2 seconds)
  • Configuration Tank (E Ability)
    • Damage reduced to 120 (Formerly 205)
      • Splash damage now ranges from 40 - 85 damage (Formerly 70 - 145)
    • Splash radius reduced to 2 meters (Formerly 4 meters)
    • Tank tread sounds reduced
    • 3 shots per clip
    • Ammo reloads over time similar to Doomfist’s gun
    • Ammo reloads at 1 shell per 2 seconds
    • No self damage
    • Transformation time reduced to 1 second (Formerly 1.5 seconds)
  • Ironclad (Passive)
    • Persistent Ironclad is removed from all modes (Sentry and Tank)
    • Ironclad is now bound to Self-repair
    • Ironclad can now be activated even in Recon mode
  • Self-repair
    • No longer consumes resources when it does not heal Bastion
    • Starts healing instantly instead of having an 0.5 second delay
    • Applies 20% Ironclad for duration of repair
  • Overclock (Ultimate Ability)
    • Adds 150 armor to all forms
      • Alternatively, sets Ironclad to 35% in Sentry/Tank, 20% in Recon
    • Instantly reloads all ammo for all forms
    • Reduces transformation time by half
    • Lasts 8 seconds
  • Overclock (Recon mode)
    • Increases movement speed to 6.5 m/s (Normally 5.5 m/s)
    • Increases rate of fire to 12 r/s (Normally 8 r/s)
    • Reduce reload speed to 1 second (Normally 1.5 seconds)
  • Overclock (Sentry mode)
    • Grants CC immunity
    • Ammo increased to 250
    • Increases rate of fire to 35 r/s (Normally 30 r/s)
  • Overclock (Tank mode)
    • Recharge rate decreased to 1 second (Normally 2 seconds)
    • Increase direct hit damage to 205

For some more information on why everything is what it is, you can look at this post: In-depth "Tank on E" rework for Bastion

3 Likes

Hate to break it to some of you, but Bastion is viable. He has two effective strategies built around him (bunker and pirate ship) which see use at all levels of play, including OWL.

The thing is, he isn’t super flexible. He is hard to use outside of comps like these without significant time investment learning his nuances. Could he use a few small adjustments? Probably. Does he need to be reworked so he is usable in every situation? No.

Every characters should be usable is some situations, but not all. The core of this game is changing to fit the team comp, map, and circumstances. You can’t play the same character 100% of the time and expect them to always work.

lol everyone has a bad Winrate in bronze thats why they are in bronze hellooooo

There’s a megathread about a potential bastion buff. For now we’re argumenting on:

What yall think ?

1 Like

Sentry would be too powerfull.

Sorry dude, I have stuff going on now, but I should be able to join you in educating people in a couple hours. In the mean time just explain twice as hard to make up for my absence.:wink:

Or that, too.
Beats me to it everytime. Demmit

No one uses pirateship or bunker anymore… other than Bastion mains I guess… and the only real use he saw in OWL recently was for breaking shields on King’s Row A, and once on Hanamura by LAG. And even then, he’s normally swapped out immediately as soon as they don’t win the first team fight… That’s not “viability”…

We’re not asking for that, we’re asking for him to be usable in general… He doesn’t need to be good on every map against every comp. We want him to be good against something.

That’s exactly what we want…

2 Likes

Not really, but okay… If he keeps Ironclad, either reduce the base damage to 12, apply Hammond’s spread, add headshots. OR, keep damage at 15, apply Hammond’s spread, add 1.5x multiplier headshots (this puts him at 675 DPS max instead of 900 with 2x headshots).

Also, his ammo is reduced in all of these instances. Probably 250 ammo with 12 damage, and 200 with 15.

1 Like

Pirate ship is a bad strat

Your better of beeing on the back, slightly far back from the payload

No, not at all, I want recon to be his main mode, but to be able to very rapidly switch to sentry temporarily, when the resource timer runs out, he goes back to recon while it charges (like DVas defense matrix, or his heal).

Bastion will never be able to be viable as a fixed murderbox. There is no middle ground that transcends rank. This would let him pop into the mode for, say 12 seconds, then back out. If recon mode were decent enough, it would make him more mobile, but able to dispatch area control for a limited period, then required to move around.

This stops stupid uses of Bastion, such as Pirate Ship, or double shield support, and converts the skill in using him from 95% aim centric, and 5% immediate surroundings to knowing when and where to dispatch what modes, and game centric.

His ult needs to be different. I dont hate it now, although I’d like to see him convert more like his highlight intro with a rapid forward burst and instant change. It is currently pretty on par with other Ults, maybe even erring on the strong side, since his model is so much smaller.

I always assumed that was part of the strategy. Ride the payload as far as you can, then fall back to an overwatch position until you can clear the enemy team off the payload. Reestablish payload presence as needed.

I may as well post my average DPS statistics for him as well for the “He has so much DPS, he’s fine” people…

Training dummy stats

Distance Tests RTK Std Dev TTK DPS DPR Miss Spread
0m 0 13.3 0 0.44 450 15 0% 0'0"
20m 50 20.7 1.71 0.69 290.42 9.68 35.5% 3'5"
25m 50 26.5 2.98 0.88 226.76 7.56 49.6% 4'3"
30m 50 30.6 4.16 1.02 195.69 6.52 56.5% 5'2"
35m 50 43.5 9.19 1.45 137.87 4.60 69.4% 6'0"
40m 50 50.6 9.13 1.69 118.48 3.95 73.7% 6'10"

RTK: Rounds to kill (measured in bullets)
TTK: Time to kill (measured in seconds)
DPS: Damage per second (measured in damage / 1 second)
DPR: Damage per round equivalent (total damage / rounds fired)
Miss: Percentage of bullets that missed (lower is better)
Spread: Diameter of the circle at the given distance (measured in feet)

Note: These tests were done on a Training Bot in the practice range. Since it is much bigger, and also doesn’t move, his actual DPS when playing will be lower than these numbers. To do these tests, I sat at the recorded distance from the Training Bot, placed my crosshair on the center of it’s body, and used J to shoot (so that I didn’t move the mouse). As soon as he died, I released J, and recorded the remaining ammo (and then did 300 - remaining ammo for the ammo used). Then I calculated the other stats from that information.

3 Likes

The issue with bastion is that he can be downright oppressive at chokes when you know how to aim. Otherwise, he’s just trash. He’s very good at one thing and sucks at everything else. He’s poorly designed from the ground up. I think he should be fundamentally reworked. As you can see from the recent redesigns and new hero intros, Blizzard is realizing that making heroes that are OP in very limited contexts while extremely weak in others is not a smart idea. Hopefully, they keep going in the direction of reason.

I think it would be better to just encourage the player to use other modes than to put a hard limit on Sentry mode… If they really want to limit the player’s time in Sentry mode, then I would rather they remove his ability to reload. Then the player can stay in Sentry as long as they want, but they only have 300 bullets to work with before they need to leave for a while. If you use your ammo wisely, you can get a lot done. If not, you won’t.

I still wouldn’t want a restriction on Sentry though, this is just the best way to do it imo.