Director's Take: Talking tanks and upcoming hero balance changes

We are finally getting the Director’s Take we always wanted

Yeah i noticed but oh well i’ll leave it for any 5v5 gooner out there

1 Like

They are listening to actual tank players. 6v6 is not the answer

It is good that tanks gets buff but then the dps going to start crying about raid bosses and so on and it all goes full circle again.

Without any change in mechanics cough 6v6 cough tanks will always be either useless or OP.

15 Likes

Neither is buffing them up even further.

tanks dictate the outcome of the game far more than dps and support… yet they’re getting buffed even more… LOL

1 Like

Why not?
What does 5v5 do better?

10 Likes

seeing as we’re running in circles, please, give us the answer

It’s SO stupid. I’d like to have been in that meeting to hear them try and justify to themselves ‘Hey, know what this game really needs? Lets turn the dial up even further on the raid boss meter. That’ll make people happy’.

Yeah, alright. Not like you didn’t get chewed out for turning tanks into raid bosses before, right? Guess you’ll just need to get told again.

These people are idiots.

6 Likes

It is with articles like that that you know Blizzard is really dead for years
0 mentions of fun. 0 mentions of feelings.
Just “our metrics”, “our data shows”, etc.

Pretty sure they never played their game and don’t have quality testers to make real professionnal feedbacks. And that’s the real problem : they don’t know what they are modifying

13 Likes

Lets talk about 6vs6 aaron, you cant fix tank role, stop pretending the game is not crap. and talk about pve too you liar, doesnt matter what you do, it will be reversed on next patch anyway

7 Likes

I would legitimately rather take 15-20 people from this forum and put them together to see what patch THEY could come up with than trust these people anymore. Because your dead on. Clearly, their not playing their own dang game anymore otherwise ‘tanks need more buffs’ never would’ve come up. Their just staring at numbers and percentages and firing blindly based off that.

Well if thats all it takes to call yourself a developer where the heck do I sign up? I minored in analytics, I could do that.

7 Likes

Some people might give you flak for speaking this truth but it’s because they’re so enthralled by the idea there are “objective facts” in game design and have never realized that good games have always been balanced and designed on vibes.

2 Likes

Which is the exact same problem the Diablo IV team has.

Blizzard has been screwed for years, and I mean the entire company. It’s not a Team 4 issue specifically, though they are obviously part of it.

Bobby has succeeded:

The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games.

And the people that are now running and working at Blizzard are exactly those ones, I assume. I know this is an old quote and is only about Activision, but I’m hard pressed to believe he didn’t apply this same concept to Blizzard.

2 Likes

Not really. The article talks about how characters that are “fair” are given better treatment by the devs than characters that are mostly hated, such as Hog. They say that they nerf unpopular characters ASAP if they start dominating. That’s all about fun ‘n’ feelings.

6 Likes

Honestly at this point, it’s like their almost daring more people to quit. ‘Hey remember you hated how strong we’ve made tanks? Guess whats coming? Even more buffs!’

1 Like

Give wrecking ball 50% slow down resistance instead of knockback resistance.

My expectations for how this will pan out are quite low. This is going to suck.

Also please leave Sojourn down there. She can stay bad. The game is better without her and widow being meta.

2 Likes

It really is such a joke.

1. “Oh we’re lowering it to 15% because 20% was too much!!”
  2. “OK, 15 was too little!! Back to 20% even though we established that was too much!!”
  3. “We’re looking at reduced versions of the Damage role passive”

Lol, which is it?

13 Likes

fresh Pasta. :it:

When Reinhardt hits a 60% win rate, which is considered very high for us, and is played often there are few complaints. When a hero like Roadhog does this (he recently topped out at around 54%), the community reacts… differently.

allow me to explain. cracks knuckles

players experience this game as like 85% FPS and 15% brawl.

the significance in the outcome of a match between those two phases is like 30% FPS vs 70% brawl. naturally this differs between map/mode.

Reinhardt is not an FPS hero, he’s not upsetting players by killing them while they’re having their fun FPS experience like other pure FPS or more offensively stacked heroes.
Reinhardt is an Overwatch hero and wins so many games in the brawl that it’s statistically making up for being completely miserable elsewhere.

this is the root of community perception being misaligned from the statistical reality you’re privy to. it’s why some of the historically worse performing heroes are the most complained about…
because they’re good FPS heroes, that’re potentially over-tuned to make up for how bad they’ve been in the brawl over the years.

personally I think the brawl is too significant given what I’ve said. something to think about… if you can make the FPS phase mean more to the outcome of games then the FPS heroes get better without making them better, opening the door for (commensurate) changes.

2 Likes