Did you like Mei as a Tank from April ExC?

I just want to play Mei without waiting 10 minutes. No other secrets up my sleeve.

3 Likes

Yep, and the fact that a few months ago Geoff said they “consistently discuss making Mei and Brig a tank” coupled with them trying it on Experimental for April Fool’s makes me think it’s extremely likely

4 Likes

Comparing Mei kit to existing Tank tools

Primary fire, Low-mid damage utility beam : Zarya Mid-high damage beam
Secondary, Range extender projectile : Zarya Range extender projectile : Hog Range extender projectile
Ability 1, Self heal/invincibility : Hog Self heal/resistance
Ability 2, Wall (the single most flexible ability in the game) : Too unique to compare

Ult, Big area control ult : Hog Big area control ult : Dva Big area control ult : Sigma Big-ish area control ult

Health 250/350 (Not enough to stand on objective or in space/ barely enough to stand on objective or in space) : Zarya 400hp (enough to stand on objective or in space)
Hitbox Small : Still pretty small

All in all she seems pretty tank like to me.
(And yes, I liked her as a tank.)

2 Likes

Yeah, you could say I’m a fan of Mei in the Tank role.

Great month to do it in, too.

3 Likes

I am still for freezing AoE when Ice Pillars are destroyed.

Getting sleep drunk… hitting hay.

You read my mind Falcon that is neither black or white.

no. Leave her alone, heroes are allowed to be unique

2 Likes

Just tweak some damage numbers and the hitbox or well character model and she would be a pretty good tank. Not that simple but still. Better her being a tank than a dps.

unironically if mei was as busted as she was year and a half ago and was a tank she would be balanced.

Thought it was a decent stepping stone. Lady Dimeitrescu hitbox was great for rule 34 but the hitbox just looked funky, there would need to be a more complex rework to give her a tank-like HP. I recall someone’s idea to just give her a big backpack? That seems nice.

Her damage also likely low for a tank. Her primary fire damage would probably need buff in exchange for secondary fire damage.

1 Like

Noooope. Definitely not.

I think it was a strange test for her. I get it was semi-serious but it kind of felt like they were looking for an excuse to ‘prove’ she would be a bad tank. All they did was increase her HP and her hitbox.

They spent so long lowering the ‘tank’ aspects of her kit (her wall, freeze, freeze ammo etc.) to force her to be more of a dps by buffing her icicle. If they had tried to move her to the tank role before all those changes I think she would have done way better.

She currently functions as a pseudo-third tank/second off tank in the compositions she is strongest in. She isn’t in those compositions to secure kills, shield break or anything else a dps does in a composition. She is there to control space and force enemy positioning. Even her ultimate has always been used the same way off tank ults are used.

They need to rework her kit and buff her tanking abilities that have been nerfed. It would be like putting Sym 1.0/2.0 in the dps role for a couple of weeks with next to no changes and then concluding she’d be a bad dps. It took a rework of every ability to get her to kind of fit

I just got the pun today…Arg… Been working too hard.

Well, silver-lining is that blizzard rightfully ignores their playerbase, so the travesty of mei being turned into a tank is never happening. Keep trying to ruin mei though, good luck.

1 Like

I think Mei WOULD be a contender to be a tank rework, but I also love how unique she is as a DPS, being able to stall allowing the other tanks to attempt and reclaim their defense/offense.

We need more tanks for sure, but I think we should have NEW tanks.

1 Like

awfully bold statement

for you to feel that way i definitely would not want someone like you on my team playing either mei or any tank. anyone bad enough to play mei only for dps or specifically for killing enemy dps gets avoided. any decent mei player uses her for punish and area control.

1 Like

She was a great off tank!

His statement is based on the idea that the Defence role is still a thing, and Tanks can’t do Defending.

1 Like

i think mei becoming a tank in ow2 is pretty much guaranteed at this point. scaling her model up 20% or something was a good fit. but imo 400 hp was actually too much health, it should have been 350 hp lol.

invincibility + anchor + regen when in ice block on a tanky health hero is too much, so her ice block would need nerfing too. being able to be booped while in iceblock could be enough to compensate for this.

ice block health regen should still cap at +150 health

nerf icicle damage from 75 to 60

This is a good enough point that I change my mind about Mei being a tank. I know how the kiddies deal with “problems”, that’s exactly what will happen… if they can’t spam the space bar and randomly fire to get out of a jam then it’s “unfun” :roll_eyes:

2 Likes