Devs: “we’ll see how Sym’s beam plays out”

In 2.0 i baited overconfindent brigg to my spider net laser trap and orb till she was on a dillema of wether to drop the barrier or to attack but its delicious seeing her got frustrated becasue either way she was screwed anyways.

People didnt realise 6 turret on a star formation can confuse hell out of the enemy specially brig.
There is a reason its called tracer trap.

1 Like

Sym 2.0 may not have been a fortress of protection but she certainly had more than 3.0.

Play Symmetra enough and you would get a spidey sense for enemy actions and you could save your barrier for bunny bombs and high noons.

2.0 also was able to incorporate dance into her fighting style because of the freedom lock on gave her. You could jump, crouch, twirl around and make mincemeat out of heroes like Hanzo and Widow. You can no longer dance with Symmetra and instead you are forced to play into the trope of Symmetra just barreling head on with her beam.

18 Likes

Right? It’s boring af. Being a dancer really fitted with her. Especially her ribbon emote.

9 Likes

I loved the look of fear on genjis when I locked on to them trying to deflect my beam. Those were good times…

16 Likes

So if the tick rate has to stay then give it a reliable way to ramp. At least in first charge such as:

• Centre animation lock
• lock for first charge then straight beam
• cool down ability that allows her to lock for 2/3 seconds. This would keep her as a threat to highly mobile heroes. Especially when her turrets are on cooldown.
• a conic, more forgiving hit box

3 Likes

Its not rlly a player issue when u need 67% acc to do the dmg her old beam does, and u need 100% acc for 2 seconds to get it to the next lvl where maybe if the enemy has a mental handicap you will be able to 1v1. Its harder to get higher acc when you have to be pretty close like as in Winston gun where the close you are the more accurate you have to be. Even with 100% you cant 1v1 a tank even if they dont use any abilities even though she is meant to kill tanks.

15 Likes

don’t be mean about my photon barrier :frowning:

1 Like

They really need to increase the range and reduce the charge time. Range should be 15 meters like Zarya and charge time needs to go down to either 1.5 seconds or 1 second per level. And charge decay should be increased to 3-4 seconds from the current 2 seconds.

1 Like

I don’t trust how they’re seeing things “how they play out” since the mercy dev update so… I wouldn’t think anything better about sym’s primary

9 Likes

I disagree completely. Try playing Symm. It’s extremely difficult to charge your primary fire, and you can get more consistent DPS by just spamming right clicks.

I have pretty decent tracking, so being able to aim isn’t an issue. It’s just the primary fire is not very good right now.

2 Likes

Personally think they need to increase the width per level and the charge up time lowered. The width getting bigger increases the consistency, and lessens the load as it charges. Still awards good aim by making it less intensive as it levels, but also helping older mains out.

The time to charge is bad though, lowering to 1.75 alone would feel way better.

No, you can’t. You will never beat a Brigitte unless you start the beam on her right at the tip of the 12m range AND you have 3 turrets set up around her. Brigitte wins duels against me something like 90% of the time.

Also this. I hate the kneejerk reactions we get when we ask for such a reasonable fix.

“She’ll be OP! The beam does huge damage”
For its range and charge-up time, the beam does PATHETIC damage. You have to spend 4 seconds at perfect accuracy to begin to do a reasonable amount of damage which is a silly mechanic for a DPS hero unless it had a massive payoff, which it doesn’t. Unless the damage was significatly increased, ramp up time significantly decreased (with more dps on top of it) or some sort of side-effect (slow, regen HP, double damage to barriers etc), the beam is bad.

“Just swap mouse bindings 4head.”
No. There’s a difference between a weapon being situational and it being supermegahyper situational. Consider Mei as a good example of having such differing primary and secondary fires. Both have clear uses and are used a significant amount.

2 Likes

10 seconds of sustained fire is not a lack of ammo lol.

I try not to use OWL examples, but OWL is known for exploiting character advantages fully.
They used her in a match and literally only used her secondary, it’s that bad.
Just take the first level off or make it a 1 second charge time.

4 Likes

OWL was the reason why she got changed lol

4 Likes

Its ridiculously weak on both the low charge and high charge.

1 Like

Here are my personal suggestions for her beam.

TLDR: DPS to 80/130/180, reload from 1.8s to 1.5s, armor piercing. (It’s supposed to be good against tanks and barriers so make it good against tanks and give armor a solid counter and Sym a solid niche. Also bumping up the lower levels makes it less of a trade-off to use primary on enemies in range.)

Both of you entirely missed the point. I’m not saying Sym’s primary fire is fine the way it is. I am specifically disagreeing with the OP’s idea that the accuracy requirement is the issue - as if making the gun easier to use would be in any way healthy for the game, or would make Sym significantly better.

If you want to buff Sym, adding a lock-on, or making the beam bigger etc is not the right way to go about it.

2 Likes

That’s definitely not a player issue. The pros that use her in pug matches literally only use her right click.

1 Like

You have also missed the point. Please read the post above yours.