Cross-Play is Now Live!

Easy, just assume matchmaker for console players is 500SR equivalent in MMR lower.

Uhhhh. Okay then. This is rather mundane for a “big announcement”

Don’t disable aim assist for control when queueing with PC players! This would be terrible for people who actually use this, it will totally make console players underperform even more against PC users, there is no crossplay multiplayer game that disables control aim assist because they know the disparity between console and PC, k/m has precise tracking, high precision and fast reaction time! Please enable aim assist in crossplay

2 Likes

Nonetheless i forsee the skillgap being a very serious issue. Not to mention reaction time.
We’ll see i suppose.

Yes, it applies to all non-Competitive modes. PC and console players are not allowed to play together at all in Competitive.

What if the mixed party has 5 players, a solo queue pc player will be matched with the party. From what I saw from both on FAQ and Dev update.
“Mixed parties” will play on PC machmaking system, most likely will be have preference to play with another mixed party at same size, as long the both teams have mixed parties, but wouldn’t exclude possibilities of being matched with or against solo pc players or parties of pc players if the mixed party condition was met.

The most important ruling on Matchmaking system it’s time, that eventually will lead to matches with teams o 2-5 mixed parties but wouldn’t remove the odds of being matched against parties of pc players. Like:
2(mixed), 2 pc(solo), 2 pc(group)
vs
3(mixed), 1 pc(solo), 2 pc(group)

EDIT:
Oh I see, was about console, my bad. I just highlighted another concern.

1 Like

Sorry, my reading comprehension is having trouble here: Are you saying that in Arcade I will be matched with PC players regardless of whether or not I am in a party with one?

For real, I appreciate the crossplay, but PC vs console is only a fair matchup if we have aim assist. Without it, it’s no longer fair and gives PC players way too high of an advantage. The reason we have aim assist for fps on console at all is because fps with a non-aim assist controller is insanely difficult.

1 Like

True, but eventually that all gets solved with better matchmaking.

No, you will never see a PC player in any mode, unless you very directly indicate that you want to play with one, by grouping with a PC friend.

1 Like

Thank you, I can now play together with my son, me on PC and he on ps4. This is awesome!

Console will always play against Console
Mixed parties will always play on PC plataform, that most likely will have mixed parties on both sides.
Pc players will always play on PC plataform, that would make them play against pc and mixed parties

Comp it’s a separate stance and doesn’t allow mixed parties

Even with aim assist it’s not. It’s almost a completely different game on PC when compared to console.

So from the replies it seems like I wil be facing other consoles only. The only time I will be against a PC player is if I join one’s party?

Thus I don’t need to opt out of the crossplay matchmaking? Because in doing so it would result in having to face absurd queue times for any mode - not just QP. It will be increased further by the fact the majority won’t even be aware that they are default put on opt-in.

I’m pretty sure that’s related to the Xbox party chat system and some way that people are able to abuse it

So that shouldn’t be an issue as far as cross play is concerned

To be honest, as a PC player I’m bummed out about these news.
Not because I think cross play will be bad for PC players, but because this news adds nothing of value to the game for PC players - especially the ones like me (who only play Competitive Mode).

If this is the “big news” for Overwatch that Aaron was talking about in Blizzconline, then this is a huge letdown.
I’d even say this is the same as announcing Diablo Immortal in BlizzCon in front of hardcore PC Diablo fanbase.

We need serious improvements for Overwatch Competitive, and we need them NOW.
We don’t want useless recolors of skins with no depth.
We don’t want pointless events and challenges and free loot-boxes.

WE WANT:

• A proper ranking system with no hidden metrics
  • Useful stats display in-game and in profile
    – hide all the useless clutter and bring the important stats to the frontline like you do in OWL
  • Unlock profiles in competitive
    – we need a way to compare each other; otherwise, what’s the point of the competition?
    – competition requires transparent and competitive metrics; feelings are for non-competitive play
  • We need more maps
    – maybe let the community design maps, if you’re too busy
  • Optimization is needed
    – I notice funky stuff going on with the client sometimes (i.e. frequent frame drops if the client has been running for a long time)
    – some video settings not working properly or as intended
    – what’s with “applying patch” before each match?

Overall, you guys need to step up your game and start developing a game worth fighting in.

10 Likes

Aim assist on console needs to be enabled when playing vs PC, its insane how difficult it will be to play against k/m reaction time, tracking and high precision.

Imagine Switch users without aim assist and with unstable 20-30fps trying to play against a PC player with k/m and more than 120fps… lol

3 Likes

Console players moving to PC and ending up ranking significantly lower is likely more of a result of the change in control method rather than the change in competition

A console player playing against PC players of the same rank will likely perform about as well as normal if they are still using a controller. If they use aim assist normally though, then their performance will still be somewhat hampered, especially if they heavily rely on it.

I miss Jeff Kaplan :frowning:

2 Likes

That’s just your game client handshaking with the match server to ensure that you have the same configuration of the game that the server is hosting. It’s part of the feature set from a year or two ago that enabled server-side hotfixes and the Experimental card. Prior to that change, you would have to restart the game client to update configurations whenever anything changed.

1 Like

Aren’t you the guy who can’t hit a Pharah?

Or, am I mistaken?

3 Likes