The Competitive Bugs Megathread

Hey you linked me to your thread. I’m unsure which category mine appears under but it is where everyone’s names don’t appear in the top 500 Leaderboard and only their titles, matches and characters used on console.

However, I last checked and a bit more names are appearing but not all of them. Maybe only a couple of pages. I wonder how long they will last…

2 Likes

DoorlessCal: You are very welcome for the help, and I wish you the best of luck in your upcoming climb.

Nuckchuck: I will admit yours is the first I’ve heard anyone report about this specific bug. There have been several Top 500 bugs regarding players not appearing at all on the leaderboards, players that are randomly displayed and removed from the leaderboards, and players having their relative ranks be completely inaccurate compared to their displayed rank or to the ranks of other players, but nothing about invisible names. This might be a stretch, but I do remember reading about a thread about bugged Top 500 player profile issues for consoles. I’ll link it here in case you’d like to ask around for potential information: Career Profile Stats (Console): What's Wrong?. I hope this helps.

2 Likes

Weird bug or something that is causing an “Applying update” bug. Internet and everything on my side is perfectly fine. Got a 15 min ban and leaver for my comp game /: now I’m stuck with a leaver for the rest of the season. Don’t know how its fair to myself or others who actually care about their stats and DON’T leave games.

4 Likes

I’ve noticed a very large uptick in posts regarding the Applying Update bug very recently myself as well, and it does appear this is a legitimate issue the Devs are looking at. Luckily, one player who sent a Customer Support ticket recently received a response regarding that, which I will link here in case you would like to read about it: Got an Answer on My Ticket for the Applying Update error. It would be great if the penalties caused by this bug could be reverted as well, but from what the Game Master implied, I don’t think that’s a capability the game engine even has. Of course, with enough public outcry, that is a change that could be pushed for, so I’d encourage you to bump up the several other posts regarding the Applying Update bug, which I’ve compiled under: Competitive Match Disconnection And Ban. I hope this helps.

Hi Azdyph, thanks for this post!

Didn’t read the whole thing yet but it suggested to post my own experience to add to the pile.

Season 3 End:

• Diamond 4 Tank, Diamond 4 DPS, Grandmaster 4 Support
  • Grandmaster 4 (Rank 300 something) Open Queue
  • Grandmaster 4 (Rank 484) Mystery Heroes
  • Was T500 CTF the previous season as well.

Expected Rewards:

• T500 Open Challenger, T500 Sleuth, Grandmaster Role Challenger

Received Rewards:

• T500 Role Challenger, T500 Sleuth
  • No Open Challenger at all
  • LOST T500 Flag Bearer
  • Fell off leaderboard for mystery heroes but not for open queue, rank also dropped due to the Season 4 first hour login bug

Then earlier today
Received Rewards:

• Grandmaster Sleuth
  • LOST T500 Role Challenger (expected since I wasn’t ever T500 in Role Q)
  • Still no Open Q title
  • LOST T500 Sleuth (Though I still have it equipped, hilariously enough)
  • No Role Challenger at all
  • No recovery of Comp CTF Title

So in summary, even though I should have T500 Mystery Heroes, CTF, and Open Queue, and Grandmaster in Role Q, I have…Grandmaster Sleuth.

1 Like

Forums ate my original reply.

My experience:
Season 3 End:

• Grandmaster Role Q, T500 Open Queue (~300), T500 Mystery Heroes (484)

Logged on in Season 4 and got wrecked by the initial drop bug. Dropped off leaderboards.

Season 3 Received Rewards:

• Top 500 Role Challenger (What?)
  • Top 500 Sleuth (Expected)
  • NO Grandmaster Role Challenger
  • NO Top 500 Open Challenger
  • LOST Top 500 Flag Bearer

Then earlier today:

• Grandmaster Sleuth
  • LOST Top 500 Sleuth (Still have it equipped though lmao)
  • LOST Top 500 Role Challenger (expected, I didn’t earn this to begin with)
  • Still no Top 500 Flag Bearer
  • Still no Top 500 Open Challenger
  • Still no Grandmaster Role Challenger

In summary, all I have right now is Grandmaster Sleuth and the Equipped Top 500 Sleuth… pretty sad.

2 Likes

I also got banned from comp due to being stuck in an ‘applying update’ loop bug and my endorsement level has gone down. I’m sure my next ranking will get hit hard because of the ban. Really not cool, Overwatch.

3 Likes

Catalyst: Thank you for your post, I’ve added it to the megathread under: Missing Top 500 Rewards (Season 3). Regarding the bugged player titles, there are a few potential bugs I’m noticing. Receiving Top 500 Role Challenger instead of Top 500 Open Challenger and vice versa is a documented bug, which you can read about under that same subcategory such as this post: Bugged Competitive Player Titles. After the launch of a new season, old Top 500 titles are supposed to be removed for those players who earned them, but if it was equipped prior to the update, you will still have it equipped, but the locked and unlocked icons will be overlapping in the selection screen. As it so happens, I’m experiencing the exact same thing, but for my Top 500 Flag Bearer title. Another post about that: Top 500 flag bearer title accesibility issue. If you unequip that title, you will lose it. Losing the Top 500 Role Challenger is to be expected, so at least the update wasn’t completely bugged. Not receiving the Top 500 Open Challenger retroactively has been a persistent bug since even before Overwatch 2 launched, and that I’ve been trying to get this bug fixed ever since I lost my Top 500 rewards for Season 36. Losing the Top 500 Flag Bearer title is to be expected since these titles are only intended to be equippable for the season after it ends. The missing Grandmaster Role Challenger title is a bug that was supposed to be fixed this latest bug patch, but it seems a ton of players are still missing their correct rewards…I would highly encourage you to bump up the posts listed above regarding all these Top 500 rewards bugs, the fact the Devs have allowed them to persist for so long is a disgrace and it needs to be fixed.

Goose: Unfortunately, it seems you are far from the only player experiencing that the Applying Update bug who got punished for it. Many players have also received temporary suspensions and season bans for this bug when playing competitive, so I would be extremely cautious when playing that going forward now that you have experienced this bug once already.

I can’t believe with “the rank decay removed” update. At first my profile career displayed my rank lower than my rank in season 3 (has been fixed)

DPS - Diamond 4 to Plat 4
Tank - Diamond 2 to Diamond 4
Support - Diamond 4 to Plat 4

Since it’s been fixed, I thought my season 4 rank will keep up with my previous rank and so I jumped to my first game, today, as a support, and placed into diamond 5 lobby, fair enough. When the game ended, I got my first rank placement, and it was a huge disappointment.

Tank - placed to plat 1
DPS - plat 4
Support - plat 4

I feel betrayed and scammed

2 Likes

If I understood your post correctly, are you saying that your end-of-season ranks were Diamond 2 for Tank, Diamond 4 for DPS, and Diamond 4 for Support and that whenever you logged on after the launch of Season 4, your new end-of-season ranks were Diamond 4 for Tank, Platinum 4 for DPS, and Platinum 4 for Support? If so, that means your account was affected by the seasonal decay bug, which should have been addressed with the update this Tuesday. And that does appear to be the case, as your fixed rank is Platinum 1 for Tank, Platinum 4 for DPS, and Platinum 4 for Support. These ranks, at least in theory, should be your MMR, and the only difference between your new end-of-season ranks and fixed ranks is for Tank, which dropped two subdivisions. Assuming I understood all of that correctly, your fixed ranks seem feasibly correct, but do correct me if I misunderstood.

im getting suspended many times, due to the applying update message as well as very unexpected disconnections for no reason. im up to 20 hour suspension now and im scared to play otherwise i might get a longer suspension

1 Like

Sorry for my poor English as I’m not native.

Yes, but the seasonal decay bug was fixed and my profile has shown my previous rank properly. But i don’t understand with that “MMR” which I was placed so low yet in previous season I almost always faced up with higher rank, such master or gm. It’s strange and kinda cruel to drop someone so low. It’s worse than the rank decay at season 2.

1 Like

FpgLegend: Just copying what I said to Goose, unfortunately, it seems you are far from the only player experiencing that the Applying Update bug who got punished for it. Many players have also received temporary suspensions and season bans for this bug when playing competitive, so I would be extremely cautious when playing that going forward now that you have experienced this bug once already. However, there are many large threads about this bug listed under: Competitive Match Disconnection And Ban, if you would like to help bump up this bug even more. Anything to spread the word and get it fixed would be appreciated.

Ruu: No problem, your English was fine but I just wanted to make sure I understood it correctly. Your MMR (match maker rating) is a hidden numerical value that represents your skill relative to the rest of the playerbase and is what is used to create matches. Your player rank, prior to Season 4, could be distorted due to things such as seasonal decay, and became a very inaccurate representation of your true skill. As such, the Devs introduced a change that replaced your player rank with your MMR so that your skill is more accurately represented. Regarding the skill disparities in your matches, that is not actually a bug but rather a very poor design choice by the Devs in order to decrease queue times. In fact, it is well documented that players as low as gold and silver can be matched with grandmaster players in previous seasons. However, the good news about this recent MMR change is that, in theory, your rank will be less distorted and will now always be a true reflection of your skill. Assuming you maintain a positive win-rate over enough games, and that you do not experience any bugs with rank adjustment, you should eventually reach your peak once more. I hope this helps.

I saw many problems between different people Blizzard doesn’t care The reward system does not work properly for everyone at the end of the season - there is a problem with the leaderboard - the profile statistics are not updated, the skins are being lost over time.
I hope they check here

1 Like

Agreed, there are so many more issues than the ones listed here since it is only compiles competitive issues. There are thousands of posts about other gamemodes and other operating system specific bugs, bugs with incorrectly transferred cosmetics, bugs with various gameplay systems, external site drops, etc. If these persistent issues remain unfixed, I’m afraid no amount of new content will be enough to make up for the damage they’ve caused.

shorturl.at/goFG1 - (PAPASMURF#22851)

1 Like

It just waste of time each season I should do more and more matches just to reach my previous rank. Like, every season, every time I reach new peak, the devs will always put me again into platinum.

But, nevertheless, thank you for your responds.

1 Like

PAPASMURF: Thanks for the evidence, I’ve put it under: Missing Top 500 Rewards (Season 3). Unfortunately, I don’t have any new information regarding this issue besides what I wrote in the first thread you posted in, but I would still highly encourage you to read through and bump up the other posts under Missing Top 500 Rewards (Season 3).

Ruu: Agreed, and luckily, the Devs also agreed that outward facing seasonal decay is also a waste of time, so they did implement a change to remove it going forward starting in Season 4. It’s still a shame that this change ended up being bugged and some players still had their ranks decayed though. Hopefully with the level of backlash the Devs have received, seasonal decay is fully removed from the game going forward like they promised. And you are very welcome for the help.

2 Likes

I got this bug too yesterday and I got a ban and a game abandoned on my placements.

1 Like

I finished GM4 on healer and got demoted to Master 5 when season 4 started.

1 Like