Can't Connect to Voice Chat

Good Afternoon,

So there seems to be an issue where whenever i join any kind of game, the system does not automatically insert me into the voice chat. I currently have group voice chat to ON, team voice chat to AUTO JOIN, and voice chat mode set to OPEN MIC. There are some games (rarely) where it randomly connects me to the voice chat halfway through the game, but most of the time it never connects me at all.

When I press P it shows my mic icon has a cross through it. When I try to click on it to un-mute it, nothing happens. I have also tried to press “M” but that doesn’t change anything either

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as I cannot hear nor communicate with people in quick play or competitive play at all. Thank you!

hello lockstar!

To add onto the steps in the article Nicole linked, here are a few more specific OS settings to check if you’re on Windows 10.

Ensure apps are able to utilize the mic:

1. Hit Windows key and type settings.
  2. Go to the Settings app.
  3. Click Privacy.
  4. Under the Microphone category, toggle “Let apps use my microphone” off and then back on.

Change how Windows behaves when it detects communications devices:

1. Hit Windows key and type sound.
  2. Go to the Sound options.
  3. Click the Communications tab.
  4. For the setting “When Windows detects communications activity”, set it to “Do nothing”.

In conjunction with the above step, in-game you can go to Audio settings and try toggling your voice chat device between Default Devices or Comms Devices.

It’s also a good idea to check firewall port config, as the voice tech we use is very reliant on specific ports.

Configuring Router and Firewall Ports

Some special instructions not included in the article…

After selecting the TCP radio button, copy-paste the following line for the Specific Local Port field:

80, 443, 1119

After finishing the TCP rule, make a new rule following the steps, but select UDP instead of TCP. Then, for those Specific Local Ports, copy-paste this:

3478-3479, 5060, 5062, 6250, 12000-64000

Then finish the steps and retry the game!

So I went through and did everything you both said, but it still won’t enter me into a voice chat when I start a game:/

1 Like

Exact same issue… did everything and still can’t join overwatch voice chat, but discord works just fine.

@ lockstar
You look to be on a University connection which we’ve seen in many cases block the voice chat service used by the game. If you have the option we recommend testing with a different network. Maybe a mobile connection if you or a friend has a phone with a data plan that supports tethering.

@ InfiniteLoop
For you we’ll want to get the model of your motherboard and info on what headset\mic you’re using. If you’re unsure what the motherboard model is, you can run this command in a command prompt:

wmic baseboard get product,Manufacturer,version,serialnumber

Looks like my university connection was the issue! Voice chat works fine when I use my phone as a hotspot. Is there something I can do on my end so that the university connection doesn’t block the voice chat service? Prefer not have to play off a hotspot

I have the exact same issue too
i tried to fetch the overwatch voice chat log files and he only shows that error
[5220] [ERR] [bnl] [External(0)] [External()] [2019-02-05T10:48:00.161Z]: BNL_Voice: [20190205T12:48:00] {12b0} ERR: text stream error | code: 1096 (Call Terminated by Client Due to Timeout)
repeated 17 times
I play on my home’s wifi so it is supposed to let me into vc

1 Like

You’d need to get in touch with the network admin at the school. Can make sure the ports here aren’t being blocked. There’s a post here from a different univeristy that may be useful as the palo alto firewalls are pretty common.

Sorry for the late reply. This is the information returned
Manufacturer Product SerialNumber Version
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G703VI N0CY1743MB0014166 1.0

Would try reinstalling the drivers here. As its an ASUS laptop, if you have Sonic Studio installed, let’s disable\remove that and give the game a try.

I have the same problem as KJ; however mine repeats itself 68 times.
Pastebin Overwatch.log file: Pastebin ID: .com/QTazgcxk

Won’t let me post links… presumably because I have not posted much.

Actually
No one can post links but mods/community managers

1 Like

I cant join voice and it always has a mute symbol next to my name. Im on my own router at my college. Ive tried everything and cant get on
Manufacturer Product SerialNumber Version
Dell Inc. 0P1FNM /B0JL9H2/CN1296377K0053/ A00

Hey all,

So far most of these errors are appearing to be connection issues. Basically the game itself connects differently than the voice chat service does. This will mostly just be configuring settings.

Lets check with Vivox’s instructions to disable SIP ALG before we move on to other steps.

2 posts were split to a new topic: 9/Sept/2019 - Voice Chat Issues EU (PC)

same, its been especially bad this past week on ps4 overwatch. even when i leave and restart the application mid comp game, its only a temporary fix. in the very next comp game team chat becomea busted again

and what sucks is that customer support keeps claiming it must be due to us having a crappy connection…but for PS4 users that stuff was fine until the summer games update

Edited by Blizzard - this topic is being locked as this is an old post which was bumped. Please create your own thread or contact support.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Ryusenshi - Voice Chat Issues