Can I be banned for this nick?

What does that mean?

Führer = Leader
Dead = Someone that’s not alive

It just appeared in my mind

Then why would you use it? Does it make it cool because it’s ‘forbidden’?

It’s not about that, I just like that word

Doubt.

You should probably reconsider this particular like. I might like wearing a white hood around the house, but probably bad in public you know?

2 Likes

Honestly, the first thing I thought of was exactly what you think I thought of. Most people will see it that way too.
Not the greatest name to choose at all

2 Likes

Just reposting everybody’s daily reminder that you should always consider what other people will understand a word to mean before using it; that we’re not party to your internal thought processes, your inside jokes with your friends, or even what cultural background you hail from.

1 Like

Why the heck do we even have tonpay for name changes?

I dont have to pay to change my steam name, or minecraft, or origin

They should just do it like minecraft does: free name channge every month

Why do you abbreviate nickname to nick? Seems super weird to me.

Anyway, führer just means leader in German, but Google says it means a specifically “ruthless, tyrannical leader” because of it’s connection with Adolf Hitler.

Doubt you’d get banned for having it, but probably will need to change since people will inevitably report it.

1 Like

You can’t possibly consider how other people will understand what you say, even when context is given. Some people are more sensitive than others and there is no way to know or account for those differences.

People who are never intentionally contentious or confrontational will still be accused of being offensive by those who are too sensitive, even if they go to great lengths to avoid doing so, especially when discussing controversial topics.

I don’t think anybody’s suggesting you can anticipate all possible outcomes - but you can take reasonable precautions, such as not saying things which are generally held to be offensive. It’s not that hard to do, I don’t think I or any of my friends have ever been accidentally misidentified as fascists or racists (except for those one or two times that actual fascists accused me of it to try and screw with my head).

Point is, I don’t think it’ll kill you to be at least moderately considerate. :slight_smile:

Probably not.

I’ve ran across names like “Slaveryisokay” and other stuff like that, and nothing has ever seemed to happen to these players as I have (sadly) run into names like this multiple times.

However my friend has had his name forcibly changed twice now because he was proudly had an lgbtq word in his name bc he is happily LGBT so basically they’ll just give you a free namechange :man_shrugging:

Reasonable precautions for what is my point. Very few people are going out of their way during normal speech to offend people with what is generally considered offensive terminology, i.e racial, homophobic, sexist, etc remarks.

If someone isn’t privy to my internal thought processes, inside jokes or my cultural background, then how the hell am I supposed to be privy to theirs? I can’t rightly consider someone’s understanding of my language when I’m not in their head.

Not being offensive isn’t hard to do; anticipating a person’s offense to seemingly innocuous language is. You straight up said to “always consider what other people will understand a word to mean.” That’s impossible to do. Some people just get offended easily.

Moderate consideration is the norm for everyday interactions where I am, so I’m not really sure where you’re coming from when you suggest a lack of it.

I am going to put the same question to you that I’ve put many times on this subject: where is this baying legion of the professionally-offended people hiding out? Because I’m sure I ought to have run across them by now. I see SO many people talk about “snowflakes” and “oversensitive” types, but I really can’t think of more than one or two examples of them anywhere on the internet.

Like, tell me if I’m wrong, but it seems to me as though the “anti-censorship” crowd are the ones actually flipping the table over really minor matters (like the removal of the Tracer butt pose which I was discussing with somebody last night).

If we’re going to get full blown sociopolitical here, then trying to suggest either side of being the only one who gets upset over minor things is not only disingenuous, it’s fallacious.

Both sides have echo chambers they love to live in, both sides ignore facts to support their arguments, and both sides like to play the ad hominem game. For every right leaning person claiming “snowflakes” and “over-sensitivity” there is an equal amount of people on the left falsely accusing racism, fascism or worse.

Your perception will be skewed in favor of those you surround yourself with and listen to when you’re all saying the same things, regardless of the side you’re on. It’s called confirmation bias.

To answer your question though, they’re not hiding. I just saw a video yesterday of some guy in a vape shop literally attacking and blowing up on a guy for wearing a MAGA hat and a Trump support t-shirt. He was fired for his behavior and the first thing he did was condemn the person wearing the clothing and called them stupid and racist. For wearing clothes he disagreed with.

Frosty, I think if you’re looking at the kind of videos that I think you are, they have warped your perception of what normal day-to-day life looks like out there.

You don’t make videos of normal everyday occurrences (unless you’re a really really boring life vlogger) - you make videos of sensational things. Those kinds of blowups, fights and reactions make for great viewing, and the YouTube algorithm will always push them up towards the top - especially if the machine realises you like this type of content and that you generally watch it through to the end.

What you’re describing is the most extreme end of people’s reactions - it’s not typical behaviour, and it may not even be typical behaviour for the person who blew up on the video.

Snowflake culture, I’m afraid, is a myth that’s largely an emergent property of the way the internet propagates content to users. Outside the bubble that is the internet, people don’t act like this.

I was watching Your Overwatch. Auto-play on YouTube put a video with the clip in it because the video is going hugely viral and tons of YouTubers are all over it like white on rice, but nice assumption you’ve made there. My perception of day-to-day life is just fine, thanks. I’m not some delusional nitwit who believes that this kind of thing happens every second of every day. But clearly, it does happen. Not on the internet, but in real life.

The reasons people have for posting videos is irrelevant to the content of the video. As long as it isn’t staged, which this wasn’t, then the only thing that matters is the evidence.

It doesn’t remotely matter whether the person in question behaves this way normally or not; the fact remains that their presupposition and subsequent reaction was uncalled for, embarrassing, rude and violent. All because they were easily offended by clothing. This isn’t the first time this sort of thing has happened in a public space, not by a long shot. It won’t be the last time either, I guarantee it.

I disagree entirely with your perception of “snowflake culture” being a myth that is exclusive to the bubble of interactions on the internet. If the video evidence, of which there is a lot, of it happening in real life isn’t enough to abolish that train of thought, you are willfully ignoring fact to further your confirmation bias.

$$$ is pretty much the answer

What you’re looking at isn’t what I’d call good evidence - it bears as much relation to reality as reality television does - which is to say that a good deal of it is scripted, and the “best” content is often a set-up. If I want to get some good footage of people overreacting to an item of clothing where I am, I could walk into the local supermarket wearing a balaclava and gloves. “It’s just clothes.” Point is, sensational internet videos are not reflective of the real state of affairs in the world.

And YouTube is a HORRIBLE offender when it comes to putting controversial and bogus videos into the recommended feed. Just because something is viral doesn’t mean that the video does the subject justice. It means a lot of people have seen it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Is my perception limited by what I can see? Surely. But I assure you, I have no horse in this race except the truth. And the internet is a place of hyperbole, controversy, conspiracy theories and drama - with only very light smatterings of truth. All I want is to encourage people to be informed, and to be a little kinder to one another. :slight_smile: I won’t be writing any further replies on this subject, so that’s where I’m leaving it.