Can anyone explain the necessity for Widow to be able to 2-tap most of the tanks?

Title. Where it isn’t a two-tap it’s 2+any smg spray. How is this necessary or logically defensible, and what does this amount of max potential power mean for the tank role?

Edit, please read:

What this post isn’t: This post is not asking how to deal with Widowmaker in any way, shape, or form. It’s not asking for suggestions on mechanics or actions other characters can take to respond to a competent Widow.

What this post IS: My question is solely to ask if there is any simple defensible or logical reason Widowmaker has the maximum potential to do 300 scoped crit damage every 1.4 seconds until she has to reload and rescope. That’s it. I fully understand she rarely hits this maximum, and I understand what stack of improbable factors need to align to achieve this max, that is not at all relevant to the question or thread.

To be abundantly/redundantly clear and restate, I know you’re not devs, but is there anything anyone here can illuminate for me as to why it’s NECESSARY for her unamped solo scope damage alone to be 300 on unarmoured crit shots every 1.4s? What’s the reason it’s that high and what does that exact damage value mean when it is able to strike the tanks?

3 Likes

we’ve already seen it

it means barriers are going to be our life

17 Likes

I get you have to play barriers and cover, my question is more why is Widow this way and what’s the logical reasoning behind it, if such things exist.

that was the joke

there really isn’t a fair way to explain it other than “the game should probably have a sniper to keep other heroes in check”

Ashe exists and is a better Widow in nearly every way. Hanzo exists, and is easier to play. Widow’s only hard DPS counter is a better Widow. Why tho? And why can she 2-shot a class that’s supposed to be heavy and do lots of work to shape the fight?

1 Like

Meanwhile Sym is like:

“Does this Sting Yet?”

7 Likes

Why is this bad for tanks? I don’t fear/hate widow while playing as a tank. I just hate to play supports or dps against her. The oneshots are the frustrating part on her.

that’s an Ashe/Hanzo problem that… everyone has been concerned with…

Ashe more so, Hanzo is just… odd…

every role needs to do “lots of work to shape the fight”

as for “why” she can two-shot something supposedly designed to protect their allies, i mean, again, a sniper’s job is to pick off a key target

personally, my main issue is her RoF

getting double/triple kills is what makes it absolutely ridiculous for something that’s able to pin-point accurately take out a target, not so much the one-shot/two-shot potential on its own

1 Like

hurrdurr muh sniper unga bunga

All of Widow’s power is in her sniper shots. Her ult does no damage and while it can be strong when you have a coordinated team it’s still on the meh side, her smg is garbage, her venom mine is just a warning system, and her grapple while in itself is good mobility, it has the longest mobility CD in the game. Widow’s sniper shots are strong because if they weren’t she wouldn’t have much of a kit at all. Also if you’re getting two tapped by a Widow as a tank, there is something wrong with you. Tanks have sheilds, Dm, bubbles, take a breather etc and Widow can only shoot a full charge shot every 1 second so you have time to protect yourself easily from her. It’s not like Widow can quick scope like snipers normally can do in most FPS games.

2 Likes

What tanks is she two shotting?

Rein, no way, will take many shots to get through shield.

Hog can take at least 3, more if a shot lands during breather.

Sigma, dear lord no.

Orisa, barriers and damage mitigation.

Ball, can remove headshots and has shields

Zarya is probably the only one that can be consistently two tapped since her bubble is pretty easy to work around.

Unless you’re talking about two tapping AFK tanks? These plain comparisons that only take info from a vacuum and not in proper context does not benefit anyone.

3 Likes

every single tank has an option to prevent getting 2 shot and getting the required charge for a 2 shot kill will take a long amount of time. stop pretending that widow is a tank buster or something lmao.

2 Likes

It’s really cool to peek around a corner in order to deploy a barrier, and then take a cool ~300 damage from just one enemy. Really, really cool.

2 Likes

My question is about why she has the availability to do this, not about what can be done to mitigate it. Without mitigation, her TTK with two crits is (I believe) lower than any other hero doing nearly anything. I’m asking why she’s like this, when Ashe exists and feels fairer to match up against in nearly every other interaction.

I’ll say again: why can any one DPS hero two-tap tanks in under 3s without help?

1 Like

Easy to justify if you consider everything else they have at their disposal. Incorporate barriers into it and you could argue why is it fair that tanks have the power to block so many sniper bullets.

I don’t understand why she is the only one with a 2.5x headshot multiplier. Like why not just balance the number correctly in the first place?

1 Like

this is just false lmao. soldier’s ttk on tanks is lower.

also why does there need to be a reason for it? the obvious reason is that she can only do significant damage through infrequent bursts so ofc the damage is gonna be high. if your definition of fair to play against revolves around what kills slower, ashe is less fair to play against as a tank since her ttk on tanks is lower/kills faster.

1 Like

It’s extremely difficult to land the shot. That is why you get so much value from it. Takes around 1 second for a fully charged shot, then you actually have to land the head shot. I think you underestimate how tiny your target is and just how much that target moves. I mean, dude playing tank can barely tap A or D and Widow will miss the headshot. That’s true for any character. The slightest movement on their part is enough to make Widow miss the shot. The way that the character models move in response to pressing one of those keys is outrageous.

It’s 2.5x because her bodyshot damage was originally 150 (meaning with 2x it was 300). This was deemed too strong vs Tracer (and Zen who also had 150hp at the time). Her damage was nerfed to 120, but she was given the 2.5x as compensation to keep her crit damage at 300.

Ah I see