Built a scoreboard for Competitive Play using the new Workshop Scripts

Hey everyone,

One of the common requests I have seen is asking to replace the Medal System with a scoreboard. Now I personally don’t often see the benefits of such an idea (as I fear it would raise toxicity about trying to compare yourself to your peers even more), however Jeff Kaplan recently mentioned in his posts they are looking into the possiblity for Overwatch 2.

As such I decided to create a scoreboard using the new functions available in the Workshop testing on the PTR. I am surprised I was able to get it working and I think it does a decent job of showing the state of the match (despite the fact I have only been able to play with and against mostly A.I.). Here is a screenshot to show how well it turned out.

The scoreboard works as follows: 500 points for Final Blows, 100 points for eliminations, 1 point for every damage dealt, 2 points for every HP healed (not counting health packs), and -200 points for every death. Scoreboard shows hero icon, player name, score rank, and score. Known issues: ranks for AI bots do not work; order of scorecards might shift places after a death at random. If you would like to test this for yourself on the Public Test Region, please import the following Workshop Code:

SZF45

This workshop code ONLY works on the current PTR build, not the live version of the game.

I think the biggest questions is how effective this build works to tell the performance of main tanks and other heroes that tend to provide more utility than damage or healing (such as Sombra).

16 Likes

5000 more points than nearest competitor

Rigged in Wyoming’s favor!!!

1 Like

Lol… I know right… I did some testing with just only AI bots and they evened out for the most part. AI bots tend to be very dumb in many ways, so with certain heroes it is easy to roll them (especially if you play Bastion).

Why not just do 1 for 1 across the board instead of making people play the math game?

What do you mean… damage only? Damage alone is not a very reliable statistic to determine the performance of a player. It’s one of the current failings of the existing medal system. The elimination stat alone is also not very helpful either as any amount damage you deal that contributes to that kill counts (it’s why D.Va can easily get “4 gold medals”). With the scoreboard primarily focused mostly on Final Blows and Deaths as the big swing factors, this shows better on who is feeding and who is popping off.

Besides there is no need to stress over the math. The game does that. I did a lot of testing and I feel this system is as close to accurately describing the state of a match.

4 Likes

Yeah, honestly, just 1 point per healing/damage and 100 for every other category would make a relatively simple board to read.

I choose 2 points for healing as supports are very unlikely to secure eliminations directly (and the is no way to track assists) in the workshop.

4 Likes

I always hated this system because certain heroes are naturally kitted to do more final blows than others. A Sombra getting less final blows than a Widow don’t make her bad.

1 Like

You would be right about that and I do have my concerns about this system not accurately presenting heroes like Sombra accurately. (Again, the workshop can’t report/track Assists). But that is why I did make sure elimination credit still rewards significantly and when it comes right down to it it’s not about using your hero’s kit to the best of your ability, it’s about winning the team fights.

Meaning if you do 1 dmg it show 1 for dmg if you do 1 for healing it shows 1 if you get 1 elim it show 1 elim, just seems you are making it more complex than it actually needs to be.

I understand but a lot of damage dealt in games becomes “trash damage” (which is damage that does not contribute to an elimination) because it gets healed off. Heroes that pump out damage aggressively (like Bastion) would break the actual function of this scoreboard and look like when they are performing well in fact they are feeding their brains out.

That criteria seems ultra rigged for hanzo/widow. And super biased against tanks.

1 Like

I mean… Same with healers pocketing feeding tanks while the rest of their team dies around them. And then when confronted with “no healing” they be like, “I gits 25k medlas.”

Fabulous.

It seems like it on paper, but think about the time you have heard the tanks complain about getting the Elimination and Damage gold medals rather than the damage roles. Most tanks have in their tool kits the means to spam damage freely. Yes this system will show a Widow that is popping-off, and that is intended, but from my testing, it will easily a show a Widow that can’t step up to the plate as well.

Yep, which is why there is a penalty for deaths (-200 points) which helps identify such an issue. Again, I tried to build the scoreboard to show the state of the match, not to fulfill the satistifaction of any one player’s perceived performance.

So when they gonna fix genjis bugs? Been about 2 years now just wondering.

And doomfist bugs as well

I think the final blow number might be too high. I’d love to see how this plays out over many games to see who performs the best but I kinda see it in the screen-shot. I assume Roadhog will get a bigger score than you’d expect because he probably gets more final blows than any other tank. And does he get points for his self heal?

I’ll definitely check it out though. Looks fun. Great job :slight_smile:

This is for a subject in a different forum. Also I will be the first to say that bugs are not necessarily bugs but the interaction of Netcode not working to favor.

So me seeing that I had deflect up and flash bang going directly through it in the kill cam is net code not working in favor gotcha

I really had to think about the final blow amount. Remember the intent of the scoreboard is to show who is popping off or presenting the most trouble for the opposite team, and who is not performing well. From my testing (and I did a lot of testing) 500 seems to be a fair number. Remember that Deathmatch is scored based on who deals the final blow.

1 Like