Bronze 5 Placement, bug? - Unable to climb

[UPDATE] It was finally addressed!

Competitive

• Many players were ranked too low during the first week of Overwatch 2, so we are implementing a boost as players continue to play games for those affected by this issue.
  • Players who were ranked too low could have the feeling of being stuck in this rank. Moving forward, players should be able to climb the ranks in their first rank update assuming they’re supposed to be higher based on their performance.
  • Players who haven’t ranked will not experience this issue after this patch.

P.S.- Screw all the people who said it was a skill issue and not a bug.

[PREVIOUS POST]

I’m having the same problem as the other individuals here. I got placed in bronze 5, I won 7 matches, got placed in bronze 5, won 7 more matches, got placed in bronze 5 again. I have been playing with my friend and he has been ranking up and we’ve been in the same games. He went from Bronze 2 to silver 5 to silver 3. I went from bronze 5 to bronze 5 to bronze 5. We don’t know why I’m not ranking up and hes soon going to out rank me and then we cant play together, even though we’ve been playing the same games and won and loss the same matches . I severely think this is a bug because if you look up “placements” on the forum, you get tons of posts of people saying they’re getting placed bronze 5 over and over and over. Not to be confused with being placed bronze 5 and able to rank up, I’m talking about being placed in a rank and then it says “Congrats! Rank update! You get… Bronze 5… Again.” Also for reference I’m at 6 hours played on support for this season, 39 games played, 21 wins, 18 losses. My friend is at the same amount. I feel as if there could be at least some reward to this system, even if it only gives you 1 rank, from B5 to B4 at least it’s something.

Making this post for others to also put if they’ve consecutively got placed in B5 over and over and over. Please reply to this post if you’re also having this issue so that the devs know this isn’t just a coincidence.

176 Likes

Ya man samething happened to me, not the being unable to climb out of bronze 5 part, but i was previously a masters player and we did so good in the placement games and i get bronze 5??? Blizzard messed up something fs

25 Likes

Can you also screen record when this happens it would help I’m sure get clarification at least a little bit.

4 Likes

I understand how having a recording could help with clarity but I’m not willing to sink 2+ more hours into placements that will result in my rank staying the same. Just imagine it as being placed in B5, saying “oh man, I placed bad, oh well that’s okay, time to grind!” Doing 7 wins again, getting placed B5 again and saying “That’s… Weird… Oh well I’ll try again.” Doing 7 wins AGAIN, getting B5 AGAIN, and saying “Yeah… Something is wrong here.” It’s on the same screen as the one when you get your rank updated, but the rank isn’t updated it just says Bronze 5.

20 Likes

same problem bronce v again

3 Likes

So, how u suppose to rank up with 3 wins difference basically when 1 rank is about 4-5 wins difference. If you win 7 and loose 7 - you are at the same spot. If you win 7 and lose 0, then you are good to rank up 1-2 ranks.
21-18 is a 3 games progress.

3 Likes

didnt want to be that guy but here are 2 highlights I found not gonna look through 18h of footage happened to me like 3 or 4 times and on other roles and I’m still in bronze 5

8 Likes

I got placed S5 with 7-1 yesterday. Played today, 7-5 and I got S3.
So you don’t need to win all games / lose none or only a few to actually rank up.

That system is weird af tho.

My bf placed G4 but was only high plat and hit diamond just once and a friend as high master placed in S3.
We played the same games and stat-wise and gameplay-wise our friend was (a lot) better than my bf. Lol

I have no clue how the system could work to do it this bizarre way. Being stuck in B5 seems so be a bug if there are so many threads.

3 Likes

How are y’all able to play with friends??? Neither one of me and my friend have placed but it’s saying the skill rating range is to high. I just wanna play comp with a duo but we can’t.

5 Likes

How you explain isn’t how the ranking system works anymore.
You win 7 games you rank up
You lose 20 games you rank down.
You talk about a gap in ability yet I’ve been playing with my friend and we’re in the same skill ranking according to ow1 ranking.
We played the same games. We won and lost the same matches. You say there’s no way to rank up with that ratio yet my friend has went from bronze to silver and I’ve stayed the same, not even made it to bronze 4 at least
I’m not upset about being b5. I was ok with it. I’m not ok with being placed b5 over and over and it shows 0 progress. You can’t get lower than b5 even if you lose you aren’t losing elo. B5 is worst of the worst, for people who are running about the map and looking at the cup on the counter. I’m genuinely playing and getting POTGs and outhealing& out damaging the other healers in the game, even the enemies. This is not a skill issue this is a bug.

17 Likes

I also got put in B5. Im no grandmaster, but i was literally doing better on every metric than 95% of the other supports in my placement matches.

3 Likes

This is what is happening. People should still be at least getting B4 for wins or the game showing any progress at all yet there’s not. It is a bug.

4 Likes

What does your comp stat say? Beacuse ive got the same problem, won 7 placement matches straight, won 5 more after, lost 2 and won 2 again. At that time i looked op my season stats and it only says brons 5, and de number of win 0, hero played in comp this season none, top 3 heroes none. So if your stats arent updating aswell then maybe itll be something regarding updating those stats in your/our profile

6 Likes

I think it works exactly the same as it was in ow1, but represented in a more confusing wrap to make it look something different. Maybe performance is just taken into account a bit more, other than that it feels the same. Their main goal was to get rid of straight numbers and make it covered in mist. But these numbers are still there, 1rank = 100 sr, 1game=24SR ± PBSR
Wins matters, you won’t rank up loosing.

PBSR, account freshness. He may get 10SR plus from yours with it for each game, therefore 200-400 SR difference after ~40 games.

3 Likes

I have the same issue on Silver 3. Won 7 promoted to Silver 3.

2 Likes

and how many you lost during that?

2 Likes

I’m having the same problem, i won 8 matches but I am stuck in bronze 5

2 Likes

Yeah I have the same probleme, won 28 and lost 16. Im still stuck bronze V after all these game I think I should at least be bronze 3 or 2 if I may be a bit humble.

2 Likes

Same is happening to me, after placing bronze 5 I won 14 games and lost 4, for the two times I was expecting at least a little progress I just got bronze 5 once again.

Was also playing with my friend, we won/lost the same games. He climbed, I didn’t. It has nothing to do with account freshness, we’ve been playing overwatch together for years. We also performed better than the whole team in most cases, PBSR shouldn’t influence that much.

Also found this on reddit, even more people are getting the same results:

2 Likes

I went 6 and 2 in placements, outperforming all other players on stats in game, and was placed in bronze 5

2 Likes