Blizzard used Soldier 76 as a PR and Marketing Ploy

I think we should all celebrate diversity no matter the intentions. However, we have to consider the intentions.

Soldier 76 being gay was not Blizzard being inclusive. Soldier 76 is a distraction. Overwatch just released what would otherwise be regarded as a controversial patch. Blizzard completely ignored the community and has turned the game on its head again. Blizzard knew this patch would get backlash so they included Soldier being gay to soften the blow. This isn’t okay and is more homophobic than anything this forum could ever produce.

This isn’t the first time Blizzard has used homosexuality and homophobia in their own favor. Last year Blizzard used homophobia to “remove” a professional player. The player insulted accepted the other’s apology and moved on. The comments made were also very mild compared to most homophobic remarks. I’m not her to argue if this player should have been removed from OWL but it is clear Blizzard used homosexuality and exploited the LGBTQ+ portion of their community for their own personal gain.

I think we should all celebrate divesity and I understand being happy about soldier, I am too. But we should all understand Blizzard aren’t this “inclusive” company or whatever. They are using us.

18 Likes

…Okay?

I’m curious… Is this an aftereffect of “THIS ISN’T A BIG SURPRISE!?”

When all you can think is… It was never said to be a big surprise…

What I keep equating this Soldier 76 reveal is the Dragon Age novels. There’s one part where the characters are wandering around another character’s dream world (a guy) and the dream-character kisses another guy who is shown to be his partner. The idea I got from that is for shock value and a way to show “hey look, we’re progressive, see what we wrote and give us attention and possibly money”.

This drama will wear off eventually but I wonder how much of a quantifiable increase in social and financial revenue will result from it.

3 Likes

I actually don’t think it’s terribly unreasonable to suppose that, at very least, the timing of the release was employed as a marketing/PR tool. Consider that, in the modern era of gaming, the announcement of any character as LGBT is basically going to draw attention and fanfare from critics and other content outlets. When content creators and critics talk, it drives up interest in the game, and if they talk positively about the game, it increases positive interest.

Meanwhile, we’re not too far out from OWL Season 2. I don’t think Blizzard is dumb. I think they’re aware that OWL has potentially been in big trouble due to people leaving over the past year, and because of GOATS. So, shortly before OWL starts, what do we get? A release revealing that Soldier is gay, and a patch that ostensibly whacks GOATS. Basically, two items that just so coincidentally address the potential problems OWL might’ve had or might have still.

It’s far from proof, but the timing of it is a little fishy to say the least

8 Likes

The patch is great and addresses many of the problems in the game, and also happens to be extremely favorable to 76. Can’t think of a better time for the lore to drop.

The picture of him and Vincent existed since the Xmas comic. Just because blizzard is Hella slow doesn’t mean Soldiers sexuality was a pr move. Just accept he’s gay and stop making excuses for it.

like always. but the sheeple buys it

This was the best patch anyone could’ve asked for. :slight_smile:

I don’t follow why you think this patch needed a “blow-softener”

It’s sad that whenever we get a “inclusive” character it’s almost always followed up with

‘It’s a PR move” or ‘it’s a cover up’ like geez can’t we just enjoy it for what it is?

1 Like

I wasn’t expecting a big surprise at all.

The problem that tanks can actually tank? As if heroes like Orisa needed a nerf.

I have never seen this happen personally but I wont deny it just because I haven’t seen it personally. We can enjoy this but it also makes me sad how Blizzard who claims to be inclusive often uses the communities they claim to be including for their own gain…

That picture from the reflections comics means absolutely nothing. It was just a picture with no backstory or explanation.

1 Like

Even the gays can’t be quenched. They don’t add LGBT characters and they’re “problematic.” They do add them and it’s “pandering.” My god, there’s a hamster in this game that pilots a mechanized bowling ball. Who f*cking cares.

1 Like

Pretty sure this is more of a distraction from Blizzard killing competitive HotS, defending a gigantic scumbag that pretended to be a girl in order to get scouted for an Overwatch team easier, their borderline illegal lootbox shenanigans, everything involving Diablo Immortal, and the fact that Activision has pretty much forcibly taken over every aspect of Blizzard in the span of a few months.

1 Like

That too. But those aren’t as recent. Except the Punisher thing.

They do this a lot actually, using cultural excuses to make up for bad decisions. They held someones battle tag hostage because they didnt like it, clearly they are abusing the playerbase or are just too inept when it comes to dealing with things (its probably both because these types can “do no wrong” in their own eyes within the companies they work)

this is fundamentally homophobic and indicative of the attitude many have

But that’d actually mean they’d have to add content. And we can’t have that now, can we.

And it was finally expanded upon today. So just get over it and accept it. :woman_shrugging:

What about it is enjoyable?

That right. Make up things as you go along and just tell your loyal fans it’s was already their and you were to blind to see it.