What makes it forced?

I can’t when you make it personal and say things about me that aren’t true.

I’m saying that you said it would seem unnecessary, thus, the perception that it seems unnecessary would therefore make it appear, well, unnecessary. Which makes it, in the end, probably uneccessary.

You said things about me that were untrue. I’m not a hateful person in the slightest. I have videos of me marching for equal rights. So how do you think your comment makes me feel?

Again, I said that if his sexuality was added in his backstory, it would be seen by the same people complaining now as just as unesesary. As in, people would still complain about your fix for the problem.

If your argument requires you to debate an imaginary opponent it’s likely not a strong argument now is it?

I’m not other people and can’t speak for them, though. Cmon man people will complain about anything for whatever reason. You have recreational complainers out there. So, yeah, you’re right, there are people who would’ve said “meh agenda.” Someone like ME with some sense would’ve been like “Oh he’s gay. Yo that tac visor is dope!”

You guys should really check put this guys post of you haven’t already.

1 Like

Reveal it from the outset when the game is at the zenith of its popularity, not when it’s waning.

The only thing I said that could offend you is “people like you” and “hateful”. Which was in response you claiming I like being a victim and other stereotypes, which is untrue. By you saying things like this, I assumed you are the type of person to be hateful, which wasn’t unreasonable.

When you say things about me that aren’t true, I’m less likely to care about your feelings. I’m sorry if my objection to stereotypes offends you. I understand you aren’t homophobic, I never specifically said you were.

We can only make assumptions online with the limited interaction we have with others, so we base it on what they say. It happens. Was never trying to offend tho. Idc that Soldier is gay, I just disagree with how Blizzard went about it. I’m offended by what seems like an unempathetic development rather than something meant as representation for others.

If people complain about everything but some people still enjoy it, why does it need to be changed to start with?

With such a very large community so eager to freak out about it, Blizzard had to be careful on how they reveal things like this. Yet, no matter how they go about it, it would have got criticised and accused of being forced and having an agenda by some people.

If you were in Blizzard’s position, how would you reveal Soldier to be gay? Do you think you could have done a better job?

1 Like

You can’t… change to start with? That’s what establishing is. If you establish that first then most people wont care. This is why people don’t like when their already established characters are changed (Johnny Storm: Black, The Ancient One: White Female, The Ghostbusters: All female, Ghengis Khan: White Male, Light [Deathnote] White Male).

People will always complain about these changes and it isnt reserved for homosexuals. People inherently dislike change. Its within our nature. But if you preestablish something, often people will overlook it.

You’re right but in this particular case s76 never had an established sexuality to begin with, so nothing was changed.

1 Like

Personally after a certain amount of time I would’ve left him as is. I’m going to copy and paste my response to the other person bc I think it’s relevant.

"If you establish that first then most people wont care. This is why people don’t like when their already established characters are changed (Johnny Storm: Black, The Ancient One: White Female, The Ghostbusters: All female, Ghengis Khan: White Male, Light [Deathnote] White Male).

People will always complain about these changes and it isnt reserved for homosexuals. People inherently dislike change. Its within our nature. But if you preestablish something, often people will overlook it."

But he wasn’t any sexuality “as-is!”

1 Like

Nothing changed. Soldier was always gay. People who don’t like it can main Reaper as you said.
The main problem I have with anyone calling gay characters “forced”, even if they supposedly aren’t homophobic themselves, is that this gives people who actually hate gay people something to grasp on to. In a way, you are throwing them the bone. Even if Soldier was “forced” to be gay, how could that harm anyone in any way?

How about if the lore had been that he shunned the family life only in part because of his work, and also because Mr. Morrison preferred jackin’ off to sexual intimacy with man, woman, or beast? That’d be kind of a cool incidental wouldn’t it? My opinion is that it’s just best to leave the sexual preference business out altogether. For some people it adds nothing, it alienates some for what the self righteous SJWs see as bad reasons, and it inspires celebration in some of those very same self righteous SJWs who say it ought not to matter.

Sorry man but the world we live in, if a character’s sexuality is not established, they are assumed to be straight, bc most people are. When we meet anyone we (even subconsciously) assume they are straight until they say otherwise. That’s just how it is.

I feel like gays have this all wrong. Personally being gay is indeed being different than the norm. Its something you SHOULD want to be included in for its inherent individuality. Its ok that most people are straight and as such we assume so. You should want to be like “hey I’m gay and I’m different but that’s what I love about it.”

The outcry of the gay community is that they wanna be seen as normal, but it gets drowned out by those confusing it that it should be THE norm. Which, to me, the norm sucks. I like the things that make me different.

3 Likes

“As-is” as in “sexuality unconfirmed.”

1 Like

You know, even though I agree that homosexuality is a normal thing that happens in nature and in human life all the time… I’ve always hated the argument that if it happens in nature it must be natural. There are some freaking WEIRD things that happen in nature that are just not right :joy: