Blizzard is abusing monetization and FOMO

In ow1 though, the common belief was they wernt coming back, and that was true. There were alot of skins that only were avaible once, untill OW2

Which still makes my statment true.

I will absolutely not blame forknife for this crud. In Fortnite, the battlepass pays more currency back than it costs, while in OW2, you get 0 of the relevant currency back. In Fortnite, a weapon skin to use for ALL weapons across ALL characters costs 5 euros, while in OW2 you can now buy a weapon skin for only 3 characters for 29 euros. Which would make all 39 characters cost 347(!!!) euros to get the same value of what is a single 5 euro weapon skin in Fortnite.

2 Likes

they was the cause of this and the costs but blizzard made things more expensive but forknife can still be blamed

1 Like

The complaints are mostly “Why did Bobby Kotick remove the China servers for every Blizzard game”.

From former Chinese players, who can now at least technically play Overwatch with a VPN, and horrible ping.

Well yeah, the cancelled PVE and general slow start to OW2 was real.

But let’s see what happens in season 9.

Got a good feeling about that one.

Yep, exactly lol… But oh well, you can’t argue with the angry forum echo-chambers about this topic. You might upset the 2000 people that regularly talk on here.

I’d say Overwatch is doing better than Diablo. Overwatch can at least lean on the free to play excuse. Diablo 4 are the absolute worst to me. Full price game with excessive prices for DLC while have a fully operating microtransactions store. I played that game for 2 hours and dropped it. But yeah this is all getting super old.

1 Like

Cosmetics are still enjoyable in games. It’s also been a part of gaming for a very very long time. Even if they don’t effect the gameplay the still being enjoyment to playing games. Not sure you’ve played the new spiderman games at all but there are so many accessible cosmetics I didn’t even use them all. But they’re all accessible and it’s enjoyable to unlock them. That’s type of player won’t find fun in these microtransactions filled games. And that’s removing a lot of fun and soul from the game. Otherwise it’s just a mindless grind game. The casual goals are all pay walled. And the competitive goals are unobtainable for most. So why should anyone play or care mindlessly?

Fomo is the wrong word to use, there is nothing to be afraid of.

Its going away so if you want it, get it. Dont “fear missing out” when you know that it is going away. Nothing in the shop is a major life decision that you need to think about for a long time.

I get that they are over priced and this makes people mad but calling it fear is the wrong word to use

The departure of Kotick is a good feeling for everyone, but the Overwatch team still has to prove that they are not contaminated from within by the ideas of the old Activision Blizzard.

If this was an MMO, or a narrative adventure like those spiderman games which yes I have indeed played, I might be more inclined to agree with you. But by it’s very nature, FPS games live and die mainly by their gameplay and game modes. Now we all obviously have different levels of praise or hate for that when it comes to this game, but we’re talking cosmetics in this particular instance

Cosmetics in an FPS are like…the side items you get when you order a dinner at a restaurant. Sure, the mashed potatoes might not be worth what their asking for em, but as long as the steak is good, am I really going to say the ENTIRE dinner sucks if they nailed the main thing? Not really.

And here’s the wild part. I don’t even disagree that the skins sometimes aren’t worth the money. Outside of Mercy’s new one and Kerrigan Widow I’ve no desire for any of these holiday skins we’ve seen so far. But if other people think their worth it, go wild. I coughed up for the K-Pop skins, I got no room to judge.

And I will never disagree with that. But that doesn’t mean cosmetics need to be so inaccessible that it requires $100s to get them. That’s my issue. And since so much of Overwatch is building these characters personalities cosmetics were a part of the enjoyment of ow along with the unique fps gameplay. And I get with an fps you don’t see the skin often. But cosmetics was a part of the fun. And now it’s a part of the fun that is paywalls. Which isn’t a net positive.

OW2 I’d say is a 5/10 game. PvE and the shop suck. But luckily the PvP is always good and fun.

1 Like

:joy:

1 Like

I think people are gonna have to give up their “war” against the idea of microtransactions. When only 12% of global digital game sales in 2020 were not microtransactions. And that’s probably shrunk since then.

I’m talking about making the gameplay good enough to be a lot more popular.

What I said includes the gameplay. Because of Kotick, valuable time was lost during the development of Overwatch.

I do not want that they forget the PVE as they have been doing. The Overwatch team has spent more money on profitable things than improving the core game.

Heh, more like I got a good feeling about it, because I know how to fix it it, and the devs seem to be going down that path.

And I’m saying this as a guy who was talking about 5v5 with Role Passives, 4 years ago. So I’ve had a while to think about it.

✅ Next Experiment: 1-2-2 SoloTank

Heck, I was putting out full detailed patch notes for OW2 PVP Beta, before it was announced that would even exist.

[OW2] Balance Design Blueprint

And I’d like for you to be right. I just remain deeply endlessly skeptical.

1 Like

Yet you continue to support the game by playing, contributing on the forums, and maybe even paying.

Well done

Yeah posting on the forums keeps those dollars rolling into Blizzard hq.

Boy you are on one today trando. Take a nap dude.

1 Like

Online social engagement is key to product success these days.

It’s also why the “dead game” trope is laughably myopic when data, and social engagement is taken into account.

The fact players can’t seem to let go and have to keep interacting about their dislike or distancing of the franchise does more harm than good to their stance and perceived “action”.

Already did, covid’s been making its rounds at work :face_with_thermometer:

Take another then. You need it.