Blizzard is abusing monetization and FOMO

Limited-time content, heroes behind a paywall, $20 prices for things that don’t come close to that value, and no rewards for playing have turned Overwatch 2 into the biggest shop simulator that has ever existed.

It’s sad that they didn’t just settle for destroying Overwatch, they’ve also done it recently with Diablo IV and Diablo Immortal.

It’s true that there are more abusive monetization systems (also created by Blizzard) like the one in World of Warcraft, where you have to pay over $100 to play it for a year. No AAA or AAAA game that can be played forever reaches that price, but Blizzard doesn’t care about monetizing a game that came out 20 years ago in such an abusive way.

I imagine that one of the Blizzard employees who are on the forums will tell me that you can play “free” WoW by farming without rest in the game as if it were your job, but if they go a certain period of time without playing, they will have to pay again and many people don’t know how to get the coins needed.

45 Likes

You’re playing a shop with a game attached. Blizzard as you know it died along time ago. It’s just Activision in a skin suit. They’ve monetised all their games now with crappy battle passes and microtransactions. Only wow season of discovery is left to be monetised and I wouldn’t be surprised if they monetised that too.

Just quit like the rest of us.

33 Likes

If you quit then why are you still here lol

6 Likes

Because you can still take part in the Overwatch community without playing the game or buying their crap. Not difficult to understand.

24 Likes

Yeah but why would you if you hate the game so much lol

1 Like

Because what we hate is not the game. What we hate is how Blizzard treats its games and players.

12 Likes

But its Blizzards game

I just don’t engage with the shop or the battle pass. FOMO has no effect on me in OW. Nothing in OW is worth $20.

6 Likes

Not new, also a thing in OW1

But not locked behind. You can earn them realitivley easy. (now after they add in more heroes they will need to do change something, but atm its fine)

Why is does anything cost anything? Why does a piece of fabric with supreme written on it cost hundrend of dollars? Why are advacatos so expensive? Why do video games cost 70 dollars?

Your complains are valid but thats not a blizzard issue but a economics/capitalism issue

Ok this part always confuses me? Do people no thing playing the game is a reward? Why do people feel like they need to be rewarded for playing the game? It comes across like “I dont like the game, I will only play it if someone pays me to”

Look at tretris, it doesnt give you a reward, you play the game because the game itself is the reward. Minecraft doesnt give you skins/currency for playing the game, the game itself is the reward.

If you dont think playing the game is a reward, why are you even playing then?

7 Likes

The fact that it happened before doesn’t make it any less bad.

Create a new account and tell me later if it’s as easy to unlock the new heroes.

According to estimates, the development cost of a skin can reach $50,000. At a price of $20 per skin, only about 2,500 purchases would be needed to recoup the money spent.

I paid for battle passes and cosmetics for 6 seasons. I don’t find anything exciting about unlocking things by spending money.

The problem is that they spend more money on making cosmetics than on improving the quality of the game. PVE for $15 is a scam, it has no replayability, it only comes with 3 missions, you can’t invite friends who didn’t pay, and you can’t even complete it solo or offline because the bots don’t work and is using the cloud.

1 Like

It’s funny because y’all are constantly buying into Blizzards BS and essentially enabling them to continue these practices. It’s only going to get worse from here on out.

1 Like

Anything that makes most of its money from microtransactions, battlepass or ads is not worth engaging with. Just quit the game already. If they could get away with not even having a game anymore they would do it as long as they can keep selling you digital junk.

1 Like

Its easier then every other game with heros locked behind grind walls.

So ya its realitivley easy.

except for forgeting 1 tiny little thing.

OW is a live service game. Ya creating the skin cost X amount of dollars, but the cost of things have to factor in the live server nature of the game.

Everthing from server cost, advertisment, to paying the janitor that cleans the offices. All of that is a cost to run OW. Which means skins/BP have to cover all those expensise and make a profit.

Corporate apologists are such a funny group people.

6 Likes

:x: Videogames are not services
:white_check_mark: Videogames are a format of art

They could implement an alternative P2P system and offer options to play locally, but they prefer to have complete control over the game. The players can’t do anything, when Overwatch 1 was taken away from us after having paid for a game that was not sold to us as a service, we couldn’t do anything.

Ask everyone who paid for Overwatch if they asked for the game they bought to be taken away.

Um what?

Video games are litteraly a product, and OW is litterally a live service game?

that means the are cost to run the game. ITs not skyrim where its a once and done.

It takes money to run the game, there for it requires a way to make that money.

Even in OW1 it had the cost to buy the game, plus lootboxes to earn that money.

OW1 doesnt have the cost to buy the game, so now it has to come from elsewhere.

That is how F2P games work.

2 Likes

They could have kept OW1 playable without new updates and then no one would have been complained.

1 Like

Mike’s a :clown_face: . You can just ignore him like everyone else.

3 Likes

No, they aren’t… You just play the game to unlock them and it usually takes less than a couple weeks playing casually… And you don’t need every single damned skin in the game. You’ll survive just fine without them.

Also, the forums/reddit are a tiny percentage of players. You guys are literally typing to the same few thousand people on the forums and reddit in these echo-chambers. The silent vast majority don’t care and just play the game or buy the skins. The median US household income is around 75k per year, do what you will with that statistic…

blame forknife for this crud