Black female hero?

Hey guys. So I’m not trying to make one of those posts, I just want to keep some awareness that after 29 heroes, we still haven’t gotten a black female hero. I think that would be pretty dope. I know that the development team will eventually do so and that the hero will be sick…I just hope they don’t make her stereotypical with stereotypical attire and voice lines. I have some black female friends that would LOVE a cute/badass representation because all the other Asian, White, and Hispanic female heroes are cute/badass. They’re tired of seeing black females as being “scary or ugly or both” in video games. I don’t think this needs to be stated but Orisa does not count. She is an Omnic.

41 Likes

All I can say is that you need an insane amount of patience with Blizzard, or very, very low expectations.

22 Likes

Efi will not be happy about this.

125 Likes

We need a black female QUEEN who slays left and right.

13 Likes

Symmetra? (20 chars)

Edit. Or do you mean African when you say black?

11 Likes

May i ask you what you consider to be stereotypical for black females. Just curious.

9 Likes

Oddly specific but I was hoping we would get a black female poisoner.

Jesus, I read that as ‘prisoner’

42 Likes

Talking about stereotypes? Well, scandinavian representation is blonde dward building an Ikea turret.

27 Likes

Out of curiosity, where are you from that Indian people are considered black? I’ve lived in multiple places around the US and the world, and I’ve never heard “black” used in reference to Indian people until the Overwatch forums. “Black” has always referred to people from sub-Saharan Africa and the Caribbean (I guess many of whom are distantly descended from Africa), and sometimes Aboriginal Australians. Indians have always been described as brown AFAIK (including by like… every person I know of Indian descent)

17 Likes

Voodoo priestess archetype would fill this nicely actually. I would actually like the idea if they also made some references to WoW’s trolls with it.

2 Likes

New Zealand. It’s a lot more ‘literal’ here. Plus there’s Indians that are dark as any African out there, so don’t see why you wouldn’t consider them ‘black’ seeing as it’s a term totally define by the visual aspect of someone. The racial dived here isn’t very big, it’s a huge cultural mxing pot here, but most people are accepted and the question of race is next to never a variable in any conversation regarding the quality of a person.

2 Likes

Oh my god, I’m having a flashback about this kind of thread in the old forum…

Ahh I see. That’s interesting, because I spent a lot of time in Australia, and I never heard it used in that way before. Out of interest, would you consider someone from Nigeria, but who has relatively lighter skin, “black?”

Hazarding a guess that the OP is American, then they probably are meaning someone from sub-Saharan Africa or the Caribbean

1 Like

To be fair it’s not a term I’d ever really use to describe anyone. I have Indian and African friends but ‘black’ isn’t a term I’d ever use, like I said before we don’t really see ‘race’, or skin colour as a factor here.

The only reason I used it is because that’s what the post is about. But yea like you said, assuming the OP is from the US the term ‘black’ probably means something a little different to them than it does to me. I was meaning it in a more literal ‘dark skin’ sense rather than from a specific area.

5 Likes

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=kaya%2C%20ghost%20assassin

Don’t worry guys, this isn’t one of THOSE threads. But it is one of THOSE threads!

It isn’t even sunday, at least save this stuff for then.

7 Likes

It’s typically the same in the states. In New York where i’m from everybody is different so if you look at race first you’d be lonely.

We’re all pretty much the same in the end. Get up, try to scratch out a living honestly and leave something to pass on to your family.

4 Likes

I don’t see the problem with this one?

No dismissal of already existing heroes or other requests for representation. The OP is pretty respectful, so it’s really not one of ‘those’ threads. It will be soon though, considering some of the responses.

6 Likes

Eh, reprensetation is nice. People just make it seem like a big deal when it’s not. It does not impact the gameplay in any way and the race of the hero only adds flavor to their lore. I’m Mexican. But you didn’t see me throwing a party and breaking things out of hype when they revealed Sombra, a mexican hero. Only thing I was interested in was her kit. I didn’t make a thread stating how amazing Sombra and the dev team ar simply because “muh reprensentation.” It’s all silly.

3 Likes