Black female hero?

I guess Ana doesn’t exist

6 Likes

Just turn Orisas supercharge into Efi

1 Like

While I do agree that more racial diversity would be amazing, I would like to point out how we already have Ana (Egyptian)

3 Likes

Using the actual facts that both Ana and Pharah are egyptions, they are technically African. Geographically Egypt is a part of Africa, which means they are African. Also, DNA studied have proven that 17% of Egyptions are arabs, while over two thirds of Egyptins are of African descent.

So, technically, both Ana and Pharah are African. Dont know if i would say ‘black’ but going by definitions, black is “belonging to or denoting any human group having dark-coloured skin, especially of African or Australian Aboriginal ancestry.”

I know a lot of people concider Egyptions arabs, but when you look at geographical and DNA facts, the majority are not. (as I said, 2/3ds being African, and less than 20% being Arabs)

So when I see that evidence, I see them as the black women youre looking for

12 Likes

skinny, with a huge afro and large hoop rings. Thats all the “strong, black female” characters I mostly see around, seems like people are unable to think of good black women without making it a stereotype…

4 Likes

I hate to break it to you…

7 Likes

By Black, do you mean Black/African American?
Because if not Symmetra is pretty black, though, she is Indian.

However, I always thought Lucio was as close as “African American” as the game gets. But after they added his Brazilian Portuguese lines…yeah…not seeing it anymore.

1 Like

Hey, i just want to tell you, actually let you know it’s okay to call things as they are. And it’s okay to confuse a person with another race, it doesn’t make you racist.

3 Likes

Same as new LGBT heroes. Why?

1 Like

Pharah and Ana 100% have black in them. And no Arab and Egyptian are not races. They describe culture not skin color. So going by skin tone and facial features they are partially black; probably mixed but they mostly lean on the black end if you ask me.

If you’re referring to black as a cultural thing than yeah we don’t have anyone but we do have black (skin tone) characters.

Look at Obama…half white and half black but generally thought of as black based on how he looks. It’s the same thing here. How black is black enough seems to be the real question?

2 Likes

The “blackness” of Egyptians is actually something that people debate:
en.wikipedia . org/wiki/Black_Egyptian_hypothesis

Not being able to post links properly is really getting on my nerves.

1 Like

There is nothing to debate though? There are and were “black” folks there. I guess we can debate on how many but undeniably they were and are still there. “Black” people are everywhere you just don’t see them portrayed much because of colorism.

I’m just pointing out that, for some people, Ana and Pharah aren’t “black”, whether they mean it culturally or ancestrally.
Personally, I think it’s a weird thing to argue about.

1 Like

“Arab” and “Egyptian” are ethnic identifiers and cultures in the same way Japanese is an ethnic identifier and culture. Ana’s voice actor is legit Egyptian and would probably not consider herself black.

Race as a concept is not just skin tone. It’s social, political, and cultural. Otherwise, Chinese and Japanese people would be considered white based upon how light they are (they actually went to the Supreme Court about it. White people said “lol no.”) You would also have light-skinned black people, those lighter than Italians and Greeks, being considered white too. They’re not, of course. One drop rule.

If you’re only determining race based on color, you’re not even scratching the surface.

6 Likes

I didn’t know there was a list of ethnicity they had to check-mark while making new characters.
Stop trying to push your agenda on the design team and let them make what they want.

4 Likes

“Stop suggesting things that I don’t care about.”

3 Likes

Lucio best girl 2018

4 Likes

The next time an artist makes a painting I’ll be sure to stand in line and suggest what colours he should have used instead.

5 Likes

You’re free to do that, actually. Audience and creator conversations are as old as art.

Sounds a lot like a kotaku article of the same subject…

Both ignore the diversity that is leaps and bounds ahead of what most companies do both in game and behind the scenes, yet it’s not enough apparently, and not only is it not enough, but the advancements are negative in the eyes of people crying out for even more diversity.

I’m impressed by the level of diversity done correctly by Blizzard, and I’m someone that could honestly care less about the subject.

And yes, Orisa counts. African robot, created by an African child, in the likeness of African art and culture, with an African woman’s voice voice acted by an African American woman. That’s objectively a lot of diversity boxes checked off for a single hero.

6 Likes