Battle Pass SCAM (yes, yellow coins != credits)

Nope, my analogy covers all the bases while yours leaves out the fact that there are summaries, deductions, and outright differences between the currency names.

It’s one thing to at least defend the buyer over the aesthetic facsimiles, that’s rational, it’s irrational to ignore the reality that there are still overt differences in wording.

The safety locks on Tide Pods make sense now, adults who refuse to read are no different (maybe even worse) than children who don’t know any better. At least children have an excuse for their lack of contextual deduction.

It’s not really a scam, but they should really think about making the two game currencies LOOK different and have very different names.

It is kind of confusing.

It’s obviously a scam and it obviously worked.

The weird shills on here can call people dumb all they like, it doesn’t change a thing. The number of people complaining here and elsewhere makes clear this got people to spend money they shouldn’t have.

1 Like

It is fun reading the bug report section. So many reports of players that “miss” their coins, not understanding that there are two currencies with which you can buy different things. Blizz failed so much on that communication.

1 Like

Blizzard has been “scamming” people for years at this point.

The same people routinely calling it out are the same people routinely falling for the same thing time and time again.

At what point do we say it’s on the consumer to make informed purchases from the company who has an established bad reputation?

Whether it works or not is irrelevant to the INTENT behind it. Now, you and I both know that. You and I both know that they intended to mislead people with the coloration of it. You and I both know that their intent to mislead people is wrong.

So I can only infer from your strong desire to defend them, that you feel, somehow, you’ll be rewarded if you stick up for them enough and run enough interference with their terrible practices.

Spoiler Alert: You won’t be.

3 Likes

You’re right, it is misleading, thankfully, we don’t have to buy the BP to get the credits. Still, to pull from another post I made on this subject:

It’s entirely relevant, ignoring this turns your argument into an emotional one instead of a logical one you’re trying to masquerade it as.

So Kroger’s off brand “Oreo” product KaleidOs are ethically wrong?

How about Aldi’s Cream Betweens?

Walmart’s Twist and Shouts?

We can move onto Mountain Dew knock offs if you’d like with options such as: Mountain Shoutin, Mountain Lightning, or Mountain Rush.

Certainly with near identical aesthetics, fonts, and naming schemes such as those, people would be lining up to say Walmart, Kroger and Meijer scammed them right?

I’ve already stated that I’m not defending Blizzard, and rarely have.

I actually stand in opposition to people making dumb decisions and casting blame on others for their own actions when they deduce the consequences after doing something that could’ve been figured out prior.

Maybe you missed this in my initial response:

You might be overtly insinuating that I’m a shill for Blizzard, but I certainly won’t stoop to the level of suggesting that you believe average adults lack the intellect or mental capacity to read a few words that would prevent them from making a dumb choice hence defending morons for making moronic choices.

But again, certainly you’re not doing that…

…right?

Your flawed argument is reward enough.

No there is a bug in the scripts on the forum. It’s that simple.

You can mark text then pick quote but a lot of the time it doesn’t add it through the post script.

Irrelevant either way. Different icon shapes and different colors for different currencies is what we have.

There’s nothing even remotely similar about Credits and Coins…

When did they use the same word to describe two different things exactly?

Credits
Coins

Sounds completely different and one word have less letters and neither looks the same on paper.

They have completely different names. Both look completely different.

Again, like Torb says. You’re making birds out of a feather. Stop making more moot arguments, like seriously…

Credits also aren’t shown in the hero gallery, not even when you click to unlock an old skin. The only place they are shown at all that I’ve been able to find is if I click on a small little “i” button on the top right.
This seems to be the new normal with Blizzard and friends, it seems.

2 Likes

Premium

And you’re just trolling if you don’t think there’s nothing remotely similar about two currencies that start with a C. There’s two similarities off the bat. Nice.

1 Like

The fact that people are saying they’re confused should be proof enough they need to change these things.

4 Likes

That’s the ONLY similarity between the two words. Both starting with the same letter. You are truly grasping at straws here.

I asked you, WHEN did they use the same word to describe TWO different things?

You made the claim now prove me wrong by adding a source to your claim.

1 Like

The people saying they’re confused are a small minority who can’t read and suffer from a severe case of tunnel vision…

How do you know it’s only a few people who are confused? I’m not sure how you’re keeping track of that.

I get you might find these posts annoying, but it would really help the game and players to have the different currencies made easier to understand. (even for little kids sake to be able to tell what they need to get skins)

There’s no need to insult people over this. People getting confused about a some what new game’s new currencies isn’t something to get into arguments about.

3 Likes

Just wanna throw my hat in the ring of people saying you’re full of doodoo. Coins and credits are used pretty much interchangeably in a gaming context. Outside it, too, I’d say. And are you really arguing that a yellow hexagon with two stripes and a yellow circle with two stripes are visually distinct?
Also, why isn’t the credit cost of old skins shown in the hero gallery? When I click to unlock it, why does it only show the coin price? Why can’t I see my credit balance in the hero gallery?

In a vacuum, this could be dismissed as just some sloppy design, but people with more time on their hands than me have been noticing this pattern of deliberate manipulation in freemium games for years now. It’s annoying at best, but I’d call it downright slimy.

3 Likes

Because this is a forum, and the majority aren’t spending time on it. They’re busy playing the game instead of spending it here whining about anything and everything.

The icons and colors are different, there really isn’t more to debate here.

Haven’t insulted anyone, but if me stating facts is an insult to someone, then sure.

Here’s the thing. This is Overwatch, with its own currency system. Other games have their own currency systems as well. How other games use their currency systems is irrelevant here.

What kind of deliberate manipulation are you referring to in Overwatch, with the Coins and Credits system? Could you perhaps elaborate on something you’re so eager to debate?

You can see your credit balance when you click on the coin icon when you click on skins/weapon etc… Seriously? You spend all this time, racking up 5000+ forum posts, but you have yet to figure out how to see the 3 different currencies in-game…

As for why they haven’t included legendary skins for Credits, i don’t know. Don’t care either. They’re pixels at the end of the day and have zero impact on the game it self.

But that’s not what we’re debating here.

We’re debating the visuals and the names of two different currencies, and i still can’t figure out how daft you have to be in order to see a similarity in a word that is both different in pronunciation as well as the letters within each word, with the exception being that both words start with a C…

For the record, as for real life use of both words…

Coins = Physical currency.

Credits = Non physical currency.

Both are used in different contexts.

Most games also use coins as their main currency, not credits. I don’t know how long you’ve been playing games and what type of games you’ve played but something tells me that you haven’t really been around too much…

If you scroll up a bit, you’ll see I did find that button, yes. It could be used as an example in schools for how to hide something. The credit balance is totally missing from the battlepass menu and the shop menu, by the way, and it would be relevant in those places.

Actually it is. If you read my post again carefully, you’ll see I was talking about the skins that ARE available for credits, but the game doesn’t display this fact. The topic is the bad UI around coins/credits, so it’s relevant.

You’re nitpicking and you know it. Besides, real life use matters little, because we’re talking about use in a videogame, where, as I said, credits and coins are often interchangeable terms. I could also list dozens if not hundreds of works where credits refer to physical currency, if you want. Star Wars, for example. And in Overwatch itself, back before OW2, some people referred to the tokens as credits, some as coins. Here’s a guy with 8000 posts mixing up the two yesterday:

I guess people will eventually to learn to use the words precisely in OW2, but Blizzard hardly made it easier.

This would apply if they both showed up in the same text. Then yes, the distinction is obvious. However, most people seeing any of the words on their own will just think “currency”. I myself, even after reading the dev post about season 3 changes last week, had to double check which term is which, because videogame credits and coins generally just mean the same damn thing. I think you have to be willfully obtuse to say otherwise.

Did you understand what I meant by not looking at this in a vacuum? The pattern I was talking about emerges if you look at other games besides Overwatch. With that in mind:
https://youtu.be/o17lBUZgjTs?t=1566 (26:00 for the most relevant part)
See also: the entire mobile gaming industry (which AAA companies, including Blizzard, love to ape)

Tl;dw: borderline immoral psychological manipulation has been the bread and butter of “free”-to-play games for years, and Blizzard has been giving us exactly zero reason to believe they are any different.
If you don’t want to believe conspiracy theories (even a decently well-founded one), if you do have goodwill toward Blizzard for some reason, then I guess you can say they’re not making things confusing and uninformative on purpose, but at least acknowledge that this is just bad UI design. (Bad UI design that they just so happen to benefit from.)

PS: Blizzard doesn’t deserve your goodwill.

2 Likes

It’s quite unfortunate that you feel you were scammed.

No company should use such dark patterns to jbait people into transactions.

In fact, there have been recent lawsuits for this in the gaming industry.
keyword: dark patterns

Then why did they change the coin logo from gold to silver?

1 Like