Bastion Rework Inevitable

The design of his kit makes him a God when babysat and worthless while playing alone, no balance changes will EVER change that… This redesign makes him viable alone and unable to abuse being built around.

Sentry Mode: Placed on a 4-second timer, but has a full reversion back to headshots, original spread, and a 1,000HP barrier. Goes on a 12-second cool-down once timer expires.

Tank Mode: Now on E, transforms in and out faster, Grant’s a 35% speed boost, and a maximum of 5 rockets on a 7-second timer for 125 damage per shot. Goes on a 12-second cool-down once the timer expires or shots have been depleted.

New ultimate: Mortar Configuration: transform into a stationary cannon that launches a barrage of bombs that explode on impact for thousands of damage. Best used as a counter to Goats and other tank comps. Considered a hybrid between Junkrat primary and Rocket Barrage.

This design holds true to the spirit of the character, and redefines his role as a DPS capable of having a damage method for many different situations at the cost of utility for his team. He would no longer be an unstoppable menace when pocketed, and would be reliable on his own, as well as have a role in the game should another tank meta arise.

Give me your thoughts and notes down below!

2 Likes

He’s too binary to ever be balanced atm, it’s sort of like Sombra where they either completely hard counter you or they’re completely useless. I think having something like this that plays up his transformation aspect and makes him more of a jack of all trades would be cool. Maybe even do it like the GW2 elementalist where you swap between forms with different abilities, but are balanced out by having a skill check on managing your cooldowns and heavy game sense.

2 Likes

Theres no way you can balance something as insanely powerful as Sentry and let it last indefinitely! Might as well take cooldowns off of Flashbang and Hook!

I actually managed to make tremendously greater use of Sombra by playing with my team at mid range, then just hacking any enemy that makes a dumb play against my team and watch the free pick that follows for us.

Nope. Stop nerfing it. Even with old stats, it should simply have those already (as in headshots, not the shield.)

2 Likes

I think Bastion is in a perfect place. Thank you for your opinions and comments.

1 Like

Terranguard maybe you should just give up, has long has Sentry remains has a always available ability, there wont be any way to make Bastion viable without crushing the ability to something worthless

They could make the ability overall better, such has give it back the headshots, but making it a CD ability, and we could balance the rest of him to make him a better hero overall that can stand for himself and not needing an entire team to babysit him

Balancing a glass cannon isn’t easy. Lasting indefinitely makes it easy to babysit and abuse, hence being impossible to balance.

And exactly Megu, he leans as heavily on Sentry as Genji does on Blade or Widow does on her Scope.

IMO Ubisoft did it well with Tachanka in Rainbow Six Siege. He is highly vulnerable and can’t move on his mounted turret but they gave him a low HP shield attached to his gun that can be destroyed. I have fun using him like that. Easily messed with due to his immobile nature but he isn’t helpless anymore because of the shield. Imagine a 150 HP shield or something on Bastion that only regenerates after 2-3 seconds only while in reconmode (as in it’s only in sentry but regenerates in recon). It’s not much but it’s something when they round the corner.

We are talking about Overwatch, not Rainbow Six Siege

I can compare similar characters if I want to. That’s how they did it, so it’s not out of the question that something similar might work for Bastion. The time to kill is almost nothing in Rainbow Six as well as headshots are oneshot kills so Bastion’s gun isn’t anywhere near as powerful as Tachanka’s. Also Tachanka’s gun has no spread, only the gun recoil where it jumps up a tiny bit between shots.

He has a better gun in time to kill and a shield.

You cant compare two character from completely different games that work differently and are balance differently, regardless of how similar the characters are

All i came here to say.

I just did; so I can.

That doesnt mean that its a good argument

You know what else it doesn’t mean?
It doesn’t mean that the devs will even listen to months of work having been done by unpaid players to figure out the root of the issues, and even leave the largest thread on this forum that has yet to be addressed by a dev directly, to rot.

It doesn’t mean that we can get to them even if we had the change that would fix the entire game, because we’ve given them balance suggestions… we’ve given them our own time and effort for literal years.

And what have we seen?

I think Papa Jeff was speaking relatively. Like we used to have 4 dimensional hooks and 8 second Blades. You know?

The design of his kit makes him a God when babysat and worthless while playing alone

Bastion is one of my main 4 heroes. You’re wrong. Symmetra is the only reason people dont instantly go nuts when I pick him

So being babysat is needed…?

So being babysat is needed…?

Babysit has no real use cause Bastion’s effective range in sentry mode is very short. Enemy team will just take their time, disassemble your bunker and kill everyone. (Well unless its gold tier or something).
THAAD comp (mr president) is different story cause you simply have to push payload farther than the enemy team.

Symmetra with her teleport finally made this immobile short range turret useful in both defense/offense. Before the damage fall-off buff, Bastion was an utter crap hero. It was really painful to play him.

So he’s reliant on other heroes to be viable? That’s not really balance…