šŸ’” Bastion ISNā€™T being forgotten, heā€™s being ignored

I highly respect your attempt at civil discussion, i really do, but the moment you remove Bastionā€™s Sentry Mode, you removeā€¦ Bastion.

The character.

As a whole.

Thatā€™s like removing Reinhardtā€™s hammer, or Mercyā€™s staff, or Genjiā€™s Shuriken, or Hanzoā€™s Bow.
It just isnā€™t on the table.

And if it somehow happens, iā€™ll stop playing this game all together.

4 Likes

We donā€™t need more burst damage into the game.
Weā€™re already have a bunker double sniper meta who is far unhealthly for the game than the dpm of Bastion.

1 Like

In general, I agree with you. Iā€™d like to see burst somewhat phased out and have characters with more steady streams of damage, like Sombra and Soldier (personally, Iā€™d love to see a flamethrower hero), since everyone agrees instantly blowing up isnā€™t very fun. However, maybe itā€™s just be, but Bastionā€™s damage output is so high it feels like burst most of the time. Peek out for a millisecond and there goes a huge chunk of your health.

If heā€™s going to be that powerful, I think there should be other intricacies in his kit. Maybe an overheat mechanic, or a smaller magazine, that will make his sentry mode a little more thoughtful. Then he can get some love buffs in other areas. Would love to know what you guys think about something like that.

I still think it would be neat to give Bastion multiple forms (maybe a melee mode, mid-range mode, and a long-range mode, and heck maybe one of them is sentry), but I can also see how that would be like taking away Reinā€™s hammer, or Brigā€™s shield bash.

Itā€™s more like a primary fire.

It would be like taking away Roadhogā€™s shotgun, or Junkratā€™s nade launcher.

Bastion could arguably described as an flanking area denial hero. one of the main jobs of Bastion is make other players have second and triple thoughts about any and all choke points and think about are they in a killbox. Bastions pure DPS is absolutely needed to do this role as it is easier to move to a safer location when the entire red team is regrouping in their spawn room,

4 Likes

I figured i would highlight this beautiful piece of artwork in itā€™s rightful place of honor, so the conversation may bask in itā€™s utter glory.

2 Likes

That is probably the best defense for Bastionā€™s DPS Iā€™ve ever heard, tbh. I still think he needs some adjusting, but not that much.

Also, just in response to people wanting his personal shield back, I highly doubt that will happen as long as Orisa is a playable character. Which is sad, honestly. A characterā€™s viability shouldnā€™t be completely reliant on pairing them with another character.

1 Like

Old sentry Bastion with headshots and a smaller bullet spread had only 200 bullets per magazine instead of 300 and a significantly longer transformation time of 2 seconds compared to todayā€™s 1.5. With no Ironclad, transforming in front of an enemy was suicide even more than it is now. It made his sentry mode much more thoughtful in its use.

The way to optimize Bastion (particularly before Orisa existed) was to set up in a spot where you expected the enemy to appear in front of you, shoot them until they reacted, and then pick up and move immediately to avoid the retaliation from them (if they survived) or their allies, because without Ironclad Bastion could take even fewer hits.

Pre-rework Bastion was an ambush predator with a much longer range. He effectively took on the role of snipers, but without truly instant kills (particularly at the longest ranges) and without any of the additional mobility that Hanzo and Widowmaker enjoy. To compensate for his lack of ability to work around them, while they required a lot of his magazine, he could break shields better than Hanzo or Widow.

In the hands of a good player, pre-rework Bastion was absolutely terrifying, as he should be, as most of the other damage heroes are. Now with a blunted weapon, current Bastion is just kindaā€¦ meh. They tried to patch up his weaknesses by increasing his durability, but in the process they took away some of his best strengths. Even his healing is now limited. Pre-rework, damage interrupted it but he could peek corners and self heal all day long, or alternatively hold a corner indefinitely against an enemy corner-peeker dealing intermittent damage.

Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™ve posted that exact thing to this very thread in the past, but Iā€™m too lazy to scroll through nearly 20,000 posts to find it.

Itā€™s rightful place of honor was being screamed at full volume in the devā€™s facesā€¦ but since i canā€™t do that, i figured iā€™d bring it up right here and right now since itā€™s more than theyā€™re doing with their lives.

If someone gets butthurt enough about this gif to silence me then go right aheadā€¦ iā€™ll be using it and the words above it a LOT in the coming future.

In fact, i think itā€™s my new signature.

Within this Fox burns the rage of ten thousand suns.
A rage which will never die, lest the problem persists.

As long as the hero loses basic numbers games, iā€™ll be hereā€¦ or somewhereā€¦ making my voice heard.

Iā€™m sure itā€™s a question of priorities rather than laziness, but I completely understand how after all this time the lack of Bastionā€™s prioritization has become upsetting. I suppose Iā€™m more tired than angry over it at this point, which is how I feel about Mercy too.

Bastion doesnā€™t have the biggest fan base, so Iā€™m sure that isnā€™t helping. The disaster of the last rework may also make them hesitant.

What was the disaster?

You remember the 3 days Bastion had a 35% damage resistance in sentry?

No, I must have missed it. But that honestly sounds atrocious.

1 Like

I honestly do not know what was the worst version of Bastion.

The Beta Beast or the Ironclad monster, both give me some seriously bad vibes to be honest.

1 Like

Did you guys see that BTC video about bastion? What did yā€™all think about it

Him again?

What happens this time?

I think he has absolutely no idea what heā€™s talking about.

2 Likes

I agree. Iā€™m not familiar with bastion like at all besides those few times when bunker makes me want to die but the changes he was talking about seemed waaaaay too drastic

His 1st option is pretty good one. Having Sentry being restricted by a resource with the trade off high dps will make bastion useful and keep his design.

Sentry Mode
Buff the damage from 15 to either 20 or 25.
Reduce the ammo count to 100.
Instead of reloading bastion gains 10 ammo per 3 seconds or 20 per 4 seconds.

Recon mode
Buff the accuracy slightly

Tank mode
Buff the direct hit damage from 200 to 250. It requires quite a lot to pull a direct hit with the tank. The splash can be the same.
Faster transformation.