Baptiste but with an audible P

Chu just let his ignorance/ego take over common sense.

Even Jeff knows the p is silent.

3 Likes

He’s a professional, it wouldn’t be hard to not say it. More likely Blizz deliberately told him to.

That’s not how names work. You’re practically insulting an entire community by saying “I can pronounce your French name however I like”.

And a fictional character has no say in how his name is pronounced, that’s a lazy excuse for poor research.

2 Likes

Let’s assume he’s real, then. If a real person named Baptiste says he prefers his name to be pronounced with the P sound, would you tell him he’s wrong?

This is so silly. I mean, people are clamoring for free rights in gender and sexuality and all that, but someone pronouncing their own name differently from the norm is inexcusable? I hate how PC the world is becoming and even I think this whole name shaming thing is ridiculous.

But he’s not. He’s written, by someone who didn’t bother to check how to pronounce his name.

Also, I think you’re taking the forums a tad too seriously if you’re that butthurt over the subject lol.

2 Likes

What is the source for this?

Nvm, found it: Baptiste - Developer Q&A Answers

i love people that calling out Science and Origin…when it s a latin word…

He is now going live on 3/19/19!!!
Source: twitter

I pronounce it how the characters in the game say it.

Baptiste says the ”P” and has been confirmed to be this way.

it’s easier this way

would be far more annoying if it was another Brigitte situation

It’s okay, we’ll get a character with the name Scott pronounced Sha-cot-tte

No it does not ?
In French Baptiste is said “batiste” there is no P sound whatsoever. There can be some local accent that pronounce that P but in “regular” French the P is not pronounced just like Loup is pronounced “lou” or compter is said “conté”, we don’t pronounce any “H” either.

I’m not sure about how Haitian Creole sounds like but I’m pretty sure they pronounce French Words in a French Accent.

But if we talk about the French pronounciation the P sure isn’t pronounced

1 Like

So a few things to consider here:

1. “BaPtiste” is how the character says it in-game. Could be for a number of reasons—regional accent, poor research, intentional adjustment for others’ benefit. We dunno. But that’s how he says it.

2. “Jean-Baptiste” is not usually shortened to “Baptiste”, but he could be taking that on as a code name (i.e. if he’s introducing himself to someone casually, as a civilian, he might say “Jean-Baptiste” without the P, but he uses the P in his code name for the benefit of his predominantly English-speaking teammates). E.g. Fareeha having a code name of Pharah, which is close but not quite her real name.

3. There have been some heroes who are intentionally hammed up for the sake of aesthetics. For instance, Tracer’s voice actor genuinely and sincerely has a British accent, but she was asked to exaggerate it for the sake of the cartoony aspects the character. I’ve lived among genuine cowboys (we’re talking about dudes who worked on a ranch and wore their spurs to church), and NONE of them would have said anything about being anyone’s “Huckleberry”. D.Va’s gamer catchphrases are not something I’ve heard anyone say while streaming, etc. So if BaPtiste isn’t how the name is pronounced by real people from the real region, it could be that the decision was made to say it that way for the sake of how it would come across in the game, as opposed to a simple failure to research. Now, you can have whatever opinion you want to about that, but it may well have been an intentional choice rather than ignorance.

I agree I prefer the pronunciation as the same way their country of origin pronounce it

I’m french, we don’t pronounce the P in Baptiste.

French guy named larry pronounced: Larrggghhhie

Worth noting that the voice actor has a fairly similar background to the character, in terms of what would define his accent. He grew up in French-speaking Canada, raised by a Haitian mother, and learned French, Creole, and English. As an adult, he’s been heavily exposed to English-speaking American culture and show business, which would equate to Baptiste’s experience in Talon (not that Talon is American exactly, but in the English version of the game, they speak English).

1 Like

Name them Jim, it’s even easier to pronounce

Who cares. I’ll call him Carl if I want to.

The point I was making about that particular statement is that people shouldn’t throw a fit over the pronunciation of a character’s name; given that:

A. He’s fictional

And B. (If he was ‘like this’ in real life) He pronounces his name with the ‘P’.

Brigitte on the otherhand- I don’t care how her name is pronounced, because I’ll call her what I call her, and if someone gets triggered over a fictional character’s name, then I think it’s best they stay away from the internet for awhile.

Same with Bappy.