Baptiste but with an audible P

It may be minor, but it bugs me tremendously. He’s Haitian. Many Haitians have French names and Baptiste is a French name. In French, the P that I understand is silent.

Now, unless they’re doing an American pronunciation, I really don’t understand. If they are, it’d at least make sense.

I’ve encountered this with my own name. I have a French name when French spelling. I’ve pronounced it the American way all my life, except when I traveled to France or if there were any French exchange students. They pronounced it the French way.

Just, after the whole Bridgette/Briggite debacle I’d think we’d have a better grasp on name pronunciation.

16 Likes

They’ve already confirmed that Baptiste likes to pronounce the “P”.

10 Likes

Please tell me hero 31 is names larry or scott or something.

31 Likes

Why? I like the name of Baptise, either pronunciation. It has a nice ring to it.

I just doesn’t make sense. I have met two Haitians each with unusual names.
One of them liked being called Max because it ‘sounded foreign’

So unless it really is just something that simple, I don’t understand

2 Likes

As you mentioned, it’s a French name, and Baptiste has a P sound in native French. Of course, you barely hear it with a proper French accent (same as just about any consonant you could put there instead of a P), but it’s there nonetheless. If spoken by someone who speaks English, as Baptiste does in-game, you can expect to hear it a lot more clearly.

2 Likes

Hey, guess what sounds like crap and takes away from what his name is alluding to?

koffeekage is just saying a character with a name that can only be pronounced one way. Larry is Larry and Scott is Scott and neither have silent letters.

3 Likes

Hi, french guy here, and my second name is Baptiste: the p is completely silent. There is absolutely no P sound, whatsoever. Sounding the P is an english thing.

18 Likes

That’s nice. Still sounds better this way

Google confirms your story. I trust you.

1 Like

This deserves more likes than just mine, holy crap that got me good.

How? Bap-tiste sounds really unnatural, and again, just come from English reading out the word. Ba-tiste is much more natural sounding.

3 Likes

That is a lonely opinion. There is a reason most youtube vids and BLIZZ THEMSELVES immediately assumed the former

1 Like

Yes, that reason being than most of those people are english speaking, and are used to the english pronunciation. Doesn’t change the fact that his name is not only Baptiste, but Jean-Baptiste, really. That’s another thing that surprised me: Jean-x name are rarely abbreviated like this.

4 Likes

Well if you select him he says: ‘BaPtiste here’ and I assume he knows best. Even if any other person calls him Batist.

Can’t we just we just call him Jean?

1 Like

Honestly: Who cares how it’s pronounced properly? If the character pronounces its own name Bap-tiste, then it’s Bap-tiste.
Just like Aarron ain’t Ay-Ay-ron, or Jaqueline ain’t Jah-kway-line, his name is pronounced ‘Bap-tiste’ because it’s pronounced by him (and the creators) as Bap-tiste.

2 Likes

So turn the game to French. This is the English version of the game. Last time they tried to be cute with a name with Brig, all the heroes and most people said it wrong. Even Rein screws it up. In the language the game is is fine.

Also, as many have pointed out, pretty sure the dude gets the final decision on how to say his name. Maybe he has been around English people for a long time now, kind of like Lucio

Years ago, Blizzard’s standards would have changed it. Kinda like with the Take away and the Take out with Junkertown bit.

But this just screams ignorance.

1 Like

Ignorance of what leisure?
I’m saying that if a character; be it real or fictional, pronounces their name a certain way than it is pronounced THAT WAY, and none other.
Blizzard’s standards don’t play into it one bit, as a name that can have any fluidity v. a regional-‘restricted’ sign that is accepted by law doesn’t compute to this tidbit in the slightest.

You peeve off Aussies for not utilizing proper signs within the region your constructing in (that’s based in a ‘real place’)- your sign’s gonna need changed.

You peeve off ‘people’ for not…pronouncing a name…right? Even though many names of many origins have different pronunciations?

Whut?

And aside from that: Why care? I’m just going to call him Bappy. If anyone gets ‘triggered’ over that; let 'em. ._.

Like I call ‘Brig-itta’ ‘Bridgette’. Or ‘Spag-et’. People get the idea that a noodle-flailing swedish lady is coming to smack the HFIL out of us.

So unless they add a clown to the game- Bappy it is. 'Cus Bappy is Happy about being Sappy with Pappy.

4 Likes