Baptiste but with an audible P

I’m french, we don’t pronounce the P in Baptiste.

French guy named larry pronounced: Larrggghhhie

Worth noting that the voice actor has a fairly similar background to the character, in terms of what would define his accent. He grew up in French-speaking Canada, raised by a Haitian mother, and learned French, Creole, and English. As an adult, he’s been heavily exposed to English-speaking American culture and show business, which would equate to Baptiste’s experience in Talon (not that Talon is American exactly, but in the English version of the game, they speak English).

1 Like

Name them Jim, it’s even easier to pronounce

Who cares. I’ll call him Carl if I want to.

The point I was making about that particular statement is that people shouldn’t throw a fit over the pronunciation of a character’s name; given that:

A. He’s fictional

And B. (If he was ‘like this’ in real life) He pronounces his name with the ‘P’.

Brigitte on the otherhand- I don’t care how her name is pronounced, because I’ll call her what I call her, and if someone gets triggered over a fictional character’s name, then I think it’s best they stay away from the internet for awhile.

Same with Bappy.

Gratzi. Sorry for the misled uhh…‘rant’. And thank you for pointing it out. T^T I feel like such a wiener.

1 Like

It’s cool dude, everyone makes mistakes and forums are messy enough as it is :sweat_smile:

My dumb self is just gonna end up saying “Baptist” mid game.

Father Baptist.
Gives good heals, good feels, and preaches the ‘word of God’ to them filthy heathens.

Why are people so peeved over this? I mean Reinhardt has quite a stereotypical German accent and no one cares. Mercy is Swiss but doesn’t speak the Swiss German dialect. Lucio doesn’t have a Brazilian accent.

Why nitpick the name pronunciation to such a degree?

I don’t know, we’re all acting like half of us don’t call Brigitte “Baguette”.

I don’t think people are “peeved”. You have to remember this is a public forum where we bring thoughts and criticism about a game we love.

So there’s no anger when we say If you want to represent a nation you can at least do it the courtesy of proper research and hope that next time they do better.

Oh I would definitley say some people are peeved. I could link you to a post from last week addressing the pronunciation of his name, where the OP said Americans are, and I quote “disgusting” because we don’t pronounce foreign words like Baptiste correctly. As if it’s alright for everyone but English speakers to have an accent.

And it just seems odd to me that people are digging their heels in so hard about a single letter pronounciation in a name, while Reinhardt sounds like a character from Young Frankenstein. His accent is far less linguistically appropriate than a minute Anglecized consonant in a name. The same can be said for Lucios complete lack of a Brazilian accent. People are willing to wave those inconsistencies away but not Baptistes, and I can’t for the life of me figure out why.

Also as a disclaimer, I am by no means bashing the voice actors for these characters. They do a tremendous job and deserve respect for what they do. I just can’t figure out why people are cherry picking this of all things.

This is not true. The “p” in French is pronounced as a soft “p,” which is de-emphasized but still present. Haitian French sounds extremely similar to Parisian French (I as a speaker of Nicois French can barely tell any difference at all), too, so I doubt there’s any major difference in how a Haitian person would say it from a Parisian.

Source: as indicated, I natively speak French

New hero Larry koopaling

Well, I can’t speak for everyone. I don’t think there’s any subject in a game that should really bother anyone that seriously.

But I do believe that it’s just common courtesy to make an effort to pronounce a foreign name correctly. And whilst Baptiste is a fictional character, whose name you’re welcome to pronounce however you like, he still represents a real nation with people who will share his name, and that should be respected by Blizzard putting in the proper research.

Haaabourgherrrr hawmbourgherrrr

1 Like

B.O.B. confirmed for hero 31!

Just picture a Japanese company adding a new American character named William to their very popular game, but in-game its name would be pronounced Wirriam. It would be silly and you would laugh, right?

Then whoever thought William has to be pronounced Wirriam would reply something like “but guys why are you laughing, Wirriam chose to be called Wirriam”. It would be even more silly and you would laugh, again.

It really doesn’t look like it, though.

1 Like