Baptiste but with an audible P

As has already been stated, this is a factor related purely to the character’s choices, not how their name is pronounced in their native tongue. It’d be like if Brigitte were to choose to have her name pronounced as ‘Bridget’ because she liked it more.

This is why Chu said “Baptiste pronounces the P” and not “Baptiste is pronounced with the P”

4 Likes

But it just doesn’t make sense.

He comes from a place that speaks both French and Haitian Creole, yet uses an English pronunciation of his name. It just would seem a lot more natural to use the country you’re from’s specific pronunciation of your name than to use a different countries preferred pronunciation.

Perhaps ignorance is not quite the right word, but it does bug me that it seems a bit out of place.

1 Like
  1. Many people confirming something doesn’t make it true. Many people can often be wrong.
  2. The guy is a voice actor. He’ll act how he’s directed and written. This it’s on Blizzard’s writers to craft an authentic character. It only takes 5 minutes of research to realize it’s not bap tist.

Blizzard apparently cares so much for diversity, but this just shows how hollow that is. If bateest is Haitian have him speak haitian French.

3 Likes

Almost like he spent a lot of his life in an English organization with a lot of people speaking English :open_mouth:

1 Like

Still though? I would’ve been called ‘Ja-qe’ if that were the case- given my Native heritage and whotnot. But I like ‘Jake’ as it just seems natural off the tongue.

Bappy can call himself whatever- given that he finds a certain pronunciation to his liking.

You are aware that Baptiste isn’t actually real, and thus, has no actual “choice” to make, right? The devs saying that he pronounces it the american way doesn’t change the fact that Jean-Baptiste Augustin from Haiti calling himself only Baptiste with a hard P is linguistically incorrect. It’s 100% a marketing choice, because people would more than likely pronounce it with a hard P anyway. Doesn’t change the fact that it’s wrong.

8 Likes

I am completely English and I use the french version of my last name because it sounds better. Guess what, people choose how they want there name to be said. You guys really want to use the diversity card nonsense on this huh?

1 Like

I also grew up constantly dealing with a foreign name. You tell people what it is, they learn it. I never said just call me Mark.
Also talon is an international group. Hardly English or American

1 Like

I mean, he has Creole voice lines, so he does speak his native tongue, to some extent.

And you are aware that fictional characters have fictional choices, right? Like it’s literally irrelevant whether or not they are actually real.

Not in the English pronunciation from what I’ve heard, which is clearly the one that Baptiste favours.

And besides, it’s a name. It doesn’t necessarily have to follow all pronunciation rules.

Yes, the only logical conclusion. That’s obviously why Brigitte is pronounced ‘Bridget’ in the game right?

3 Likes

I’ve been called the French pronunciation of my name Jacqueline when I went to French and ran into French people. Even when I hung out with them.

Yet, I grew up saying it with a hard K sound. Because I find it much more natural. I’ve run into other people with names that are native from their own country and they correct you if you spell it wrong. Some just take up a whole new name entirely if people get it wrong often.

Even if you spend most your life hanging out with people who speak a different language, you’re more than likely going to pronounce your name the way you grew up pronouncing it while other people will pronounce it differently.

2 Likes

So you’re saying it’s still possible?

French Canadians pronounce p sounds a lot of time. The voice actor is from Montreal of Haitian descent. He grow up speaking quebecois not French necessarily

No one actually pronounces Brigitte “Bridget”, though. No one. And if you do, you’re not even trying. And again: Baptiste pronouncing it with a P is an excuse, not an explanation. Baptiste did not “choose” to pronounce it with a P: Blizzard choose the character to be pronounced the american way, and made an excuse tweet about it.

Except that yes, actually, you can say your name wrong. We pretty much all did when we were toddlers, probably. Doesn’t change the fact that name have an actual, linguistic, etyomology and pronunciation, and can be, de-facto, pronounced wrong.

Which would explain that: the voice actor is really good, and it makes more sense for him to pronounce the hard P, which is why Blizzard worked around it. Doesn’t change the fact that’s not how the name would be pronounced by Baptiste given his background.

3 Likes

Incorrect. There are definitely people who call Brigitte ‘Bridget’
Exhibit A:

Regardless of whether or not people pronounce Brigitte as ‘Bridget’, there’s no denying that ‘Bridget’ is the more American way of pronouncing it. Thus, your argument has no merit.

Correction: Blizzard chose for the character to choose for his name to be pronounced the American way, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.

As far as I am aware (And as far as I can see from various Twitter accounts), no tweets have been made about this topic.

Is pronouncing names differently based on preference not a thing in french?

Plenty of people pronounce their names odd in english for no reason, why not other languages?

Ok tinfoil hat here: I think it might have been an oversight during recording or something like that because it’s just so silly that real Haitians with this name would pronounce it with a silent P (fact), yet in Overwatch a Haitian guy wouldn’t. Also Jeff indeed pronounces it with the silent P too.

Foolish producer: ok now we go over the your name lines.
Even more foolish voice actor: BaPtiste, BaPtiste, BaPtiste.
Producer: perfect, sounds great.

And there you go.

Same silly stuff with Mercy where they hired a voice actor with a German accent instead of Swiss (she’s from Switzerland).

1 Like

who confirmed it? his voicelines?

because i hear an accent. not the letter P

Surprised no one brought this up but Jeff Kaplan himself pronounces it without the P in the developer update.

1 Like

The Baptiste Q&A that was answered this week