Backfill not working any more

It’s took almost 1/6 of the normal games, happend more than 5 times in a full day run. This came along with season 8, and it’s already 2024 now.
Now I start to suspect that those bot games are filled by Blizzard themselves to embellish the active player numbers for financial reports.

Still not fixed… this is really frustrating to deal with for both teams.

Here to report this is still ongoing. GG Blizzard killing your own game. I’m moving on to something else.

I complained about this EIGHT months ago. Now I just had it happen 3 times in an hour. Disgusting.

Buy more skins pls

1 Like

I’ve also had this happen a few times (quickplay role queue) and it’s awful. Pretty much ruins the game.

Another day and another reply to try and make the devs aware of this bug. I know they’re on holidays, but this is kind of ridiculous.

Friendly reminder that information that we provide here is meant to help devs fix the issue, not just bark about the issue not being fixed. If they can’t reliably replicate the problem, they’re not going to have a way to fix that problem. If you want to update this thread that the problem is (obviously) persisting, you should also include a replay code and possible replication theories or other observations that seem different than matches where a backfiller is found.

This is worth echoing. When I’ve recognized this bug, it’s typically earlier in the match.

That was a different issue, as this is broadly impacting more users. What you experienced 8 months ago was likely more of an edge case. Plus, your activity doesn’t show you mention anything about a case like this.

It’s interesting that this issue sprung up as they increased the leaver penalties for Season 8. I don’t leave games, so the penalty has felt validating, but this bug is so egregious, that it seems silly to lock players to these lopsided matches. At this point, if the enemy team has the missing player, I offer to help them with achievements. It’s no longer a match when the roster can’t fill.

I want to believe that this is some byproduct of attempting to fix the common issue of backfilling into a match with seconds to spare or just into a “Defeat” screen. I want to believe they just accidentally resolved the inverse of this issue (the first 90 seconds of a match instead of the last). The best outcome would be to both fix this backfill bug and add a new feature that you will no longer backfill into a match that is on the cusp of finishing.

Wishful thinking, though. After all, the devs have not confirmed this issue here, nor has the known issues thread been updated for 2 weeks now. I think the Lunar New Year patch should be starting on the 9th or 16th, so we should hopefully see some acknowledgement around that time, or at least an update to the known issues.

1 Like

I feel like it is happening even more recently. I had it happen multiple times yesterday and it has already happened to me again today. (I’ve only played two games)

1 Like

This backfill problem is ruining so many games. Im shocked it hasnt been fixed yet, this is 2 weeks of id say about 10% of all games with a waiting for available player for the whole match. Really makes for a bad experience.

Why is this not fixed yet? No word at all? Do better Blizz.

I’ve been having this issue at least since November 2023 Leaver Slot Not Being Refilled in Quick Play

I left the game for about 2 weeks because of this. Now I played 2 games, one of them had a leaver at the beginning of the match and we didn’t get a backfill in 10 minutes. (Yes we won the first round)

Worst experience.

Bumping this back up because it happened again literally the first game I tried to play today.

It seems the game is saving a spot for a player leaving a QP game instead of letting other player join in, I noticed this on 3 matches

Hello,
Also getting this issue - here is a replay code where both teams had the same thing happen VKJWRQ
4 v 4 experimental I guess

Played Quickplay today, and the first 3 matches played fine.

4th match on New Junk City (replay code: 59T009), and the tank on my team leaves before selecting their hero. The replay doesn’t even show them at the start of the match due to how early they left. A backfill was never added during the 6 minute match, including no backfill for our 2nd teammate that left 1:13 into the match starting.

I played 2 more games of Quickplay, followed by 5 matches of Winter brawls via Arcade, and then 2 more games of Quickplay.

My 3rd game of Quickplay after the arcade games was another example (replay code: X58N5S). This time, a damage player from the other team left before selecting a hero, and again, the replay starts with one team starting with 4 players.

The next game had a leaver on my team 5 minutes into the match, and they were backfilled 3 seconds later.

It seems fairly reliable that if someone leaves during the hero selection, the match loses any chance of backfilling.

absolutely INSANE that blizzard hasn’t at the very least acknowledged this bug

1 Like

Been playing since Season 6 OW1 and this is the last straw for me after everything. I’m uninstalling (again) but this time I’m going to try and be disciplined and make a real effort to never reinstall. At this point all I hope for is OW to crash, burn, and fade away asap to open the genre up for another developer.

As of January 13th 2024 this bug still persists. I’m assuming most of the devs are back from vacation at this point. It usually happens when someone leaves before the game officially starts. Like at the very beginning.

I can confirm this. Quicker Play got implemented, yet the backfill is still not addressed.

2 Likes