Backfill not working any more

Had a few games now where someone leaves and there is no backfill for the rest of the game. Even when someone leaves near the start. Been going on for a few days now. This game GNV9ZN had 2 leavers, 1 near the start, and neither got backfilled for the entire game.

I notice there are also many more times when waiting for a game that it says joining game at the top and then never joins but after a while it goes back to searching. I suspect this may relate to it finding a game to backfill and then never getting put into the game.

41 Likes

This dev team is a joke. This has been an issue since 2 weeks ago but they never fixed it. When someone is leaving a match in qp it NEVER backfills anymore. Maybe it’s time to main another game.

13 Likes

It does backfill most of the time. It seems to be specific games. If it backfills the first leaver it will backfill future leavers. But if it doesn’t backfill the first leaver and others start to leave it won’t backfill anyone. Most games I’ve had it has worked ok with a few where it fails even if the leaver goes in the first fight.

I had a game yesterday where 1 person left. We had a couple of fights where missing 1 support meant we got wasted, I think by Mauga if I remember right. I just started to not bother too much but still went to the fight. Then another person left so I just stood outside spawn as I don’t want a penalty (having crashing issues giving me leaver penalties). Anyway, 1 of my 2 remaining teammates said in match chat “our tank afk report”. I mean, WT actual F? We were 3v5! The mental of OW players is astounding!

4 Likes

it does not backfill most of the time as of late, I can attest to this. About 9 of my games in the past week I had one or two vacant slots on my team and a couple of the enemy’s at times

3 Likes

I have to be honest I haven’t had a backfill work in QP in weeks. It seems to do it in arcade still, but I’ve had several leavers at start of a match that never gets filled.

1 Like

I too have had a few games with a leaver at the start and end up playing 4v5 for the full QP Match

I’ve recently had 2 back to back games with a back fill issue and game resets at 3v5 with no backfill. This even occurs at the 2nd point.

1 Like

It doesn’t happen all the time. I’ve had many games in the past few days with backfills. But it is still far too frequent. What’s most alarming to me is that I have yet to find any acknowledgement from the dev team. I don’t have many complaints with this game, but this could certainly drive me away if not addressed soon. It ruins the game, period. And the fact that they’re penalizing leaving at the same time makes it so much worse.

5 Likes

It’s obvious that this is a SEASON 8 PROBLEM right now. So, in the future, please COMMENT on discussions that have ALREADY STARTED on the same topic. Then this issue will get more attention AND MIGHT potentially speed up the FIX.

This also happens to me quite often. It ALWAYS seems to affect my team and not the enemy team for some reason, i’ve never seen it happen to them. Since Season 8 started, the frequency of this occurring has increased substantially.

Yup. Adding my #1 that this has just happened to me yet again, after many other instances of it occurring since the season 8 update.

Welp, happened again. Support player left during the hero select screen—right at the very start of it, in fact—and they never got a backfill; because it was a flashpoint map (and we went a little easy on them to keep it vaguely worthwhile) it was 5v4 for 9 minutes. In the very next match, a player disconnected halfway through, and for nearly a minute and a half there was no backfill until they reconnected.

It’s also good to send a bug report directly through the Blizzard app (Battle.net).

It seems to be affect start of the match leavers imo. About the time frame that would normally end a match in comp if you got a leaver aka within the first minute, now just never gives you one.

2 Likes

I’ve had multiple games today and several in the past week where we had a leaver mid match and the game did not supply a backfill. In once instance there were 2 leavers and no backfill.

About 1/3 of the games I’ve been playing that people quit seems to fail backfill. In the last 3 days I’ve had probably 8 games canceled dude to lack of players. Some of them I lost victories just shy of the end of the game because of it. Matchmaker doesn’t care how long a game has been going.

1 Like

same problem here. i have now uninstalled the game because it gets so frustrating. playing it since beginning but now theres a point where i stop support this game.

I can +1 that this SEEMS to happen for leavers at the start of the match, but not leavers midway through the match.

It seems to be up to about 1/3rd way through. I don’t think I have seen it later.

Yesterday I had this happen approximately 7 times through the course of the day most of the time it was just one person failing to backfill but had a couple where 2 failed to backfill and another where the game cancel all together just short of a win, no credit for the win or combat and wasted a good 30 minutes of my time. Blizzards a bunch of hacks anymore fix one thing break 10 more, must be a bunch of elementary school kids writing code for them since they can’t keep decent dev teams around.

Rarely you get replacements. I wish they would fix this because the games just stops… not fun for either team to 4v5 or 3v5. Broke with the Christmas update and is still going on.