Audio devices cause options menu crash

Platform: Win10

This seems to be an issue with the game enumerating audio devices when the options menu opens up. I generally have several audio devices plugged into my pc as I use it for streaming and recording; the more I have plugged in the longer it takes to open the options menu - however even with just one audio device (my headphones) enabled the time it takes to open the options is still upwards of 10 seconds. I’d like to reiterate that before march this year it wouldn’t take longer than a second to open the menu, and nothing on my system has changed since then as far as hardware devices go.

The behaviour varies; sometimes the game will hang for ~20 seconds and then open the menu, sometimes the game will hang for ~20 seconds and then disconnect and reconnect me to the match, and sometimes it just crashes the game completely.

It’s not a hardware limitation issue, I have an rtx2080 and an intell i7 9600k cpu which aren’t even close to full capacity when running the game. I (and several other people) have been having this problem since around march this year and it still hasn’t been fixed. There have been numerous threads in the tech-support channels but no other ‘fix’ has been suggested other than ‘disable all your audio devices’ which isn’t an acceptable solution.

This is a big issue that I was hoping would be fixed in the overwatch 2 client, but the same bug persists there too.

I have tried:

• reinstalling the game,
  • deleting all overwatch-related files,
  • scan and repair,
  • reinstalling audio drivers

Here are several threads by other people describing the same phenomenon: