Any point to Comp when OW 2 changes everything

It struck me that playing comp to refine my play on several characters was ultimately in the next year or so pointless due to the reworks coming in OW 2. Anyone else feeling that affecting their mindset towards the game? I feel now like I am putting time into something now that is just DOA…

1 Like

One way to look at it you will likely have a better time climbing now knowing how the game plays currently than trying to climb when everyone is trying to figure out how the game has to be played and there will be an inevitable number of new players joining the ranks. On the flip side, you may find it a lot easier to climb when the game will be in a complete state of chaos when OW2 releases.

2 Likes

Fair and well thought out points, thanks-

Are you suggesting that the ladder carries over even though the game is changing immensely? Why would it?

1 Like

I think what he means is the more practice you get in relative to the new playerbase presumably coming in, that skill will help you climb that much more against the new folks.

2 Likes

They didn’t reset the ladder when role queue came out. To my knowledge and based on past developement team responses, they have no intention of resetting MMR for Overwatch’s game modes.

1 Like

Because OW2 is literally a different title?

Overwatch 2 is going to be a “new game” yes but based on what we know everything about Overwatch 1 rolls over into Overwatch 2 including your collected cosmetics and access to new heroes and new maps.

Until we are directly told otherwise, plan that Skill Rating/Hidden MMR is not intended to be reset at all.

2 Likes

Bold move, cotton, let’s see how it plays out.

Last time I made a “bold” assumption, half of the community demanded that I be removed from my role as a forum MVP. What I state here is the safe assumption based on everything we know about both Overwatch and Overwatch 2. Its actually bold of you thinking that there is going to be an MMR reset. There might be one, but until any confirmation is made, don’t hold your breath. (You don’t want me to perform CPR on you.)

2 Likes

I think most on here appreciate your input, I know I do.

1 Like

It just seems odd that a new game would use the same ladder as the previous. Sounds more like a patch cash grab in that case.

Actually the initial idea from Activision was apparently to abandon the players who didn’t buy the new game completely and lock them out of everything if they don’t buy it. Now all they won’t get is anything not already in the original game so they’ll have access to the same multiplayer modes they already do with any updates the multiplayer side has.

It’s a legitimately good thing for gaming to allow people access to new things coming out to a mode they already have access to and just locking the new campaign and other modes behind the purchase instead of paywalling them. But the reaction from people who don’t understand it and are calling it anything from “cash grab” to “glorified dlc” are just making it less likely that any other developer will try to do the same thing and let old players access the same servers and lobbies as people who purchased the new game.

We’re lucky to be in a state where people who just want to play the multiplayer (comp/qp) don’t have to shell out more money to continue doing so but people who act like it’s a travesty are just making it so in the future everyone will have to buy it no matter what.

Except the age-old issue of the ladder being completely wonky.

Look at any game with a ladder or ranking system and you’ll find people calling it “broken” or “wonky” nothing new. 90% of the time it’s people just blaming the game for not ranking them up just for playing a lot.

Do I expect it to just be exactly the same? No they’re redoing the entire game engine so I would expect some changes but it won’t be a complete reset either.

I’m not those people, and I’m talking about Overwatch, not other games.

I didn’t say that we weren’t talking about overwatch. I’m saying it’s nothing new to see people say the ranking system in a game is “wonky” or “broken”. It will happen in any game that exists with a ranking system at all.

Like I said, I expect some changes to happen just based on the fact that they’re redoing the entire game engine but it won’t be a complete reset by any means.

And like I said, I’m not those people. I have several accounts that all play the same heroes and roles, and for role queue, I’m ranked anywhere between bronze and plat, varying per account. Open queue is the only thing that’s steadily diamond+

:+1:
Okay? I’ve said several times in the past that the ranking on new accounts in way to generous and imprecise. Many people come here who are bronze players (and before you say it I’m not nor have I ever said you are these people) who buy a new account and play with a high ranked friend to place plat or even diamond initially so they shout “THE GAME IS HOLDING ME IN BRONZE!” and then proceed to cry foul when they struggle in the higher rank and proceed to drop back to their real rank. It takes a large amount of games and consistent play to actually land where you should be.

You’re also ignoring how I’ve said several times now that I would expect some changes for the new game in some way since they’re redoing the entire engine and both games will get it but it won’t be a complete reset at all.

But they should eventually meet at the same point, right…? All these accounts are level 300+

Except this one, it’s like 200 or something

:+1: