Any point to Comp when OW 2 changes everything

Eventually yes.

And level doesn’t show how many games of comp you’ve played you know? I could go get an account to level 999999999 playing only qp or arcade outside of 10 games a season in comp. not to mention if you play solo it should balance out sooner since the people you group with won’t draw you one way or the other anymore.

Once again you’re conventiently ignoring how I’ve said several times now that I would expect some changes for the new game in some way since they’re redoing the entire engine and both games will get it but it won’t be a complete reset at all.

1 Like

So what you’re saying is that you have to play until at least beyond level 200 before you’re playing where you’re supposed to be, yet competitive opens up at level 25. You’re also saying that the system isn’t wonky because other people who play other games said those systems were wonky?

No I’m not, it’s well known that your ranking/MMR in comp is independent from any of the other modes, just like they are between the individual roles in role queue as well as open queue. If I go play to level 300 on only qp there won’t be any accuracy for my comp rank when I finally go place. The number of games played specifically in each role and open queue is what matters, not your overall level acount wise.

I could go play to level 100 only playing comp on an account after I got to 25 and then go play to level 3000 on another but only play comp for the minimum games in one season and that first account will still be more accurate as I played more games in comp.

No I’m saying it’s not shocking to see people blame the system or say the ladder is “broken” because it happens everywhere even if it’s not the consensus of people actually playing the game (just look at how many “blizzard bad” people say they don’t even play the game at all yet post here constantly).

I also see you’re still conventiently ignoring the actually point I’ve now said several times now that I would expect some changes for the new game in some way since they’re redoing the entire engine and both games will get it but it won’t be a complete reset at all.

1 Like

Okay, well I don’t play QP or Arcade, so there goes that theory. I’m also not blaming the ladder because I haven’t climbed to some place I want to be. I just want it to be consistent, which it’s not… because it’s wonky.

It’s not a theory, all you said was your level and I pointed out that the level on your account doesn’t show how much comp specifically you play at all. That is still true. While you may play only comp people all over the place get a lot of, if not most of their levels from other modes. (ONCE AGAIN NOT SAYING THAT APPLIES TO YOU BEFORE YOU SAY “I’M NOT THOSE PEOPLE”)

Either way you’re ignoring that I said earlier

I don’t know whether you play strictly solo or not but it’s only going to be faster to even out if you play only solo. Either way it’s not exactly easy for it to be consistent, I’ve done the same thing in other games too and place multiple times it’s always all over the place for anything that isn’t strictly 1v1. Why? Because you can’t guarantee if that good game I had in a high rank is because I did all the work to earn those stats or if my team steamrolled the other and I farmed stats the entire game while not really contributing to win conditions in the same way you can’t guarantee that the off game someone has at a low rank is because they’re bad overall or had an off game or even because their entire team was just that bad and only making it easier for the other team to win.

Would I like it to be more consistent? Yes absolutely, but when there are 12 people in every game who are nothing close to consistent in performance (no one always performs at their peak, anyone who thinks they do is lying to themselves) there’s only so much that can be done unless you want to link your accounts so they just get one rank. They will likely change some things just by virtue of going back over it to put the system in the new game, but it won’t be some magical massive overhaul to reset everyone.

Every other competitive game I’ve played has been pretty consistent, but like why do I have like over a dozen seasons logged over different accounts. One’s a silver tank, another’s a plat tank. Like… just explain how that isn’t wonky.

All I’m saying is that it’s wonky, I’m not sure what the defense here is for.

I’m not saying it’s 100% consistent, nowhere did I say that.

Like I literally said in my last reply I’d love for it to be more consistent but it’s hard to do for anything that isn’t strictly a 1v1 game.

Why? Because you can’t guarantee if that good game I had in a high rank is because I did all the work to earn those stats or if my team steamrolled the other and I farmed stats the entire game while not really contributing to win conditions in the same way you can’t guarantee that the off game someone has at a low rank is because they’re bad overall or had an off game or even because their entire team was just that bad and only making it easier for the other team to win.

Not to mention that so long as players can manipulate the ladder and place lower than they should (by throwing/smurfing) or higher than they should (by boosting) there isn’t exactly a good comparison for those stats. Was my bad game at a low rank against smurfs? Was my good game at a high rank against boosted players?

The games that are able to be the most consistent for their rankings are the ones that are 1v1 or solo lobies because your performance can’t be boosted or hurt by your teammate’s quality. Beat up a lobby that is the equivalent of silvers in a solo lobby with no teammates in a battle royale? Clearly you’re better than silver. Struggle in the equivalent of Diamond in a solo lobby with no teammates? Clearly you’re too high. But in Overwatch with teammates and groups? You could struggle in silver with a terrible team or get great stats while being carried in gm.

I don’t know what changes will be made to the system as I wouldn’t be surprise to see some just by redoing the engine but they aren’t just going to reset everyone or start from scratch for something completely new.

I think performance should be better examined. We know what the objective is, and the general performance parameters for each hero. I don’t think PBSR is weighted heavily enough to make a significant difference outside of those in the top or bottom 10%.

That’s the thing though. I do want PBSR to be reexamined but I don’t think it’s as simple as making it have a greater impact. After all it’s fairly easy to farm stats on some characters while not really actually contributing much to any win conditions. (Looking at all the 5 gold medal moira players). If there is a way to define “key/clutch moments” in a match or just plays that shifted momentum (like canceling/countering/killing a key ultimate, shutting down someone who is dominating, or just turning the tide in a late teamfight) that would be the best way to give bonus SR to players who deserve to be higher but I can’t think of a way to really do that that isn’t either easily abused by people farming stats or easily fooled like the POTG. And even then there’s a question of whether or not the moment was lucky or not.

The metric would have to be different per hero, clearly. And POTG shouldn’t factor into the score at all, even that doesn’t make sense half the time.

The balance would be making it measure the metrics for weight while avoiding rewarding people for just farming stats. Kinda like how it’s not too hard to farm big healing numbers on a lot of supports if you just only heal, but doing more than that actually contributes more to the win.

Though they don’t pay me so I’m not about to go through all the effort of rethinking it too much.

There’s no point playing Competitive any more anyway due to the plague of smurfs infesting the game and Blizzard’s unwillingness and/or inability to do anything about them.

All those smurf accounts are going to be there @ launch of Overwatch 2, since account progression is going to carry over.

1 Like

ooof i guess we should plan for there to be no more OWL also.