Another PTR cycle, the same forgotten robot šŸ˜„

The point, everyone.

The point.

Shield, higher dps, higher sustain.

Bastion doesnā€™t need ā€œCompensation nerfsā€ anymore. His weaknesses already outweigh most buffs you could even give him.

Imagine saying ā€œNerf Bastionā€ in 2020ā€¦ lol, please help Bastion, Blizzard. Donā€™t you think that seeing this hero underperforming in all ranks is just a bit alarming?

Read your post - You are a genius.
Lets mash some concepts together.

Ok, New Bastion. Iā€™m going to not talk numbers but concepts.

Barrier with some health when in sentry. So, once you are set up you are ā€œsafeishā€ from the people you are firing at, but, gives flankers a chance.

Remove Ironclad to help with that. Flankers GOTTA have that sweet sweet chance.

After ammo has run out, you are BOOTED from sentry mode, you gotta get up and walk around a bit, it loads ammo in the background, it may not ACTUALLY boot you, but you get no more ammo until you doā€¦ This stops you pirate shipping all day, which is the problem around balance.

This means we can make the sentry gun on him REAL mean.

His new play will walk around the edges of the field, until he gets that lovely sight line on something which needs a bit of killing.

He does the killing, now he had to get up and move, giving the counterplay a chance.

2 Likes

This is where i would like to approach cautiouslyā€¦

If youā€™re watching a Bastion shooting at you, when do you strike?

The moment heā€™s booted from Sentry Mode.

Itā€™s FAR too predictable.

Thatā€™s just itā€¦ he cannot be given compensation nerfs at this point.

Alsoā€¦

Thank you. ^,^

But the main point isā€¦

1 Like

You donā€™t, you are dead :wink:

Buff the GUN!

1 Like

You know this isnā€™t true.

Even Roady would fare rather well against this version of Bastion if he played his cards right, and out-played the Bastion.

And yea, he could even be moved to the Tank category by this point, but heā€™d still be half of a DPS. It would at least make some sense, compared to what we have now.

It opens up the ability to make him even more dangerous in sentry.

1 Like

Yes, but compensation nerfs take that away againā€¦

No booting out of Sentry just because you used it.
Especially if he had as little as 100 ammo, this would be a death sentence.

Ok, but no reloading until you do.

The idea is to make the play of ā€œmove, kill, moveā€ viable and dangerous to the enemy.

Having him just take a position, and stay there forever is the problem.

This way he can STILL be bastion, and we can buff him REAL hard because he needs that, AND we have stopped the issue with his play style.

This further restricts Bastionā€¦ The reload would even give the enemy a chance to attack him, while the shield would probably be burned quickly anyways.

You just arenā€™t seeing how fragile Bastion might actually be even while buffed.

Yes, he needs to be a glass cannon, but if you restrict reloading or using the hero at all, you restrict playing him.

In lower play, moving less would be detrimental anyways.
This gives the player a learning curve and the skill to apply it.

This gives us the ability to make him as glass or as cannon as we need.

In lower play, that is how he is played though. You walk him to the cart, and he sits there. Everyone else puts up barriers, and the fun begins.

Unless there is a low ranked answer to that style of play, we canā€™t make the other styles work. Because the buffs needed would make that style too strong.

Plat players have trouble vs pirate ship. your low ranked ones donā€™t have a chance vs a buffed pirate ship bastion.

So, lets make THAT style weaker, and the higher ranked style (like Kolorblind uses) stronger.

This is one way to do that. We donā€™t need him to have a low ammo count, but we DO need him to get up and walk around for a while.

ONCE that is done, we can buff the HELL out of him, because the ā€œproblem playā€ with him isnā€™t a concern any more.

1 Like

s#bringbacktheshield

1 Like

This is less true than you may think.

In lower play, according to every low ranked player iā€™ve ever talked to, Bastion is still a joke. And they understand that team play counters team play, even down there.

Now this is laughable.

I havenā€™t seen a ā€œPirate shipā€ in plat, for about a yearā€¦ not one that worked for more than two minutes.

That style would be weakerā€¦ it would still have itā€™s weaknesses.

Please, if you havenā€™t already as you claimed to have, read through that thread again, and try to see the whole picture.

Lower ammo count allows for him to have higher damage, period.
Right now you can spam shots for damn near 30 seconds or somethingā€¦ itā€™s too much to be buffed considerably.

[New year, new Bastion. šŸ¤–]

#BringBackTheShield

1 Like

True, people get their stuff sorted, and boom, he isnā€™t a problem any more, butā€¦

The moment we buff him to viablility, it WILL be a problem.

ā€œLower ammo count allows for him to have higher damage, period.ā€ Which is fine! I think that higher damage bastion is good bastion.

I think we can do it without making his ammo count lower. By making him commit to a fight.

Letā€™s break this down for a second.

Sometimes, a ā€œProblemā€ is exactly what you need when facing a hero played by a good player, and teamwork based solely around that hero.

The ammo would have to be lowerā€¦ it just would. i cannot see a way around this, and even the original version of Bastion only had 200 ammo.

If heā€™s going to be hitting hard, he canā€™t hit hard for a full 30 seconds.

The ISSUE is, that style is he same good or bad player.

It will mean he will have a high power level, and low skill expression.

Bad people are as good as good people.

If you buff him when he is like that, to be viable at higher ranks, then he will MONSTER the lower ranks.

I will no longer accept this as an answer.
Playing Bastion doesnā€™t make your team suddenly good, nor does it make the player good.

I get that. Iā€™ve seen a lot of bad bastions in my time. But once you hit a certain rank that stops happening, they all know their job.

The issue is, outside of people who know HOW to move / fight / move, how they play doesnā€™t change.

The skill to pirate ship with Bastion at low plat, is the same as high diamond, and that IS a problem.

There has to be skill expression for the hero, and their primary play style doesnā€™t let that happen.

Which means there is a limit to what we can do with them. I THINK I can get a Bastion rebuild which Blizzard would agree to, but, I canā€™t do it without solving the Pirate ship problem, around skill expression.

I donā€™t want bastion changedā€¦ Heā€™s the last remaining unique defense hero. Leave my boy alone.