An idea to prevent "dps Moira"

Imo, the best way to resolve the issue is to make her harder to dps with, but more rewarding.

Smaller beam hitbox, much higher damage (low-med Sym/Zarya charge dps), ensure her healing resource generation is stable.

Replace damage orb with an offensive utility orb instead. Aoe healing absorb, that intercepts healing done to nearby enemy recipients up to 200. Or an aoe slowing orb, etc.

Gives her a much higher skill ceiling, better damage with good tracking, utility to properly compete with Ana, and gets rid of accidental bounce out the back door orb kills. She’s got a low skill ceiling right now, which no hero should have imo.

will prob buff good moiras and make bad one derank to silver, i like it :wink:

1 Like

If they implement role-based SR, it’ll be interesting to see where the DPS Moira’s end up in rank.

Make her need to actually aim rather than hold right click in anyone’s general direction.

I cringe when people in this forum claim that they have to “aim” with moira. Zarya and Symm have to actually aim their beams to get value out of them.

So if you’re a good moira and manage your healing resources appropriately, you kill your potential dps and thus your contributions in getting important picks like genji spazzing around? Or if there is just nothing to heal, you won’t be able to contribute by depsing anymore?

And instead, you can grief your whole team by depleting your healing resource onto empty space to gain more dps and become true dps moira?

No thanks, the idea is absurd. Nobody is obligated to heal, just like nobody is obligated to dps or tank, even if they choose those roles. Punishing those who play their characters team oriented is not going to help nobody.

Absolutely not, deal with her the way she is. Changing a hero to cater to what you want i.e. preventing a certain playstyle, is stupid. Worked out so well before right? Mercy, Sym, Brig, Dva, and DF reworks have all been HUGE successes! Come off it.

I would love to see role based SR, that’s the one thing that makes the idea of role queue favorable to me. Would love to practice dps without feeling like a drain on the team.

1 Like

According to one of the more recent Dev interviews, this could already be in the works.

The idea in itself isnt bad, but Its not going to stop the toxic moira players from using all their healing resource by either other healing 1 tank or just emptying it out onto the floor so they get more damage.

I like OP’s suggestion. Another alternative that would prevent OPness would be to give RMB the same resource mechanic as LMB :

• RMB consumes a damage resource (left side) but charges healing resource
  • LMB consumes a healing resource (right side) but charges damage resource
  • both still slightly recharge over time

This would even give more meaning to the balance theme of yellow / purple lore wise. RMB would need a slight buff tho, to balance limited resource. This would also force Moira players to plan their damaging sequences.

1 Like

Does it have to be a specific form of enragement? Because I am well-versed in several.

It is often detrimental to the team if a Moira can’t keep their healing up with their damage.

If I’m am unable to maintain my healing up, it’s because the team has dispersed too much.
I’m going to damage in the meantime.

If Moira’s damage potential was reduced further, it would be much harder to defend myself when my team, or some of my team, decides to dive into the enemy themselves.

So I’m OK with Moira having enough damage potential that some opponent can foolishly run off on themselves.
If it’s a tactical distraction, it is what it is, but there’s often an out strategy as to not feed… Can be recognized.
If it’s the fool, well, they’re feeding out of a lack of strategy and especially a team.

So either call “Group Up” or use a mic to rein in any teammate that strays far, but if you’re going to change up Moira, I’ll take a bit more damage potential please… Like an on-fire Moira can charge & cast 2 orbs.

Gotta admit, this is actually clever. Always using one resource to gain another resource.

Not sure if it’s actually good in practice. I can see things like this happening:

And possibly other issues.

I don’t understand the mindset of “Nerf X hero to get rid of the bad players”.
Unless I’m misunderstanding something, it’s the equivalent of saying “Remove Rein’s Hammer because he deals too much damage” or “Nerf Soldier’s Biotic Field because he’s not a healer.”
I just don’t get it.

Moira’s core philosophy is she can damage or heal in any circumstance, it says so on her character page. And she already gets rewarded for more healing than damage since healing earns her more Ult charge per second and Biotic Orb does higher HPS than DPS and has a higher maximum output when healing.

As the to the OP’s suggestion, this doesn’t really “fix the issue”. All it does is make Moira even more reliant on her tanks to keep her safe. Alternatively, DPS Moira’s will empty out her healing recklessly to increase her DPS.

I’d recommend trying to focus on your own self-improvement to “out-rank” so-to-speak DPS only Moiras as it’s not a viable strategy to rank up with.
Or, if I’m wrong and it is a viable strategy, what’s the problem? Surely then it’s easy SR, right?

Or, and I really don’t want to play this card but I’ll throw it out there, you struggle to kill enemy Moira’s resulting in rash comments on balance. Not commenting on your own personal performance, you’d only perceive the enemy Moira as DPSing more than healing because that healing rarely has an impact on you specifically so you don’t really notice it.

People would just spray all their resource before every fight to get the buff and I wouldn’t blame them.

or we could just report all the battle moiras until only the good ones are left.

So like out of the 5 people that actually play moira, we ban those 2 that dps and we keep the other 3 and then the game is slightly more fun having 2 less players!

1 Like

Moira has never really used her damage to save herself from dives. Just look at a Moira vs Winston/D.Va interaction. It is fade and the healing orb that saves you.

One of the few suggestions which seem worth a try.

Anyway… trolls and a-holes will just dump the heal resource to 0 in the air to abuse the dps increase.

Then you could be at an awkward stage where you can’t damage or heal. No one should have such limitations.