After a 600 SR Losing Streak I Quit the Game

Never in my 12 years of competetive gaming have I ever had an experience that frustrating, aggrevating, ongoing unpleasant, in any video game. ever. period.
Throwers, Leavers, Smurfs every. single. game. That is not an exaggeration, that unfortunately is reality.
I have been playing Competetive FPS from CS over Quake to COD, Hero shooters like Team Fortress and Mobas like LoL, Paragon and Dota for pretty much all my life. And never have I ever experienced something so unpleasent that it made me quit the game.
With OW I snapped for the first time. The first time in all of my years of gaming I saw no other option but to simply quit. Compared to the ideal or hell even the real standard of other competetive games this game has such a fundamentally flawed and broken ranked system. And until this is fixed I donā€™t see myself ever coming back.
And thanks for all the people saying I wonā€™t be missed. I know. But this doesnā€™t concern me. This concerns the entire community if you ever want to see the game going somewhere.

51 Likes

Iā€™ve got you beat :slight_smile: I dropped from 4100 to a low of 3350 yesterday. I managed to recoop up to 3550 and am hoping to get large gains today

Iā€™d like to mention, the whole reason Iā€™ve dropped is due to being frustrated. Something both of us clearly were, if you are frustrated, you are gonna perform poorly. Itā€™s called being tilted.

Also, during my plummet I encountered a hacker on my own team. He ended up throwing, but he was clearly a hacker in the POTG. The super obvious massive stutter to aim. I donā€™t say this light heartedly

27 Likes

Youā€™re now in plat at 2557 and heading towards gold like your main account. Looks like the rank system works just fine.

19 Likes

Thatā€™s why you have to not play this game any more competitively than, say, any other regular game out there you play at any time. And sorry, the lower ranks are the best where you get to play this game as it was intended (though not the game produced).

Iā€™m silver right now and I canā€™t wait to get my Bronze rank, but I guess that was avoided because Iā€™m not cheating to get there and I ended up winning a game, even though Iā€™m sub 1500 at the moment. Silver is worse than Bronze, and Iā€™ve been up to high Gold, which is worse than them all (which includes what Iā€™ve seen of platinum players).

Thatā€™s the problem OP, the SR is not the game, and yet thatā€™s all itā€™s become a focus about. Youā€™re clearly a better player, in what way does that justify a 25% loss, roughly in your rank? It doesnā€™t. I mean, Iā€™m surprised you lasted this long and thatā€™s to your credit.

But like the rest of us, at least at the beginning, this was advertised to be something more and it isnā€™t. Itā€™s a regular game you play on the internet, no better than any others, just different. I like it for that, but you can tell Iā€™m in no way trying to get ā€˜backā€™ to my higher SR. In fact, I hope I can drop without cheating. Fortunately, Blizzard has plenty in its game that allows me to do that while playing by the rules.

2 Likes

Ok thatā€™s actually really interesting. I hope you do enjoy the game then regardless. But Iā€™m a naturally competetive person. I tried to enjoy the game in a way you do by just not caring too much. But I have a hard time doing so when thereā€™s this constant unbalance. I think the biggest problem is simply the lack of consistency. A Platinum game can feel like a Diamond game, a gold game or even a silver game depending on how many throwers leavers, cheaters, smurfs you have.
And rarely ever does a game actually feel like a balanced match of people of the same skill level and simply the better team winning.

6 Likes

Regardless if Comp, matchmaker, blizzard whatever works as intended, and works well. I do agree that OW is the most frustrating experience Iā€™ve ever had in any competitive FPS game.

I almost never encounter leavers, and to be honest Iā€™m not good enough to tell if someone is throwing or smurfing, Only time I ever suspect it is when a Hanzo or Widow doesnā€™t miss a shot then I see their stats and before this game they couldnā€™t hit a barn but whatever.

Either way between so many of my games just being so one sided stomp fests, and almost never being evenly matched games. Losing games where at times its almost impossible to tell, was the other team truly better? was there a smurf on the other team? was someone really trying to throw? You can guess and have an idea but like I said for me its hard to tell. Losing 25-30 Sr for a loss but only gaining 19-22 for a win.

Everything just adds up for me for a very frustrating experience that I just donā€™t really enjoy as much as I used to. Which is sad, because when good even games happen, and we win its so much fun and enjoyable, but in my experience these games happen at most 2 out of 10 or if im lucky maybe 3 of 10.

5 Likes

Oh so misplacing people by over 2 entire ranks aka a 1000+ SR gain and 500 SR Losing streaks equals working just fine ? I didnā€™t know sir kudos to you for broadening my horizon.

7 Likes

thanks for sharing, sacrifice on behalf of the community will be remembered

1 Like

I lost around 600 SR last week and since gained back about half of it. Same story as always when youā€™re winning you can auto pilot your way to victory and make several mistakes but it wonā€™t matter. But when youā€™re losing you need to carry your team in order to win and sometimes even thatā€™s not enough.

4 Likes

Gotta agree here. They say matchmaker is accurate at knowing where people belong. My friend bought the game back in like December, first comp season placed mid gold, and plummeted because he was not a mid gold player. He never should have been placed in gold. It wasnā€™t fair to anyone who got him on their team while he corrected because he shouldnā€™t have been in those games, Also not fair to whoever went against him because again he should not have been in those games. He has since gotten a lot better at the game, but placements were 100% incorrect.

Placements just really shouldnā€™t exist they do way more harm than good.

1 Like

You didnā€™t ā€œgainā€ 1000 SR, you placed there due to limited data over only 10 games. The more you played, the more accurate your rank became. All rank systems work this way. You are a perfect example of the ranking system working as it should.

3 Likes

Losing a ton of sr is pretty much part of the experience. I drop hundreds of sr almost every season, and then gain it all back a few days later. Ranked is a rollercoaster and you shouldnā€™t be too focused on numbers because theyā€™re gonna swing wildly all the time anyway

3 Likes

But this is why I donā€™t think placements should exist. Start anyone new to comp at like 1500 SR and let them work their way up. Donā€™t try to guess because there is not enough information, or stats to truly accurately place someone, even though Blizzard thinks there is.

Halo 3 to me had the best ranking system, You started at rank 1, when you won you went up by 1, when you lost you went down by 1. Everything sorted itself out, and you quickly found out where you belonged when you stopped climbing. As long as players were with in 2-3 of your rank thats who you played with/against. Didnā€™t try to make 50% win rate, or match players based on previous wins or losses. I miss H3.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly what happened:

The game has 10 games to give you your first displayed rank, it gives you big jumps to try and put you with equals. If youā€™re lucky enough to get carried for the first few ranks, the game sees you are winning and keep bumping you up tiers. If you want more accurate rank before getting placed, then Blizzard would need to require players to play way more than 10 games to get ā€œplaced.ā€

No, Im saying get rid of placements and do this. Placements can not accurately place someone.

Having each early game giving you +/- 500 SR is way more disorienting than the current system. Thatā€™s what will happen if you have a rank displayed from the very first competitive match.

Ok you either 1) canā€™t read 2) are a troll 3) are Jesse Lee Peterson which is pretty much the same thingā€¦ :smiley:

1 Like

It shouldnā€™t give you that much. It should start you at a display rank of 1500, and for each win give you 25 and each loss lose 25. Thereā€™s literally no reason for it to be this complicated yet still be this inaccurate.

3 Likes

Do you like smurfs?

This is how you get smurfs.

1 Like

Soooooooooo not much different than right now?

4 Likes