Adding a Role Q wouldn't solve any issues

You wont need to grind 3. Just play what you like, have fun :slight_smile:

Well, you currently have to do 30 different characters in the same SR, so its an improvement there too :stuck_out_tongue:

That battle is already lost. It is about changing the game like the very most play it and seem to want to play it. The other way around didnā€™t worked in the past 2, nearly 3 years.

so like i said i went back and watched video and transcribed it (cause im actually crazy)ā€¦since i think exact wordage is importantā€¦so here it is:

Jeff - im a huge fan of 222 comp i actually think the game has evolved that way, not even the game to be honest, i think the player base has evolved to the point which that is the accepted way to play the game, we did not sit in 2013 when we started making this game ā€œboy the optimal team compā€¦we ship this game in 2016 and you know when it gets to 2019 really 222 is really where we want to playā€ā€¦were watching how the game itself evolves and thats due to the decisions were making as the develeoprs and also watching how the player base evolvesā€¦

i want to talk to people about 2 2 2 and the concept of role queue that everybody is really fascinated with and interested inā€¦we actually really love this ideaā€¦i think where there is a disconnect between us and our player base is understanding what is actually required and what are the downsides or the costs of putting a role queue in the game, nvm the community sentiment whether people are split whether they think its a good idea or notā€¦i think its a great idea and i can go at length to why i think OW can and will be better with a role queue that locks people to a 222 compā€¦theres just realities, people talk about it like theres a radial dial in the editor that says role queue, and a couple of fields that says like you know want 114 or 222 and i just need to go back to my desk click a button and then it goes live in OWā€¦it took us over 2 years to write our matchmaker, and if we wanted to pursue something like a role queue it is months and months of rewriting on the matchmaking system and i know this from doing deep heavy research on itā€¦im not just speculatingā€¦we actually have people doing work on this nowā€¦and then theres other things that are great concern to us tooā€¦and this is not a fair numberā€¦its not a fair statisticā€¦because it assumes no behavioral changeā€¦and i believe that if there was a role queue system in place over time you would see a behavioral shift in the player baseā€¦but with no behavioral change what would happen today if we put role queue live is that if you wanted to play a dmg characterā€¦right now our average queue times are about 1-2 minutes longā€¦the average queue time as a dmg player would go up 13 to 26 minutesā€¦in addition to what youre already waitingā€¦so as a [dps] player if we did nothing if we didnt work the problem through game design before putting it liveā€¦a [dps] player might ent up with a 28-29 minute queue timeā€¦so i just want people to understand that we are not opposed to this ideaā€¦but the idea is not as simple as the player base makes it sound and theres a responsible and irresponsible way of us going about it
soā€¦i dont want people to panicā€¦like i said im a huge fan of role queue and im a huge fan of a 2 2 2 metaā€¦

[interrupted and talks about how it would actually make game easier to balance if was less flexibility - because you know exactly what will be played]

we are excited about role queue and a 222 metaā€¦that is something we would like to pursueā€¦its the scope of work and the community impact and making sure when and if we do itā€¦we do it in a way thats its right for the game and right for the player baseā€¦like when we did no hero limit and we put that inā€¦people acted like it was the end of overwatch and i think youd be few and far between to find anybody who didnt think that was all around a good ideaā€¦we have to be a little more careful than the cavalier reddit poster thats who are just like ā€œjust flip the switchā€

(promtped about role SR)

i see it as an issue and as an oppurtunityā€¦one of the things that excites us about making players to commit to a role before they enter a match is that we can actually match them theoritically on an MMR accurate to their performance on that roleā€¦(example of genji main playing rein)ā€¦when i talk about the workload involved in fixing some of these issuesā€¦when i said took is 2 years to write matchmakerā€¦right now the maker is written in way where it just judges you as a universal player of overwatch you can pick any character at any time its not role or hero specific,ā€¦cause we dont know what youre going to switch to in a matchā€¦and i also think getting to players and intentionsā€¦like understanding what do players actually want to play when they sit downā€¦i think everyone has an intention when they enter an overwatch match of twhat they want to hope to doā€¦and either because we;re good sports or because were bulllied or because weā€™re stubborn we end up doing what we end up doing

okā€¦after listening (and writing it down :sweat_smile:) i can still see it going either wayā€¦he clearly loves the ideaā€¦cites plenty of pros (and cons) but he is well aware of the enormity of the task involved if they actually pursue itā€¦ā€œwhen and if we do itā€ just reinforces the fact that it is not happening for a VERY LONG timeā€¦he kept stressing how long it took them just to get a matchmaker inā€¦they can very easily get to a point where they see that its just not going to be possible to do it without causing massive issues that they already dont want to seeā€¦and even then by that point the game may have changed so much that its not even necessary anymore or not worth it (its ā€œdeadā€)

so i will stand by what i saidā€¦its not a guarantee that it is going to happenā€¦its just a guarantee that they are trying to work on oneā€¦

Itā€™ll fix my issue of having people think 5 dps works. So yeah I hope they implement it. Longer wait time is worth it for a team that actually wants to play the game.

And I still stand by that he is purposefully being very, very careful with his wording due the extreme knee jerk reactions and petulance already displayed by this community as-a-whole.

Iā€™ve booked marked this for future reference for when Role Que is released :wink:

Can i get a quote on this one?

ā€œTweaking of systemsā€ is not going to fix that, many other games have tried(and failed) to fix that problem, Blizzard already being one of the companies with World of Warcraft.

Thatā€™smainly because damage is useless right now, and the reason for that isnā€™t because thereā€™s a lack of RoleQ, itā€™s because Tanks and Supports are too strong, and theyā€™ll stay strong even with RoleQ.

Flex players can play what they want. Some choose to play something else. Just because they flex to fill roles does not mean that any positives are going to outweigh the negatives for them if enforced RoleQ is implemented.

My main issue with RoleQ is if it was enforced and mandatory. If there were two separate modes for comp, one with enforced RoleQ and one without, then that would be the best of both worlds. Making it mandatory is where is starts causing problems.

againā€¦theyre absolutely working on a systemā€¦but he didnt guarantee anythingā€¦

ill mark my calendar for Jun 2020 (my best guess)

Strange one, my best seasons I was more flexible between Widow and D.Va, seasons I basically one-tricked D.Va didnā€™t go quite so well, and last season switching between Ashe and Widow I ended up mid-silver.

Shows my ā€˜bestā€™ isnā€™t always whatā€™s necessary, but my best heroes arenā€™t in the same role. Nor are all my heroes in the same role anywhere near as good as each other.

Playing what I like means all 3ā€¦ This whole stupid system means I have much less to gain from doing this. So what if I did end up in Plat as Tank, Iā€™d still be mid Gold as support and borderline Silver DPS. I canā€™t take that with me when I need it. I just lose rank playing ā€˜not Tanksā€™, and feel frustrated when I am Tank and need to be not Tank.

Yeah, it kinda has, itā€™s still hugely popular. This feels like trying to fix something that isnā€™t broken. Itā€™s like introducing Garrisons to WoW.

Solo queue is still vastly more popular than LFG, which already offers these very toys. It canā€™t be that bad, it just canā€™t.

That is in a world where matches are completely random and you need to fill because your team doesnā€™t have what is required to win. If the dice rolled so that your team has what is required and youā€™re able to main your best freely, then youā€™d rise.

Youā€™re assuming a lot about the systems there. I dont get what you mean by useful - surely if you get a rank appropriate to your ability in that character type, thatā€™s useful for what youā€™re gonna use it for?

Well I donā€™t get to go Widow when Reaper and Junk wonā€™t switch to deal with Pharah. This kind of bad DPS selection happens altogether too often without 2-2-2 enforced; I canā€™t see it being less prevalent when it is.

Again, the issues involved arenā€™t composition related, theyā€™re player behaviour related.

True - the direct offshoot of that will be people in each role having to have a broader range of skills to get to the higher ranks, which SHOULD be the case now, tbhā€¦

It should, it isnā€™t, 2-2-2 doesnā€™t help it, it just narrows it further because thereā€™s nothing to gain from expanding beyond that role.

People have been whining for years about getting Widow, Hanzo, Genji as their DPS who wonā€™t switch. Now they want to remove their own capacity to do anything about covering for them.

See, this is where we differ - i see the reduced variance of the team comps giving the designers more of an ability to focus up and better define/strengthen roles. That genji might not be able to carry against a team that knows how to counter him. Heā€™ll get booted down the ranks (hopefully) compared to the guy who can play more roles.

1 Like

agreed. ppl dont want to wait for LFG even though que times are nearly identical according to dev stats and time and time again ppl say they dont mind waiting but in reality clearly very much do

Youā€™re supporting homogenisation of the game.

Right now, there are issues with balance, but outside of a handful of outliers; the better team will usually win.

It works perfectly well in World of Warcraft (you choose 2-3 roles youā€™re willing to play) and would work well in Overwatch meaning every game you are guaranteed at least 1 person that wants to tank and 1 person that wants to heal. DPS are a dime a dozen.

Yeah, no, it gets way more complicated than that outside of easy mode where composition starts to matter. Then you use the LFG tool rather than LFD. Or better still, have an actual guild.

There is no random LFD for Arena, for good reason.