Adding a Role Q wouldn't solve any issues

Seems like a good idea in theory, but horrible in practice, Im glad Blizzard is smart enough to know how much this would negatively affect the game.

If you disagree with me, thats cool idc. I made this post so Blizzard employees can see there are people out there who really hate the idea of Role Q being forced into the game.

27 Likes

Why would it be horrible?

4 Likes

In Grandmaster I already have to deal with 10+ min Q times as it is, often these Qs will put me in massively unbalanced matches (think playing against diamonds as a Top 500…) after waiting between 10-25 minutes.

Im a DPS main, so if this change went through I’d be looking at a minimum of 30 minutes of waiting in Que per competitive match. At that point I’d just completely quit as thats a massive waste of anyones time and not worth it. There are better games out there that don’t force me to wait an hour just to play.

22 Likes

It shouldn’t be forced above diamond at all.
But it should be available in gold/plat maybe dia. Imho.

In gm you will get a flex player playing main tank, bc he wants to win.
In plat/gold you want to play your best hero to climb. If you never played tank before, you are not going to risk your sr so your dps players get good stats to get into diamond.

1 Like

The main word is “available”. It should not be “enforced”. A separate mode with enforced RoleQ would be better than just suddenly forcing everyone, including those who don’t want it, into having to use RoleQ.

2 Likes

Yes! Gm/top500 wait long enough as far as I’m aware. They need really a quick mode.

And anyway in theory at master + you should be able to form a team comp.

And gold/plat should have the option to pre form a team, through matchmaking and role sr.
But its a big topic regarding que times.

Encourages one tricking, discourages switching altogether.

How is that a better game?

It won’t help you climb.

3 Likes

Even at lower ranks, it being enforced would drive a large portion of the playerbase away. In other games with RoleQ and roles like “Damage, Tank, Support/Healer”, the larger groups that make up one of the categories usually have those long queue times like you mention at the end, so enforcing those for people who want to be those category are the ones being punished for the other two Roles getting what they want.

Having different SR for each role would be nice as well, since then you would get matched up with people of similar skill level for each of your own individual skill levels. I don’t know how much work that would require on the devs’ part though.

They could always make it so you can queue up as either dps, tank or support or any combination of those roles. The wheel must turn, it is selfish to go expecting that every match you play someone will tank / support instead of you.

4 Likes

agreed. its not something i want in any way.

• it wont fix bad team mates (toxic, racist, leavers, etc)
  • it wont fix needing a certain hero and no one is willing (or now able) to switch
  • it wont fix queue times. jeff already stated that right now, dps queue lines would be at least 30+ min unless they rework the MMR system, which will take months. (considering how long it takes for anything to come out, i would say it will take longer than just “months” if they choose to od it)
5 Likes
  • It would help fix losing the match on HERO select screen in many of my games.
  • Role based SR would help balance the teams better and make less games one-sided stomps.
  • It would help with balancing of the game, i.e. killing goats without having to nerf or overbuff heroes that are already balanced in 2-2-2.
5 Likes

Terrible 2-2-2 compositions exist. People unable to play necessary heroes exist.

From Plat downward, you can queue with someone 1000SR below you, it wont make any difference.

Dive was 2-2-2. Compositions used against GOATs and dive use 3+ dps on certain maps.

3 Likes
  • It would limit team comps vastly and go against the basic premise of the game, being able to choose and make whatever comp you want.

• I would make wait times for certain role(s) ridiculously long, as is seen with every other game with a RoleQ that has these 3 basic roles. It would then also decentivize the playing of those role(s).And if that doesn’t bother you because it doesn’t affect you specifically, then you are part of the problem.

• It would make a large portion of the player-base leave due to the previously stated basic cons to RoleQ in this game.

This isn’t because there is a lack of RoleQ, which means adding RoleQ would not fix this. This is a matchmaking error and could be fixed without RoleQ. Adding RoleQ without fixing this will not get rid of it and it would still happen anyways.

2 Likes

I mean, it wouldn’t make the game a paradise but I still support a role-queue and class-based mmr system anyway.

they wana do that to remove goats coz they know they made goats kinda off stronger with baptiste i think it shouldnt be implemented and that they rework brig and nerf baptist a little

What people think will happen:

• All matches will be magically balanced (false)
  • You will have better teams (false)
  • You will have less frustration or throwers (false)
  • You will always have 2 people tanking and 2 people healing (false)

What will actually happen:

• Long queues for DPS
  • People caring only for 1 type of SR will basically throw way more often in other roles
  • People will still blame the MMR system
  • You wont be able to choose your role based on the map you are going to play

And the most important BAD thing that 2 2 2 forced will bring :

- Implementing the FORCED role queue will prevent flex players from exercising their liberty to flex and help/fill functions/roles needed when others can’t flex in that needed spot or are better doing other things instead.

6 Likes

So many people afraid of change? What do we have now that honestly is so great that would just be devastating to lose due to change?

Queue times? Well it seems that the devs realize this as it was one of the first points that Jeff made and said they would have tweaking to do to the mm system to combat this. So I am going to guess that dps queue times maybe a bit longer, but this is always the nature of playing strictly damage classes in any game.

Creativity? This was a worn out excuse when people spouted it when they put 1 hero limit in… Most metas are 2-2-2 formula anyway. I would argue that in a 2-2-2 structured environment that players will need to learn counters and truly have to understand their role. Especially if they put a role based sr in the game as Jeff seemed very excited by the idea.

Flex. Well lets face it if you flex now odds are that you are flexing tank and support. There is never a shortage of damage hero players. So congrats with a 2-2-2 structure in place when you want to play damage you can.

One more important thing to note, and everyone seems to gloss over it. Jeff very definitely said if there was a 2-2-2 structure they could more easily balance heroes. Which, seems to me, we have more viable heroes to play than just the 6-12 heroes we get with the current system of metas. This goes back to what I was saying about knowing roles and counters. If they can balance more heroes for more situations you will have to know which hero in your role you need to be playing and actually know to swap to them.

1 Like

It would solve the problem of this game still having active players. Overwatch is DOA in NA the second that patch is released.

“Hey guys this is Jeff from the Overwatch team. You know how we destroyed the game for a year through our own incompetence and hubris making all but a handful of DPS characters unplayable then systematically nerfing the ones that were playable into garbage? Well I’ve got some great news for you DPS players. WE ARE DOUBLING DOWN BABY!!! ONE HOUR QUEUE TIMES TO PLAY THE CHARACTER YOU WANT!!! IMMORTALITY FIELDS AND EVEN MORE BURST HEALING SO LITERALLY NOTHING DIES AND EVERYTHING YOU DO IS MEANINGLESS!!!”

2 Likes

Watch the interview he gave on this. Not only did he recognize that there would be a long queue for dps role, but even gave the time that it would be today if they patched right now. Then he followed that up with what they would have to do to fix the queue problem… And I wouldnt say OW is DOA in NA. If you want an example of a game that was DOA look to Lawbreakers.

People aren’t “afraid of change”, people don’t want something added to the game that’s going to damage it more than it’s going to help it.

As I said before, just because it doesn’t affect you directly does not make it ok. Especially since DPS is the most played Role in this game, meaning it will affect the majority of players. That is not a good thing.

No, it’s not, as it still allowed someone to play any Hero not already chosen. that’s still pretty creative and can make any form of composition. Further limiting choices is not good for the game about freely choosing what role you want to play at any time.

And this shows that you once again don’t care about a large portion of the player base. Just because there’s “no shortage of damage players” does not mean that there should be favoritism towards Support and Tank players.

1 Like