A Mercy Rework Concept (by a Mercy Main)

I love Mercy with like 400 hours on her in high diamond (been in masters), but I can’t play her anymore, In my opinion it’s just not worth it when you could do so much more, with someone else. Don’t get me wrong I want all healers and heroes playable and balanced, but Mercy just isn’t there yet, so here are my ideas on how to fix a failed rework (if you have to nerf a rework 13 times with no positive changes then it has clearly failed). Not that she isn’t playable but I feel something needs to change, so here it is:

DETAILS:
Health: 150hp
Role: Single target healer

Comments: Having Mercy’s health reduced will allow for other buffs to take place without being overpowered and just there to make her OP again.

Caduceus Staff:
Hps: 60
Damage boost: 30%

Comments: Her healing output needs to be higher, back to where it was so she can be that main healer more consistently

Caduceus Blaster:
Dmg: 20
Reload: Mercy no longer needs to reload her weapon but it will regenerate ammo. A critical hit will instantly give Mercy one more shot, and a new bullet will generate every 1/6 of a second after you stop firing for a short period.

Comments: Everything about Mercy’s weapon will remain the same except for how the weapon reloads, this will allow mercy’s that are better with this weapon to use it more often, and will make using the weapon a little more skillful making it so if you can hit those shots you can fire more often.

Passive- Angelic Descent:
Everything about this passive will remain the same.

Guardian Angel:
Range: 35 meters
Speed: 25 m/s
CD: 1.5 seconds

Comments: The speed and CD buffs will allow Mercy to be slightly more mobile to make up for her HP nerf.

Valkyrie:
(Now an ability)
Grants Mercy the ability to fly around freely for 8 seconds.
No longer has beam split.
This applies a slight speed buff of 20%.
Increases range of Guardian Angel to 40 meters.
Caduceus Staff range decreased from 15 meters to 7.5 meters
Healing output increased by 12%
Applies Valkyries gift passive on ally the beam is connected to.
CD: 18 seconds
Comments: Having Valkyrie as an ability will help Mercy be more mobile and survive longer in a fight, as well as keep up a pocketed teammate, as well as helping them increase their proficiency with their role. However to help counter this increased strength her beam range has been decreased to ensure that if a mercy wants to help her team she must be involved in the fight and not flying around 100 meters in the sky.

Passive: Valkyries Gift-
When your beam is connected to an ally while in Valkyrie, their abilities generate 15% faster.

Restore:
(Ability binded to reload.)
When activated Mercy’s Regeneration passive will become buffed for 7 seconds.
Regen will not stop if damaged
Self heal increased from 20hps to 30hps
CD: 10 seconds

Comments: This will allow Mercy to survive in fights a little more. It will also allow her to have a new play style where she can bait enemy players into diving her, and her using this as a last second save and having her team jump on the dive target.

Ultimate- Resurrect:
Mercy’s ultimate is resurrect again.
You now can charge past 100% and hold up to 3 charges of her ult.
No invincibilty
No cast time
You can instantly rez a single target with each charge. Using Ressurect will also grant nearby allies Valkyries Gift for 8 seconds, this can stack if you use Valkyrie.
Range: 10 meters
Passive Radius: 6 meters

Comments: Mercy’s new version of rez will allow for a lot more counter play but also can be way mor useful and powerful if used correctly. It also means mercy must rez one by one and not all at once like the previous version of Ult Rez.

Passive: Regeneration-
After not taking damage for a second you begin to self heal 20 hps

That’s my idea for Mercy Version 3.0, thank you for reading, leave constructive criticisms down below please.

14 Likes

I’m not saying the rework wasn’t useful or made her bad, but when you have to nerf something so much without any buffs obviously something isn’t right with it and because it’s so powerful it’s practically impossible to balance, it’s also not fun to play Mercy anymore and video games are all about ‘fun’ so it’s failed in that regard too. Just because something was OP and can do something doesn’t mean it wasn’t a failure.

8 Likes

I think she is pretty balanced right now. The main thing I’m seeing is that many Mercy mains are not happy with the rework, which I understand. As for your idea I like it a lot and It’d give her a lot more to think about, but it does seem a little loaded even with only 150hp. The cooldowns on valkyrie and regeneration seem a little fast. Free flight for 8 seconds every 12 seconds while having the better guardian angel and range on healing is pretty op imo, other than that I think it’s great. It’s just really unfortunate blizzard has closed the idea of further changes to mercy :frowning:

5 Likes

Yeah it’s a shame :tired_face:

Might that cause significant issues for consoles and PC users that can’t aim?

Mercy would be able to be in the air 8 out of 12 seconds without needing to super jump or Guardian Angle to an ally

I’m also not sure everyone is on Mercy for the movement.

If Mercy was split into multiple characters it’d be worth a shot but, I don’t think it’d be a good one to go to for a straight replace.

It’d potentially have less of an impact than the existing Mercy.

1 Like

Honestly, mercy is really bland and not as impactful as she once was and this last nerf did her in for good, I know people are gonna be saying that she’s balanced and such but she’s really not. I do want higher skill heroes to be able to do more than lesser skill heroes but you can’t say one hero takes less skill than another unless you actually have played both and actually played
them, and a lot of people say Mercy is low skill but she’s really not if anything I would say she’s one of the hardest heroes in the game to play

4 Likes

Well i mean the point is to make her more fun and engaging while useful and balanced, and as for the aim the point is to reward a player who can hit those shot consistently while not putting others who can’t at a disadvantage and if we’re being honest you normally don’t use your pistol anyway so when you have to if you’re not hitting those shots anyway it would be the same

1 Like

So making 4 seconds room to counterplay her with any hero which does not require perfect aim? raise the cooldown to 15-16 seconds and it’s more in line

1 Like

I don’t think the cooldown starts as soon as you activate it, but if it does then yeah change it

1 Like

No… NO
We do need need free flight on Mercy
We do not need to nerf her to be so weak it’s painful to even consider
Herh ealing dosen’t need to be lower then 60
60 healing was on a D list hero back in 1.0
Something else is wrong
It’s not her mobility
It’s not her healing
It’s rez as an E giving her too much power

5 Likes

Having Mercy’s health reduced will allow for other buffs to take place without being overpowered

If you’re referring to her mobility buffs, you’re shooting your own buffs in the foot. When a hero has a tiny health pool it severely hampers their ability to move freely, since they’re at a much higher chance of getting oneshot every time they stick a toe out from behind cover. There’s no point in being able to run away from everything when the primary threat to your life is a stray rocket.

Comments: Her healing output needs to be higher but not to what it was at before, now it’s at a middle ground so you can still put out a lot of healing but not a stupid amount.

Her heal rate was fine before–the only reason it was nerfed was to make room for E rez, and now her heals are trash. The middle ground between ‘fine’ and ‘trash’ is, what, ‘kinda trash?’ Just let the main healer main heal.

this will allow mercy’s that are better with this weapon to use it more often, and will make using the weapon a little more skillful making it so if you can hit those shots you can fire more often.

I think what you mean is that this change encourages players to mess around with their peashooter instead of healing. The headshot refund is particularly pointless, since surely if you were reliably scoring headshots you’d have killed your target and returned to healing anyway.
Besides, her pistol was never an issue.

The speed and CD buffs will allow Mercy to be slightly more mobile to make up for her HP nerf.*

Mercy is already mobile enough to outrun any hero that chases her. What does she even have to gain from being even more mobile? If anything, if Mercy is to become a 150 hp oneshot magnet, the last thing she needs is to become so mobile that she’s unwieldy.

Having Valkyrie as an ability will help Mercy be more mobile

This is pointless. You’ve already doubled her mobility with GA. There is no use whatsoever for this much mobility when you’re already giving her twice as much mobility as any other hero that might threaten her.

as well as save a team mate that is out of reach.

How’s a teammate going to be out of reach when you can virtually teleport yourself on a one-second cooldown?

Mercy can only Res one dead ally

Honestly with how weak you’ve made the rest of her kit , there’s no need for a weak ult as well. You could give her mass rez with this kit and then maybe there’d be a chance that she’d see playtime on 2CP 2nd point.

5 Likes

Look I’m all for people voicing their opinions on heroes and their kits. And I’m glad you did so in a respectful way, which I can honestly say I don’t expect from my fellow Mercy players anymore.

But to be honest, I think Mercy is actually in a really good spot. I swear I’ll pick up the torch when more people come after her mobility (which I’ve already seen too much of). But for now, we should let her be. Her kit is strong enough to make up for the substandard healing I think.

3 Likes

Thank you for expressing your opinion, I changed a few things but kept the Health nerf. I can see what you’re saying, but personally I think this could be overpowered. I increased her healing, buff regeneration, and added a unique little thing to the ultimate.

As a Winston main, I support this for the other team’s Mercy.

Suggesting Mercy DPS?! Prepare for the haters~

1 Like

Isn’t this simply infinite ammo or am I reading it wrong?

1 Like

It’s supposed to start generating when you aren’t firing for a short time. But yeah it will generate 6 bullets a second, and Mercy’s current reload time is 1.5 so in that time you will actually generate 9 bullets.

As a GM Mercy main this is a no go for me. Mercy doesn’t need an HP decrease nor does she need a burst heal ability + Valkyrie + Rez.

What Mercy needs as another rework.

• Is old Rez as ult + counterplay to make it easier to deny. Also a burst heal to effect living allies.
  • A new E ability. That offers her some kind of improvement ie. a skill shot. Also not CC maybe a debuff
  • Keeping the GA movement because that’s fun.
  • Keeping Mercy as a single target healer. Which was her original design.

That’s it.

4 Likes

I like the idea of swapping her ult and rez, but I think there might be a simpler solution than having Valkyrie on E. They could:

• Move rez to her ult (as in the original post).
  • Remove Valkyrie.
  • Remove the ally target restriction from Guardian Angel. Ie, make it a long lunge you can point in any direction (use jump or reactivate to cancel early).
  • Put her pistol on secondary fire.

This frees up a button (weapon swap), essentially gives her flight on a basic ability by using Guardian Angel and Angelic Decent together, and gives her a little more damage potential by making it easier to pepper in pistol shots.

They could still have the ally teleport ability in the game on a new hero. Eg, a tank that can toggle a link to an ally, where the link splits damage the ally receives onto the tank, copies healing between the linked players, and the tank can teleport to the ally (or vice versa if the linked ally presses the Interact key).

Yeah thats a good idea. There’s so much they could do with her