šŸ“‹ A Manuscript of Changes I want to see added to Improve the Overall Health of the Game and it's Community

I donā€™t like any of the Sombra changes but the Mercy changes are very nicešŸ‘

I actually disagree with more stuff than I agree on here, but well written post.

I agree with a lot of this stuff except for 2.

A couple specific points:

For assists, obviously your damage ranges donā€™t work. If you need to do 100 damage to a 200hp character to get an assist, then getting an assist is impossible unless you both do exactly 100 damage.

Also, this doesnā€™t properly reward good play. The most important thing in Overwatch is killing characters dead. Any character that isnā€™t dead will be quickly healed to full, which suggests that final blows are very important here. If I do 190 damage to a 200hp hero, then die, I will happily give assist credit to a teammate who finishes that character off, because I know all of my work is moot otherwise. The current system is not perfect in this regard but it does better than your suggestion.

Also, just in general, I think this change is pointless once we have a proper scoreboard. The only possible exception in Genji, but if you really think Genjiā€™s dash reset is so problematic we should probably just remove it entirely and reduce the CD on the move to compensate.

Also, while I do think some kind of scoreboard is very needed, the implementation youā€™ve suggested heavily punishes switching. If I was just Brigitte and I switched to Mercy, itā€™ll look like I have way too many elims / damage and not enough healing, which will cause people to say ā€œoh great itā€™s a stupid battle mercyā€. You might be able to fix this by showing only the stats over the last couple minutes or so, but then this doesnā€™t give the full picture. This one is tricky. I kind of wonder if a revamp / improvement to the fire system so that being on fire very consistently represents playing well is the answer.

I also think the hero changes are almost entirely nonsense, thereā€™s far too many big changes for a game that is currently mostly balanced, weā€™ve already seen how tiny tweaks like having soldier do 1 more damage per bullet can have a huge impact, if changes are needed they are likely to be minor.

1 Like

They already have. They explicitly said itā€™s not bannable, but that you should try more heroes. (they still said its not bannable.)

No. The entire point of Tracer is to be a duelist. Tracers who can use double blink to trick their enemies are good Tracers. Not everyone is just gonna do that. Changing her blinks like that would make them feel like Reapers teleport. Slow and clunky, even though theyā€™re supposed to be fast. The only thing Tracer needs is, Armor doesnā€™t effect her as heavily. Same with Reaper.

Are you sure you edited this?

Overall your Mercy changes seem solid but this doubles her CD for GA. The current one is at 1,5 seconds and doubling that is very harsh for Mercy. Otherwise nice and detailed thread you made.

Dang this list is hugeā€¦ oh well, here are my counter-arguments to your points.

The one problem with such a proposal is that it can be debated if such an auto-balance system is considered fair. Tell me, have you ever watched the game show Family Feud? In that show two teams of 5 work to guess popular answers to a survey question in a series of rounds earning points based on how many people out of 100 surveyed answered each question. First team to score 300 points wins and goes onto the bonus round. Now in the first two rounds, point values are at face value so in most cases, a team earns 50 to 70 points if they win that round. Third round, points are at double value, so a team could earn as much as 150 points. Fourth round, points are triple. I have seen way too many episodes where one team will win rounds 1 through 3, and just be a few points below the 300 mark, then team 2 wins the fourth round, which in a sense ties up the score, and then the game goes on to a sudden death round, where if team 2 wins, they will beat the first team who won the first three rounds by only winning two. It doesnā€™t make a very fair game in my opinion.

Now that analogy is a little stretched, but I think your proposal would have serious repercussions in a similar manner. Overwatch in its current state is a game can snowball quite easily, but regardless of ultimate economy, any team fight can go either way and can begin a reverse snowball. I have had many games where I have salvaged out of really bad situations, and I have had many games where my team loses after banking a 6+ minute time bank on a starting round. In reality, I do not see a need for this proposal, and if the ā€œwinningā€ team is maintaining the ultimate advantage, then I see that as fairly earned. The team at the disadvantage needs to prove themselves by finding ways to force the other team to squander their ultimate advantage.

I am personally not a fan of a pick/ban system on either the Competitive Play mode or in Pro Play. Nor is the Overwatch Team.

Source: Overwatch Forums

Also your proposed rules are INSANELY COMPLEX and would drain the initial fun out of a Competitive Match, regardless of rank, we want to start playing Overwatch, not setup a lengthy campaign of Dungeons and Dragons. Even at top level Competitive Ladder play, team comps are not dictated by ā€œpro metaā€. I will agree GOATS has been dominating the pro scene a little too much, but I do believe balance changes are still the key to keeping the game fresh. Adding complicated rules like this destroys the fun of what Overwatch is. Sorry but this is a really bad idea.

This also seems like a very bad idea. To take the example of the Genji Dash Reset, complaints would start pouring in on whether they should have it or not. The game is too fast pace and it would lead to situations where players would make a mistake because they ā€œmiscalculatedā€ because of silly rules like this.

As a Pharah main, I feel this is not really in a bad place. I think you are think too much on one-off instances where there are too many questions in play, such as whether there was a D.Va defense matrix in play or not. Again the game is too fast paced for us as players to properly track things like whether a projectile makes contact or not. Please if something doesnā€™t look right, video record it, document it, and report it in the bug report forum. They donā€™t respond to most reports there but they are always reading them.

No. I am very against this. Players in a team of a game of Overwatch CANNOT be constructively compared in statistics alone. Yes, statistics will help you work to improve your own game but to compare it with your teammates which have different roles is an extremely bad idea. It is my observation that when one player is over performing, it can have a direct result in other players underperforming in that match.

I much rather see the tab screen be reworked where it removes all comparisons to other players on your team, and instead show whether your stats are out performing your own career averages, so that you can improve your own game on your own heroes overtime.

I will note the devs would live to share the ability to do this because remember this is a brand new game engine. Here are dev posts to reference to:

I see the logic in trying to counter Goats, but I think this would have long term implications in the long term. Not going to say itā€™s a bad idea, but right now only Brigitte is the only hero can that provide external armor. (Torbjorn no longer does.) Right now I feel they are making good strides with removing Goats from being 100% viable by boosting overall damage to certain heroes like McCree (with his Flashbang). So I donā€™t think this balance change to Brigitte is needed right now.

I too want to see a Guild System and I do believe this is the third ā€œsocial featureā€ that was postponed from last fall based on recent dev interviews from BlizzCon. Overall a Guild System needs to promote ways to get players to stay together and play together in that guild, otherwise, it will bomb like LFG. Unfortunately, that leads into the argument of how the matchmaker works in terms of grouping groups together in matches.

I see your logic here, but such a feature would have a SERIOUS negative impact on matchmaking overall. If the matchmaker seperated by langauge (even to just individual teams so that a English team faces against a German team), it would still dramataically impact matchmaking times on smaller populations of certain languages. Statistically, I do not see this proposal working. Instead this is what a guild system should help take care of instead.

They have stated their stance on one-tricking:

Quote: Overwatch Forums

ANYONE who claims they are being banned for One-Tricking is actually being actioned for being toxic. Too many instances has this been proven the case.

I, myself have been reported for various reasons including a specific hero-choice (though I am not a full fledge one-trick), but I have NEVER been actioned or even warned. This is because I try my best and I am cooperative and respectful in communication. Again, if you are actioned for violations of the Blizzard Code-of-Conduct, appeal it with Blizzard.

I am going to forgo commenting on your Hero Balance and Map balance changes. I donā€™t think that you are approaching hero balance with making sure any proposed change impacts each of the 29+ heroes and the overall game balance. Map changes, yeah there are some decent ideas, but right now there really is not a really bad map with impassable chokeholds at any point. Most of your proposed changes are for situations where a team has lost a team fight and now find themselves in a pickle.

My advice is thisā€¦ patienceā€¦ Brigitte was introduced at the launch of the game but is a new hero in 2018. Lore is slowly being leaked. Yes I want to see more comics and stories, but with recent hires to their writing staff, I have a feeling 2019 will be a good year for lore.

You are trying to compare hero launches for MOBAs to Overwatch? Sorry but that is a oranges to apples argument. Here are key comments made by Kaplan in a website interview on why Hero launches are at the pace they are:

Okay I am done here, anything else is more or less hyperbole that is not worth discussion. Honestly, you made your wish list with a lack of consideration to what has been done in the past, and without knowledge how Overwatch is developed. Also, do you seriously expect all of this to be made overnight? That wonā€™t happen I promise you.

In reality, Overwatch is in a really good spot overall, NOT perfect, but good. Yes there is GOATS, yes there are issues with Competitive, but really, what you propose wonā€™t solve itself overnight.

1 Like

This could easily be achieved with the release of the game editor. Which would allow players to create custom games and modify heroes the same way the devs can barring anything that would require animation/artwork changes.

One my past posts about it.

I remember them talking about releasing the editor in the past but it was so long ago I canā€™t remember the source. But instead we got the custom games settings which were supposed to be temporary. But given the state of the game and rate of content being released the release of the game editor may never happen.

Uselessā€¦ The game have many counters, so uses it. Donā€™t be OTP, or play in fortnite or call of, or CS:Go, youā€™re welcome here

I suggest play with only european teams, not with KSA and African playersā€¦

For any heroes, a lots of your suggestions are jokesā€¦ Thereā€™s good as they are.

Delete the core of Sombra ? Are you smoking ?

No thanks, itā€™s better like this. Besides, heā€™s not OP like you think

Discord can be cancelled, so heā€™s fine

Only 3 changes for heroes are necessary :
-Brigitte about have to change 5HP for everyone, Hanzo storm arrows (50 damages)
-Genji : Just to increase deflect hitbox
-Reaper : up to speed his shadowstep

Every map are fine (even if itā€™s hard to have any second point of 2CP). Any ideas to rework second point are welcome.

You can negate this comp by focus Bastion. thatā€™s all

My thoughts, of course

1 Like

Brace yourselves, this is a long one.

If I may add to these as well as arguments against your system specifically.

You brought up Jaynes games, which are fun but has problems (such as the whole idea of bans in OWL but lets not go into that). The biggest is these are all (at least to some extent) co-ordinated, friendly teams with fairly good game knowledge and leadership as well as speaking the same language, or in other words ideal settings. Put this system into a solo q match where people argue, donā€™t communicate and are not on the same wavelength and you will have trouble. The amount of players I meet saying something like ā€œThey have Brig Goats, McCree swap to Reaperā€ does not make me confident in peoples ability to either effectively ban heroes, or adapt to a weird meta after some bans. Then there is the 2am team with a tryhard, a kid, a casual, a stoner, a one trick and one guy who only speaks Spanish trying to make this system work, good luck with that. It will lead to more RNG games, toxic behaviour and problems in any public setting.

The simple fact is banning a hero you wanted to play is not at all fun, yeah it might be good for balance but thatā€™s not all we play for, we also want fun. The literal USP of this game was the flexibility and hero switching being fun and dynamic, cutting that away is not great. This isnā€™t a deal breaking issue or the be-all-and-end-all but is still relevant.

We also have an issue with the roster being too small right now, with some roles being way too small to see restrictions. The best example is main tank where banning Rein and Orisa easily ruins a game, most comps require them and only having monkey gives very few options (all being hard countered by Brig who is not banned) or running a no main tanks comp, very weird unknown and hardly for for any main tank players in the game. Something like this maybe unlikely but shouldnā€™t really be possible. Also teams could abuse the hell out of this by doing something like playing with a really good lets say Orisa and perma-banning Rein, the more commonly played hero, to hurt other teams more than them and abuse the system. There is a real fear of stuff like this and it may create more problems than it solves.

It also will increase trolling/toxic behavior as people will argue over who gets banned, throw if their hero gets banned, throw if the ā€œwrongā€ hero gets banned and so on. Itā€™s the kinda of thing that makes toxic behavior more common. People will g crazy with it, Just as an example someone on your team plays Junk and Bastion, so you ban bastion because you donā€™t want one. People will do this stuff and it will cause problems.

None of these are total deal breakers, but all of them are real problems, hard to solve and together make many of us concerned hero bans causes more problems than it fixes.

Now to your system specifically

My god this is complicated. Iā€™ve read it a couple of times and Iā€™m still not sure I get all of it. It will take an age for players to get the hang of it, some will be slower and then others will get angry with them for that and people will make mistakes. You havenā€™t even got protecting a hero in there which is something many do want and makes sense, yet yours is still too much.

Look at LFG, you make a group of 6, they pick their role or play flex and there is an option to lock to those roles. How simple is that compared to:
We have bans in a new phase where you cannot see enemy player information and then you can vote to ban 1 hero from both teams but you can also undo this if the other team agrees and this system only exists in Diamond (well 50sr into diamond) and we have to send you popups to remind you to play lots of heroes.
That is the shortest description of your entire system I could do, and I got out of breath just reading over it That is way too much.

Then we have your whole undo the ban thing. This is a bad idea as it is a big part of why this is so complicated by adding an whole new phase and mechanic. Also no team will ever agree to doing this, if you ask for the vote the other team will see your struggling and double down and if your winning why change the rules of the game halfway through? On top of that it goes against the principles of banning being a extra tactical element to the game. If you can just undo a ban (at least in theory) then it removes the risk of banning something to hurt the enemy even if it may hurt you as well. If your doing bans do bans, donā€™t water it down with unneeded and poor extras.

The diamond and up thing is also a bad idea. Weā€™ve already got people playing a very different game on different parts of the ladder, this makes it actually a different game and that hurts the game. It feels like this is a well plat and below donā€™t matter and will just get in our way so lets just ignore them kind of proposal, rather than this is something we need that they donā€™t. Rather than that it feels more needed lower down, as what is OP there is not OP higher up. One of the best selling points for bans is to allow different parts of the ladder to balance themselves without affecting other parts of the ladder, you get rid of that for no good reason.

Sorry if this comes across very harsh, some of your ideas are great like the PTR one, Iā€™m 100% agree with you. Others I can see where your coming from even if I disagree, and your clearly a smart guy. This ban system though feels like a real misstep in what is otherwise a pretty good selection of changes. Even though I donā€™t like bans I see how they could work and be good, and this is not that.

Oh man! Best of luck with all that.

Iā€™m a writer myself (which is why I said reading is kinda my job), but I stick to the more conventional routeā€¦ literary fiction, experimental literary fiction, etc; no sci-fi or fantasy or anything cool like that. Itā€™s not my forte. I guess Iā€™ve done okay in my own way, won some mentions here and there and some competitions in lit magazines, but havenā€™t published yet. Currently working on my first novel, and I know how tough that can be no matter what genre one writes in.

Again, wish you look with everything, and Iā€™ll keep that title in mind: Prize Not the Mask. Hopefully it doesnā€™t change or Iā€™ll never find it. :cry:

Nah, that title is set in stone. I can do that since this time around, Iā€™ve skipped the agent and publisher and am going my own way. I already have a fan base, so itā€™s just smarter money in the end.

I do mainly super-hero, horror, thriller, and post-apocalypse. Itā€™s what I was known for in the table-top industry for 14 or so years, and where I built my current fan base. So, Iā€™m sticking with what works. Itā€™s also been my main reading genres for the past 15 years or so, as opposed to the sci-fi and fantasy I did in the 90s, so works all the better.

Whether my genres or yours, the key is to write what you enjoy. I donā€™t care if its kids books like Captain Underpants. A writer is a writer, as far as Iā€™m concerned.

1 Like

I would rather the gates of hell open and unleash pandemonium irl

Cheers to that.

/20 chars

1 Like

I completely get what youā€™re saying, but thatā€™s like saying to condense Harry Potter into 1 book. It completely negates the points behind all of the books.

The bigger picture is OW is not in a healthy state, and here are the reasons why and how I would fix them. Some are left open-ended, but thatā€™s more or less a technicalities discussions, like how a map maker could be implemented.

You donā€™t give a reader an option to skip a portion of reading because you deem it unnecessary knowledge. I have condensed most everything down into a solid section. If you want a comparison for what each hero idea could look like, then go to the Bastion megathread. I could easily explain the dynamics of EACH Sombra buff and nerf, and how it has bloated her and made her an even worse hero. But instead, I stuck to the TL;DR of it, while not sacrificing my main point.

But at the end of the day, not all writing needs to be condensed. There are several books that are very think, but the author wrote it that way for a specific purpose. I chose that way with this thread.

How does it buff her offensive capabilities if I nerf her HP, self-heal via damage, and removing whipshot outright?

The purpose of her is to hold her barrier up, give Armor to those out of range, and put herself between her and any enemy that tries to attack a certain hero on her team. That could me an Ana geting dove upon by a Winston. That could mean putting herself between a Sniper and a Zen who is low.

Thatā€™s my intent behind her changes.

Which is why Iā€™m more about substance in this thread.

The end goal was to rework the fundamental hero interactions with these heros. Make Ana less of a Tank pocket while making it easier to heal squishies.

Rein I do believe is fine up until his charge can still kill his counters like Reaper and Bastion.

Tracers nerfs are to prevent baiting out CC via double blinking, and only by double blinking.

With sombra, it was to streamline hack as well as not sacrificing an ability, as she technically traded translocator for her second hack.

Then with Brig, she is still just as tanky as before, but the different is that itā€™s not in combat. This is why I emphasized her healing capabilities.

Because her healing is based on accuracy. Higher accuracy = more heals. Her clip nerf prevents Tank from rolling forward.

Even ignoring the 14 ammo nerf, sheā€™s only doing 70 less healing per clip. This is why the context of increasing hitboxes matters.

And buff the anti-tank heros.

This is still playing it safe though. Not bannable appeases the OTs, while saying they should try more heros appeases the people against OTing.

And what exactly has this solved?

HOLY FUā€¦ sorry, I appeard to, hehe, lost control.
Iā€™ll definitively read this, even if it takes me 5 years (I hope it doesnā€™t lol, I still have to go to college on february to finish a test lol). Cya later.

2 Likes

Straightfoward, I love it.

2 Likes

Seagull:
ā€œBastion mains talk a LOTā€

Weā€™re just living up to the name.

3 Likes