Is AndyB coming back?

Just wondering since it’s been mostly Jodie (who’s not bad at all) but I really thought he towed the line extremely well when it came to handling player sentiment.

2 Likes

Andy is the community lead for the Overwatch community team. Which does mean he has a lot of responsibilities which go beyond participating on the forums. Don’t worry he is around, but I think it’s very important to understand that a community manager has a lot of tasks that we don’t get to see from our view.

28 Likes

IIRC he did mention when he introduced Jodie that he would be stepping back a bit from the forums due to duty changes.

2 Likes

You know people with those kinds of jobs just browse Reddit and play solitaire all day, right?

10 Likes

Running him off the forums this fast would be a not so surprising result to be honest :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I am someone who has been taking the time to expand my career skills in hopes of finding an opportunity to work in community management, I can absolutely assure you that is not the case. I have a mentor who is the community lead for another video game that I am following with great interest and she has been instrumental in helping me learn everything about what she does and how it impacts the development of a game.

Video game community management is not just being a voice on official channels for a given game. You need skills in copywriting, graphic design, social media platforms, Agile/SCRUM/Jira, Google SEO Analytics, content creator outreach, and so much more. Not to mention you need to have a strong interest in the game you are a CM for AND be willing to put yourself in the line of fire of flames and trolling that occurs on channels like these forums.

So please, I ask you to carefully consider that you take the time to understand that what community managers do is a lot of work.

23 Likes

lol hes doing a pretty bad job, the community has no idea what is going on with this game or OW2 correct me if im wrong but the point of the community manager is to interact with the community and be a liaison no?

3 Likes

I just figured he was on vacation or something. Is he still around on Reddit?

I think we’ve already carefully considered how terribly this game has been handled.

5 Likes

HR and Marketing Employees explaining why they totally deserve 60k-70k dollars a year.

8 Likes

It’s a cushy white collar job dude. I used to work in radio, I’ve written copy. It ain’t hard.

It’s fine. I’m not really trying to denigrate him, more power to anybody who gets money from Activision. But it’s hardly difficult work.

8 Likes

At least they seem to do more than other Activision Blizzard staff.
Such as NOT Harassing female employees.
Which apparently takes a lot of effort considering how hard it is there.

2 Likes

A community manager is responsible for the interaction of the company and team with the community. The forums, setup by the company for the players, should be an important part of what a community manager is involved in. The fact he is never here, never gives any news, does not manage anything visible to the general community, etc. implies that he is not doing a very good job as a COMMUNITY manager.

2 Likes

Does this mean community managers on this board are stakeholders for sprint reviews and sprint planning? For better or worse, this could explain a few things…

Y’all! Andy never left us!! :sweat_smile:

It probably feels like that since I have been trying to spend more time with y’all on the forums, but I promise he’s here!! :slight_smile:

To speak to the other subject in this post, it can be difficult to quantify what Community Management is because our goals are qualitative. Our pro strats are driven by sentiment, awareness, engagement and building a healthy ecosystem around a game we love!

Blizzard is special to me because of how involved the community team is in the development process. Team 4 puts a lot of value on my team because of how much they value the Overwatch community-- which is all of you.

I am going to let Andy know that you miss him, and I promise you will be seeing more of us both from now on. :blue_heart:

41 Likes

Sounds the same, at the end of the game content is what drives the community, Google seo and stuff are just fancy things esp for massive titles like overwatch.

No offense but we’ve seen similar promises before :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

We do appreciate you being active now

2 Likes

Fair! But this one is from ME. :smirk_cat:

29 Likes

Regardless of the corporate change, are there any OW related announcements coming in the next few weeks? Figure Lunar New Year is coming soon, at the very least. Some basic information would be appreciated.

1 Like

I need OW2 news.

We haven’t gotten anything In literally 4 months.

1 Like