-50 for rejoining a game?

Power blipped out for a minute during the first round of Route 66, around point two. Made it back for hero select of second round.

We win.

I lose 50 SR.

Why even rejoin? Do I still have a leaver mark on my “record”, or is it just SR punishment?

All for leaver punishments, but this piece of the design is terrible. I was there for at least 75% of the game.

I proposed a policy that would fix this problem if you want to see

I’m not against any of that probably, but my issue is that I was present for over 75% of the game and still got penalized.

Is the threshold just the two minutes before teammates are allowed to leave? I assume yes, but maybe it should be measured against how much of the game you’re there for (if all teammates stay).

Currently if anyone disconnects within two min of entering the game (or 30 sec after attackers leave the gate) then the match is cancelled and only the leaver is punished.

Otherwise, leaving for any amount of time at all nets you 50sr losses and I don’t think even rewards you for the win if you return and do so.

I think this is dumb in both incetive systems and feeling for players. So let’s fix it.

This should be fixed because some “leavers” would probably come back, but the morale hit knowing they hurt their team and lose all their SR no matter what makes 'em say fugg it and they don’t bother joining back.

1 Like

There doesn’t even need to be any penalty for leavers.

All they need to do is add backfill to Competitive.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/competitive-needs-backfill/9120

They could even add a “reserves bench” for people that disconnect and then are able to reconnect.

No, the penalty is for leaving the game. I and your team are glad that you were cool enough to come back and not leave them hanging, though. It speaks to your character.

Rejoining a game is only possible during certain phases of the game. If you leave a game either during the pre-game or during the first minute of the game, the game will automatically cancel (remember the 10 second rule does not apply to the leaver, but as a warning to other players that the match will cancel). You can rejoin the match during the initial hero selection screen if you are lucky enough to quickly reconnect though.

Otherwise, you can only rejoin any-time after one-minute of match time has passed up until the match completes. However you only have two minutes to do so without penalty. If you rejoin a match after two-minutes, you will still automatically be marked with a loss an be penalized with a -50 SR cut and a ten-minute suspension. This rule ensures that no one can abusive the leaver system by attempting to return to a match after deliberately leaving in order to avoid such penalties. Furthermore leaving three or more times in a single match will result in an automatic penalty. If you fail to return to a match by the time it ends normally (regardless of match result) you will be penalized.

Unfortunately all disconnections and game crashes counts as leaving the match and will be penalized appropriately. The game server has no way to discern a legitimate disconnection or game crash from one that is forcefully caused by a dishonest player to bypass leaver penalties. You can learn about this policy here:

I will take a look and comment in a bit.

Your wording is a little confusing, but I think you see why these rules are in place from my explanation. To further expand on this, I have recently players at higher ranks in twitch streams who are now trolling regardless of penalty by returning and leaving, which prevents teammates from the free option of forfeiting the match after two minutes.

I have commented on your opinions in the past, and my stance remains, backfilling is not a fair solution for the team that did not have the leaver. If the team with the leaver/backfill won, the other team would feel cheated out of the original match pairing.

So it’s fine for the team with the leaver to feel cheated but it’s not okay for the other team?

Don’t be ridiculous.

Blizzard need to add backfill to Competitive to ensure that matches remain fair and balanced, regardless of whether it was the original pairing or a backfiller coming in to take a leaver’s spot.

Because the leaver is an uncontrolled change to the state of the game. Attempting to compensate for it is a controlled changed. Sorry but this is the reason.

It would still be uncontrolled because the leaver was random and the backfiller would be random too.

It’s inconceivable that Blizzard leave a team to be a player (or more) down in a Competitive environment when there is functionality already existing in the game in other modes that could be added to ensure the environment remains fair and balanced for both teams.

Its quite conceivable. Because the game mode we are talking about is COMPETITIVE play. Yes the functionality exists but they will not turn it on. Sorry but a NASCAR driver doesn’t get a new car if they are wrecked by a different driver to keep racing. England had to play a man down when a player was injured in the last few minutes in their recent world cup match. Those are both unfair circumstances to innocent players, but their rules are in place to ensure the most fair possible condition for all competitors.

Players would be mad if I was on a team that was winning before the opponent had a leaver, a new player comes in and somehow carries their team. While the argument can be made that they should have been able to also beat the player that backfilled into that match, you must remember the matchmaker works to build the original match to be as balanced among the 12 original members of that pairing. So that team now has a new resource they did not have before, where as the intact team still only has the six original players.

Besides backfilling is not a fun duty to fulfill. In casual modes, its not so bad because in most cases, the match will just start up again after the post-game (unless too many players elect to leave then), so you keep having fun playing the game and this is not a problem with those modes. In Competitive, you play one match. Backfilling would feel terrible especially if you join in the late part of the game. Also would the backfiller have to risk their SR? If so that would be unfair for that backfiller. If not, then matchmaking would no longer be more accurate and will result in even MORE matches that are perceived as being imbalanced.

This is conceivable and this is the most fair solution with all things considered. As I have said many times, if leavers are an issue, then group up. The Endorsement and LFG tools now make this easy and effective.

2 Likes