30FPS on Switch

It really isn’t a miracle at all, considering Paladins was on the switch long before Overwatch.

PFF no, no…the wii doesnt even have an HDMI output

I have one.
I use it to play MH3Tri, and I have the adapter that upscales to 1080P.

just look it up, you’ll see what I’m talking about.

Considering Overwatch’s overreliance on particle effects?

Not seeing any of the following;

• Bullet trails
  • Projectile trails
  • Any CC ability
  • Hit impact sparks for hit registry (or no-reg)
  • Souls for Rez
  • Explosions
  • Any ultimate that glows
  • Not being able to see a Sombra teleport based on the trail
  • Not being able to see Teleporter locations based on the player’s walk path
  • Not being able to see Tracer Recalled/Blinked
  • Not being able to see Genji Deflect

Yeah, framerate takes a back seat to particle systems.

Frameratws make for an exponentially better experience, but it still takes a backseat to a baseline playable experience.

The Wii, not the Wii U.

Look, I cant post a link for you to check out, so just google Wii 1080p adapter. I use one, it’s set up right behind me.

That’s not the Wii, the Wii literally only has AV/Component Output which is a standardized maximum spec of 480i/480p.

Any converters out there are doing an Analog-to-Digital conversion that upscales the signal to a 1080p or 720p display with heavy processing like sharpening, but in so doing also increases input delay…

It’s not the console doing the heavy lifting of outputting double the resolution, it’s the adapter.

The Wii doesn’t have a gamepad. The Wii U has the gamepad, and HDMI out which can outpur 1080p signals but is usually an upscaled signal depending on the game.

1 Like

It feels good enough, and the image is far better. I use it to play MH3tri.

I didn’t notice any amount of input delay increase so, it’s pretty good. And yes the adapter is component to HDMI.

That’s not the point.

The point is, the Wii can only out put a certain number of pixels and the Switch literally pushes between 1.8 - 4x the number of pixels natively, which means it’s that magnitude more powerful than the Wii… but in the grand scheme of the entire gaming console market is considered entry level.

The Wii is locked at 480p with scaled stretched output, you’re thinking the Wii U which was an entirely different console that came out after.

The Wii was made with a native 4:3 aspect ratio in mind, the Wii U outputs a native 16:9. Normal component cables can output stretched 4:3 to a 16:9 aspect ratio, but the Wii was not designed with 720p or 1080p in mind. The Wii U was.

Wii =/= Wii U

1 Like

Also, while we’re on the subject, the Wii U is still weaker than the Switch by a large margin.

Wii U has a complete lack of antialiasing, has a smaller VRAM buffer and lesser texture filtering because of the smaller VRAM buffer.

Also, and I can’t stress this enough, the Wii U still doesn’t have the raw compute power to support PBR and PBR-lite shaders that the Switch does, which when used in a stylized fashion like 99% of all Switch titles, delivers little to no conveyance of actually physically accurate rendering, but is still more demanding than older raster rendering systems.

2 Likes

Yeah I said it earlier on I got the two mixed up because I’ve been at a grind raising teeny tiny few week old puppies so over the course of a week I’m getting like 10 hours sleep and my brain is FRIED. I screwed up and mixed up the names of the consoles like a spud. Happens.

As said above, I was trying to compare the wii u to the switch but tired potato brain screwed it up, I thought I already said that when I replied to you but incase I didn’t and I’m having sleepless fever dreams here it is again. I’m so flat batteried I’m screwing so many things up :l

1 Like

That’s fine, we’re only human, but still see my above post.

1 Like

Yeah I guess, still feels like a sidegrade between the wiiU and the switch though, even though there are obvious improvements in the switch, it’s still not that much better than it’s predecessor in terms of raw power, where the switch more efficiently utilizes raw power.

I’m glad one of us is thinking while my brain is toasted :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Again, the Switch has a library of stylized games (or, how normies call it, “cartoony”) where the PBR rendering is completely masked by the art style.

PBR rendering can do everything the old raster system could, but can also do physically (as in actual physics) simulated and accurate representations of every surface in the real world except thin-film/iridescence/microsurfaces. These shaders number in the high 60s, compared to the old raster systems’ 9-ish shader library.

The old raster system can’t simulate the attributes of the other 50 shaders at all.

1 Like

Agreed.
Back to the original question that brought me here though, do you think a nintendo switch could reasonably run overwatch at 60FPS without dips or eaten inputs during the stutters?

You can be the tiebreaker since you seem to know exactly what you are talking about :slight_smile:

Im by no means an absolute authority, but yes I do think it’d be possible despite all of the naysayers.

Optimizing the game heavily with lots of occlusion culling on the map, substantially reducing the intensity of particle systems, using the higher clock speed in docked mode with an adaptive resolution system, and even just lower fidelity characters and maps could do the trick.

And absolutely definitely if they decided to completely ditch the DX12 wrapper and go back to their tried and true WoW raster rendering. But that’s not likely, if the news publications about Blizzard transitioning everyone in their dev teams to a fork of the Overwatch engine are true.

The input stutter/loss is going to be inevitable with the Switch’s base internet connectivity unless they run the game at a lower tickrate like Overwatch was at launch, but the framerate could be unlocked and go higher than 30 without a doubt at 720p. Whether or not it’s a proper 60, or something more like high 40s-mid 50s is a tossup, but you CAN make compromises and sacrifice some of the characteristic aesthetic.

The best way I could describe it would be… PS2 graphics.

But Blizzard apparently doesn’t want to opt for it.

2 Likes

Nah, it was clearly a joke… I hope…

If it wasn’t for 30fps, Switch would be more competitive than XBox or PS4, tilt controls are more precise than joystick.

Yeah… that’s not how that works bud.

Competitive FPS players aren’t playing their competitive FPS games on switch. Simple as that.