30FPS on Switch

The. System. Is. Not. Powerful. Enough.

I forgot to mention Blizzard did a heck of a job getting the size down. 12 gigs is great, less than Smash! Storage shouldnt be an issue at all.

Funny as you say, if you wish to know more, Iron Galaxy ported the game to the Switch.

They ported several popular games including Borderlands 2, Destiny, Batman Arkham Origins, Spyro Triology, Bioshock Infinite, etc.

Docked doesn’t give it any more power, it just puts the image on the tv

Ya but wouldnt that give an advatange over people playin undocked in the same game? Otherwise its all relative. Ive everyone on switch playing each9ther is at 30 fps, then in the end its all the same when it comes to inputlag, so all fair around.

that logic can come onto PC as well. i run at like 40-50 fps while others can run at 144 fps. i have an unfair advantage but its all really about how smooth the animation comes out as, so no, not an unfair advantage

ok but were they any good? did they do a good job porting them or were the reviews mixed?

No matter how they go about it, the switch has awful hardware.
It’s not a half baked port, it’s an awful machine.
CPU : Clock speed 1020MHz 4 cores.
Gpu docked speed, and this is its MAXIMUM. GPU: Docked speed 768MHz

That’s like building a PC with an i3 2120 and a gt 610 GPU (which still has better performance than the switch video card, coming in at 810mhz base clock) and expecting to get more than 40 frames a second on its LOWEST SETTINGS.

Bad port no, bad console? YEAH. IT’S FULL OF BAD HARDWARE OFCOURSE OVERWATCH IS GOING TO BE 30FPS LOCKED. It couldn’t even theoretically REACH 60 FPS, and everytime you get into a fight the framerate would dip well below 60FPS and stutter, so 30 frames lock is THE BEST CASE SCENARIO.

Y’all thinking the switch is a magic machine that can run 60fps as long as it’s coded properly… no. It will never be that way. It’s hardware is a flat block to it’s potential framerate.

If you are “into hardware” you should expect a Nintendo to have 10 year old specs just like everything they release…….

is the switch remotely better than nintendo’s previous consoles like the wii u or Wii at least?
or is it a step down despite it being dockable and handheld

No, the port is bad, just the fact that they cut framerate instead of resolution and textures shows how bad this port is, they cut what they shouldn’t, even PC players with high-end PCs usually play this game in low settings due how important performance is in OW…

The Switch can run Paladins at 60fps (which is a free 2 play game!!!) and The Witcher 3 at 30, which is the standart framerate for its console versions, what is your excuse? Black magic?

My pc hit 300 frames on paladins at it’s maximum settings. Overwatch on it’s lowest settings hits around 300 stable, but if I crank it up, it runs at 160ish. Paladins isn’t remotely similar in terms of performance requirements.

Along with the articles that continually note that the witcher 3 runs at 30 fps with MAJOR DIPS IN PERFORMANCE.

It’s still not a bad port. Overwatch runs on an xbox one at 60FPS with PERFOMANCE DIPS. Why would you expect a mobile console with worse hardware to be able to match the consoles without having extreme fluctuations that would render the game unplayable thanks to it’s inability to deal well with dips that result not only in image stutter, but it causes the switch to literally eat inputs because when it stutters it has such bad performance that it stops your inputs from going through, think that is okay in a PvP fps game?! It’s fine that it happens in the witcher because it’s PvM entirely and it won’t matter much. But overwatch, no.

The Wii U does have worse hardware as it’s also a portable device, it’s the ps2 vs the ps3 basically, it’s predecessor was obviously worse.
But the Wii itself has relatively very similar specs to the nintendo switch, the nintendo switch IS an upgrade, but… it’s also BARELY an upgrade. I myself would call it a side grade in terms of performance, very similar output.

Batman Arkham Origins was a flop mostly due to Warner Bros forcing them to rush the port. They’ve done ports that were beyond current AAA+ games in terms of features and graphics (like having games run at 1440p 60 frames, while some other well known cames still struggle 1440p.

THey’re given a time limit to port games, Warner Bros tried to “shorten it” and it seems that most people only remembers the flop and not the success the company had. It’s also currently one of Switch’s best porting company. They ported Diablo III as well on the Switch.

Altho, they’re bad at porting console games to PC, but PC games to consoles, they’re known for it, but again, overshadowed by Batman’s port from console to PC. They’d prob would have a better rep if it wasn’t for that.

i guess hope isnt lost on this port after all

The only thing we could blame them for is the tools available. Either hardware-wise (Nintendo) or timelapse-wise (Blizzard). If they didnt rush the port, the 30FPS cap doesn’t even scare me at all. 30FPS can be very very smooth if ported perfectly fine.

yeah thats true. hopefully there wont be frame spikes and the game will be worth the non-refundable money

1 Like

After having played bloodstained on Ps4 im half tempted to buy it again for switch… Metriodvaina type games (as dumb as this sounds) are literally my favouite of game… lol

The switch isn’t THAT powerful. It really is NOT. So yes, it is going to be set at 30fps instead of 60.

To add to this, the Dock was announced to upscale the resolution from 720p to 900p for Overwatch

That upscale could have instead been a framerate change, from 30 to 30+ unlocked.

Power isn’t the operative word here.

Optimization is.

See above. Optimization CAN make it run 60 fps.

New modern games, with enough optimization and removal of certain features (usually newer graphics APIs), can run on PS2s.

Let that sink in for a moment,

1 Like

Its totally broke on the switch atm very buggy and laggy

Literally what?

The Wii’s maximum output resolution is 480p, and the graphics libraries the old ATI/AMD chips had are not at all able to render out PBR-lite shaders.

Switch has almost double the resolution (4x in docked mode to 900p) and can render PBR-lite shaders. Expanded color gamut too.

1 Like