15 bucks for this is a SCAM

Welp, all cinematics and lore are free on yt at least. :grinning:

I mean that’s how Blizzard wants players to think. They make Story missions exclusive to PVP bundles to up the price even for people who perhaps only wanted to play the missions.

Since the missions can’t be bought separately I’m not fan of this reasoning to try to say that they are $5 or $10 like some people do on this forum. It’s $40 for 3 skins, 2000 coins, 20 BP levels and 3 missions. Or $15 for 1 skin 1000 coins and 3 missions, not $5 for 3 story missions.

1 Like

Easy way to get permabanned in every online game though.

1 Like

Simple. The gameplay feels similar to a COD or Battlefield campaign, being a linear level, lot of cinematic action happening around you.

It’s distinction is, that enemies have much more HP and it’s balanced a lot about ability usage, which is the „Overwatch“ touch and makes it unique.

Because of the different enemy types, people like to draw the comparison to L4D. While the enemies do have a LOT of similarities, L4D is a horde shooter and feels completely different.

So Overwatch PvE can’t really be compared to other games, as it takes a lot of aspects from other popular titles and adds the Overwatch sauce.

My intention though was not to compare it to other games, but I was genuinely interested what that person was expecting going into PvE.

A lot of competitive people (which includes most of the Overwatch community) is not interested in shooting bots. If this person does not enjoy PvE Games at all, why would it be different in Overwatch PvE.

We already knew what to expect from the PvE campaign. They told us half a year ago what they scrapped and what stayed. So for me I was expecting archives (which I had a lot of fun with) + cinematic action happening. And they delivered more than that in my opinion.

Fun fact, before the dark days Jeff Kaplan used to come on the forums and drop info. One such info drop was the time spent in different modes. Most player time was spent outside of the main competitive modes, though normal ranked was always the 1st or 2nd largest group: Blizzard please keep classic comp - #52 by JeffreyKaplan

The only region where the number of people playing ranked modes was greater than non-ranked was Korea.

Not sure how much those numbers have changed in the last year though.

4 Likes

Yes, what I meant to say is that people play Overwatch because they enjoy the PvP experience. As seen by the popularity of archive events, the community’s interest in PvE is mediocre at best.
The „typical“ Overwatch player might not enjoy mindlessly shooting bots. For me it was the same before starting to enjoy games on highest difficulty.

By introducing PvE they aim to draw in more players that are not interested in the PvP aspect.
Sadly for these players the entrance barrier is way too high, as PvE requires a 15€ purchase.

That’s the thing, it wasnt.
People enjoyed it, but it lacked replayability. As a result they’re always super active when the event starts, but dies off after a few plays.

The original OW2 was supposed to introduce high replayability resolve that issue, but…you know the story.

There are definitely people who like the OW universe more than the pvp experience

It def costs too much, but I’ve never been sold on that reasoning. People are paying at least a couple hundred for a pc/console as an initial investment, plus monthly costs of electricity, internet, and/or console subscription.

There’s more people willing to try OW2 because it’s free. There are some who for some reason or another have some pc/console/internet/sub combo and can’t get the $15, but I believe way more people just don’t want to spend $15 because it’s not a good value to them. People expect more when money is involved.

1 Like

There are so many things wrong with what you said that I could go into but it’s pretty obvious that it wouldn’t make sense to you so might as well not waste my time.

Yes, because the execs crapped the content off and made the sh+tty ones on charge now put the price on it.

Yeah, sure. I’m sure Bobby came in after 3 years, saw all the PvE content that was groundbreaking and amazing and engaging and fun and just oh so great, and moved all of that into the trash. With his own personal “I am destroying files for no reason”-mouse.

Surely it’s not that they couldn’t get anything done in those 3 years. Surely it’s not that Jeff has oversold the product and overestimated his and his team’s abilities. Surely it’s not, after skill trees not working in Titan after 7 years, that the whole thing was doomed from the start.

As they progressed in the game, they would gain points to use to spend on a skill tree for that character. Kaplan said that, near the point of Titan 's cancellation, the variety of skills they had in the game led to overpowered combinations, and described the result as “very cluttered and confused.”

Oh, will you look at that. Surely it’ll work this time:

Morhaime had stated that Titan was cancelled because the company failed to control the scope of the game. He described Titan as essentially being two games developed in parallel, which created development pipeline problems.

Surely.

Overwatch would have gone in several directions. The most notable comparisons I can make are…
Warframe.
Borderlands.
DRG.

Warframe maps are pretty lifeless. However, it lets you face off against a bunch of enemies in a semi open format.
Borderlands goes in on the chaos, large health pools, and ability play. Carried by dialogue as you play.
DRG goes in on the horde shooter element.

Of these games, OW is most closely resembling Borderlands, but in a a L4D2 style linear map progression.

Sadly, the freedom of borderlands was its open style world.
The bonus of DRG was its truly randomized experience where every playthrough was truly repeatable.

OW PvE sadly limits itself to the more CoD style where campaign is played a few times, but ultimately sidestepped for the PvP experience.

The word “scam” or “illegal” or “fraud” has been overused in this community to the point where it’s just synonymous with “I don’t like it” rather than what these words actually mean.

It’s beyond juvenile. It’s $15, if you don’t like the content (or disagree with the content), don’t buy it. It’s really that simple. Quit while you’re at it, you’ll make more of a statement by taking a tick off of the player count than misusing the words you chose to use.

1 Like

Is $15 too much for them though? Some people, myself included, have no use for coins, whether it’s to buy the battlepass or a skin.

If you got it effectively for $5, that’s great for you. But for some people, it’s $15 for those missions and nothing else they’ll use. And while I don’t think a dollar per hour rate is a good way to look at media, I will say that I don’t think the Archives events I’ve played before would be worth $15 for 5 total hours of playtime with no real replayability to me personally.

3 Likes

Then “It’s only $20”
Then “it’s only $25”
Then “it’s only $30”
Then “it’s only $35”

etc. etc. Why can’t I buy the PVE missions by themself without any stupid coins? Because Blizzard. It’s scum marketing. Oh you want this banana? Well, you gotta buy a chocolate bar with it. This is stupid.

3 Likes

You seemed to have missed the rest of the quote that addressed your point.

Don’t buy it to make a point, or quit to make an even bigger point.

Sheep will be sheep. Some people quitting quietly doesn’t make any actual difference.

2 Likes

It makes a bigger difference than you would care to admit.

Don’t buy the PvE, it makes a statement. Don’t play the game, makes a bigger statement.

Circling back to the main point, the word “scam” is a misnomer.

1 Like

i dont want to play devil’s advocate buuuuut
if you bought the “pve” pack after seeing everything that has happened since OW2 launch…

you walked right into that one chief.

Overwatch’s mistake was being paid with everything free within the game.

If it was free from the beginning with this monetization system, nobody would complain.

The game will only go forward when first of all, remove that number 2 in front of the name.

2 Likes