🔷 How the "5 DPS instalocks" problem could've been solved

EDIT: jumping in with the hot tea :coffee:, somewhat related

Play-time based matchmaking

Match 2 supports, 2 tanks and 2 DPS together based on what role each player has played the most within the last X days, with no restrictions regarding the hero roster.

Having, for example, support as your most played game still doesn’t guarantee you will be matched as support in the next match you play, but you will have a higher precentage to be matched as your most played role.

You can communicate/strategize with your team to play a different role. The solution above is, from the technical side, much easier and, in my opinion, a good compromise between role queue/no role queue.

Judging by how role queue functions nowadays, I’m convinced the main issue Blizzard had with the matchmaking was that they had very bad time balancing the game instead of focusing only on the “5 DPS instalocks” problem, which is why they went with the strict 2/2/2 system.

Well guess what, queue times are long and Echo certainly didn’t help that.

14 Likes

Or realize that the “5 DPS Instalock” myth was just that, a myth. :man_shrugging:

28 Likes

No.

You have open queue now, go play that if you still dont like 222.

Also, Echo is now banned this week. Dps is always gonna be the most popular role regardless of how many tanks/supports they’d add.

20 Likes

Thank you for completely disregarding my post and providing 0 thoughtful arguments to solve the problem.

In other words, thank you for the bump.

12 Likes

i would really like to see statistics on how the role distribution has been in open-queue modes historically.
im very sure that 4-5DPS is absolutely not a myth, but of course my anecdotal evidence is worthless, so actual statistics,… that would be great!

7 Likes

It didn’t even exist in the first place.

It was not, it was a regular occurance.

46 Likes

It could have been solved by Blizzard not completely ruining the QP queue…

2 Likes

I really don’t get why people are so adamant to flat out lie about this …

1 Like

It did happen quite a lot, to be honest.

Obviously, the main target with role queue was to get rid of goats, which Blizzard has been struggling for a long time to balance (and they never really did), but we can’t completely eliminate the fact that it obviously did happen.

8 Likes

You may not have experienced it, but it was 100% a regular occurrence for me. Maybe i noticed it more since i never did it myself?

17 Likes

yeah that wont help queue times

It was no myth.

13 Likes

It did not happen “quite a lot”. It happened once in a blue moon if even. Sometimes you’d start off with maybe 4 DPS but after a few seconds people switch. The same thing happens now with open comp. Go see for yourself.

1 Like

To you.

I remember that happening quite a lot. Lots of game just thrown because people wanted to play their DPS hero.

I’m not disregarding the fact that this wasn’t Blizzard’s main target when introducing role queue, but it did happen.

9 Likes

You remember it so vividly because you were SO incredibly annoyed by it when it happened these two times.

1 Like

No.

I remember it happening multiple times a day, actually. I’m one of those who used to grind the game a lot.

12 Likes

Not in Competitive play

You must be looking at the past through rose-coloured glasses.

8 Likes

What about role SR?
Or if you want to play a different role?

It won’t solve these problems.
I see people with 1K SR difference between there roles quite frequently and I don’t want a silver tank in a plat game. A plat Rein will shred a silver Rein